Troels Brun Folmann
|Troels Brun Folmann|
10 January 1974 |
|Genres||Orchestral, electronic, electro-acoustic|
|Associated acts||8dio Production
(music samples library)
(advertising music library)
Troels Brun Folmann (born 10 January 1974 in Copenhagen) is a Danish composer specialised in epic orchestral music featured in TV shows, trailers and video games, such as the Tomb Raider series, and commercial/trailers for films such as Spider-Man 3, X-Men: The Last Stand, The Illusionist and 10,000 BC, and the fourth season of TV series America's Got Talent. He has worked on the Tomb Raider series with Crystal Dynamics for Tomb Raider: Legend, Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Tomb Raider: Underworld, and the spin-off Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, refreshing for the first time the classical music style of the old series coming with a new way of perceiving Lara's scores, a much more electronic approach and trailer modern orchestral feeling.
Music sampling and production
Troels and Mike Peaslee owned a music sampling company called Tonehammer, a developer of premium virtual instruments for composers and producers. Mike was also in the same production team, as a sound designer, of the Crystal Dynamics main videogames where Troels worked or collaborated.  
As of August 2011, Tonehammer had come to an end. The music sampling company was split into two separate companies with Troels leading a new music-sampling company called '8dio Productions,' and Mike Peaslee leading 'Soundiron'. The aftermath of this unannounced action is that the original virtual instruments library had to be split in two distinct new libraries. The instruments of 8Dio range from epic choirs to epic percussion ensemble, solo vocals to next-generation hybrid scoring tools.
He has won multiple international awards, including British Academy Award (BAFTA) for Best Original Score, the Mix Foundation TEC Award for the Best Interactive Entertainment Sound Production at his composing debut for Tomb Raider with Tomb Raider: Legend. In addition Troels Folmann has been awarded the GDC/G.A.N.G award for his soundtrack works. Troels is also a Ph.D. scholar in Adaptive Music Systems.
Video game scores
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (2012)
- Carrier Command: Gaea Mission (2012)
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (2010) (re-editing tracks from Tomb Raider: Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld, with Colin O'Malley)
- Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008) (Composer of the Main Theme and bulk supervisor to composer Colin O'Malley)
- Tomb Raider: Anniversary (2007)
- Tomb Raider: Legend (2006)
- Project Snowblind (2005)
- Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown (2003)
Film trailer scores
- America's Got Talent (2009)
- Batman Arkham Asylum (2009)
- Kings (2009)
- Valkyrie (2008)
- 10,000 BC (2008)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
- The Last Mimzy (2007)
- Spider-Man 3 (2007)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
- The Illusionist (2006)
- Mix Foundation / TEC Award for Best Interactive Sound Production (2007)
- GDC/GANG Award for Best Original Soundtrack (2007)
- British Academy Video Games Award for Best Original Score (2006)
- Scandinavian D3 Award for Best Composer of All Time (2006)
- allgame.com. "Credits for Legend". www.allgame.com. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- allgame.com. "Credits for Anniversary". www.allgame.com. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- allgame.com. "Credits for Underworld". www.allgame.com. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- Troels Folmann (2007-10-07). "Won the Mix Foundation TEC award". www.troelsfolmann.com. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- Official website
- Official blog
- Troels Brun Folmann at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview with Tomb Raider: Legend composer Troels Folmann
|Tomb Raider composer