Triumph In the Skies
|Triumph in the Skies |
"歲月如歌" by |
"我不愛你" by |
|Country of origin||Hong Kong|
|No. of episodes||40|
|Producer(s)||Poon Ka Tak|
|Running time||45 minutes (approx.)|
|Original network||TVB Jade|
|Original release||27 October – 19 December 2003|
|Followed by||Triumph in the Skies II (2013)|
Triumph in the Skies is a Hong Kong drama television series that premiered on TVB in 2003, starring Francis Ng, Flora Chan, Joe Ma and Myolie Wu. The drama tells the lives of pilots working for the fictional Solar Airways based on Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific.
It has been cited as one of TVB's best serial dramas, and there were plans for a sequel to be filmed in 2006. However, it was delayed due to negotiations with an airline to provide support. In May 2011, TVB announced that a sequel was in development, with filming beginning in the early months of 2012. The sequel, titled Triumph in the Skies II, aired on TVB Jade on 15 July 2013.
Triumph in the Skies has been compared to the now-cancelled NBC series LAX. It sparked an interest in aviation when first aired amongst Hong Kong viewers, as well as an interest in a small doll named "Triangel" featured early on in the series.
- Samuel 唐亦琛 Tong (portrayed by Francis Ng) - A senior pilot at Solar Airways. Having grown up with best buddy, Vincent, they both strive to be the first Chinese captain at Solar. Straitlaced and serious, he regularly checks his emotions, so he often appears cold-hearted.
- Isabelle "Belle" 樂以珊 Lok (portrayed by Flora Chan) - A member of the Solar cabin crew, she first met Samuel in Rome and falls in love with him. Due to a misunderstanding, however, she eventually met and fell in love with Vincent, and marries him instead.
- Vincent 凌雲志 Ling (portrayed by Joe Ma) - Sam's best friend and fellow senior pilot. He was a playboy and treated his relationships with women casually, but he later changed his outlook on life. He dies mid-series.
- Zoe 蘇怡 So Yi (portrayed by Myolie Wu) - A bubbly, vivacious and naive person, she aspired to work at the airport after a medical incident on an airplane.
- Zita 童希欣 Tung Hei Yan (portrayed by Michelle Ye) - She began her career as the only female trainee pilot in the cadre. Growing up in a single parent family, she repeatedly searched for her father, whom she believes is in Japan.
- Issac 唐亦風 Tong Yik Fung (portrayed by Ron Ng) - The younger brother of Samuel. He grew up believing his mother was his older sister, but finally found out the truth behind his family story. Initially immature and irresponsible, he later became a pilot with Solar.
- Donald 萬浩聰 Man Ho Chung (portrayed by Sammul Chan) - Coming from a wealthy family, he followed his love interest, Zita, into Solar as a trainee pilot, and nurtured a love for that profession.
- Chris 謝立豪 Tse Lik Ho (portrayed by Bosco Wong) - Despite being relatively poorer than Donald, he grew up with him, due to his father's occupation as Donald's father's chauffeur. He aspired for a career in aviation.
- Roy 高志宏 Ko Chi Wan (portrayed by Kenneth Ma) - A poor kid who joined Solar to upgrade and continue the family tradition of being drivers, which is the occupation of all of his family members.
- Coco 凌卓芝 Ling Cheuk Chi (portrayed by Nancy Wu) - Vincent's little sister who lived in Australia until she moved to Hong Kong to join Solar as an air stewardess. Initially jealous of Belle, she is soon won over.
- Phillip 唐璜 Tong (portrayed by Shek Sau) -The previously womanising playboy father of Samuel and Isaac, who works in the airport as their head chef.
- Cammy 刑佳美 Ying (portrayed by Mary Hon) - Wife of Phillip and the mother of both Samuel and Isaac. She and Phillip were separated once, but has since reunited. She later joined the airport as staff.
- Ruby 貝嘉露 Pui (portrayed by Louisa So) - One of Belle's best friends and ex-housemate. She is strict in her work and demands the best in everyone.
- Paul 莫善波 Mok (portrayed by Jerry Lamb) - Zoe's cousin. He initially aspired to be a pilot, but after failing his pilot examination three times, he joined the airport ground staff instead.
- Tina 葉雁婷 Yip (portrayed by Rebecca Chan) - Zita's mother; training instructor for cabin crew.
- Vicky 丘慧琪 Yau (portrayed by Margaret Chung) - An experienced stewardess onboard Solar aircraft.
- Kam Chak Tai (Lok Ying Kwan)
- Tony Ching (Patrick Dunn)
- Szeto Hin (Andy Tai)
- Tang Wai Nei (Natalie Wong)
- Chee Sheung Man (Deno Cheung)
- Tong Wan Miu (Fung Hiu Man)
- Chow Wan Tin (Samuel Lau)
- Mimi (Eileen Yeow)
- Episode 6: Twins
- Episode 26: Eason Chan
- Episodes 34, 37, and 39: Cerina de Graca
- Episodes 34, 37, 39, and 40: Patrick Tang
- Episode 32, 35: Josh WongDave Wong
- Episode 40(end): Fred Cheng, Chris Lai