|Event type||Ski mountaineering|
|Official site||Trofeo Mezzalama|
The Mezzalama Trophy (Italian: Trofeo Mezzalama, French: Trophée Mezzalama, a.k.a. white marathon) is an Italian high altitude ski mountaineering competition in upper Valtournenche and Ayas valleys, in Aosta Valley.
The Mezzalama Trophy, that belongs to the "big three of ski mountaineering" (French: les grandes trois de ski de montagne) besides the two other best-known and classical skimountaineering events, the Patrouille des Glaciers and the Pierra Menta, is the highest alpine ski mountaineering competition of the world. The event in the Monte Rosa's massif was named in honor of the mountain guide Ottorino Mezzalama.
The Mezzalama Trophy is a stage of La Grande Course that includes the most important ski mountaineering competitions of the season.
The Mezzalama Trophy Foundation was founded by friends of Ottorino Mezzalama in 1933 in his memory, one of them was Mario Corti. The race was held every year from 1933 and to 1938. Entry was open only to men; the first female participant is presumed to be Paula Wiesinger, who had been invited to view the race in 1935. When Giusto Gervasutti withdrew due to injury, she put on his military uniform and cap and, wearing sunglasses, ran instead of him, but was discovered at a checkpoint. The 1935 Trofeo Mezzalama was filmed by Mario Craveri in his film "Maratona Bianca".
After 1938 the race was discontinued (except that in 1940 a platonic race was carried out under the name marcia nazionale Ottorino Mezzalama by the Ski Club Torino). Further races were held in 1971, 1973, 1975, and in 1978, and the Mezzalama Trophy was revived as a regular biennial race with the eleventh race in 1997.
In 1975, the Mezzalama Trophy was held as World Championship of Skimountaineering. 33 civilian teams, 12 mountain guide teams and 11 military teams participated in this event. In that year, the first female team competed officially. Together with the Pierra Menta and the Tour du Rutor event, the Mezzalama Trophy is part of the Trophée des Alpes (French for Alps' Trophy) series.
Editions and winners
The list shows the winning teams for each edition of the Trofeo Mezzalama.
- Umberto Pelazza, Antonio Vizzi: Il Trofeo Mezzalama 1933-1997 : Storia e leggenda della sci-alpinistica piu alta del mondo (Italian) (Aosta) - ed. La Vallee, 1999
- Rolf Majcen: Bergauf - Abenteuer Ausdauersport (German) ISBN 978-3-900533-39-7
- Le tappe dealla leggendaria "maratona bianca" (Italian)
- Trofeo Mezzalama 2007: 16. Auflage des Klassikers am 29. April[permanent dead link] (German), M2b, April 26, 2007.
- Paula Wiesinger (German), FemBio.
- Trofeo Mezzalama, il fascino di una leggenda che si rinnova (Italian), La Stampa, April 15, 2009.
- La rinascita degli anni Settanta Archived 2011-07-28 at the Wayback Machine (Italian), p. 4.
- "Trofeo Mezzalama (Mezzalama Trophy)". NEWSPOWER Trento. Archived from the original on 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- Le tappe della leggendaria “maratona bianca” (Italian).
- Giuseppe Martelli: altre notizie degli alpini bolognesi romagnoli (Italian), November 15, 2005.
- Trofeo Mezzalama - Ein Hochgebirgswettlauf der Sonderklasse Archived 2011-10-07 at the Wayback Machine (German), p. 44.
- Rielaborazione storia libro Camisasca Archived 2012-02-19 at the Wayback Machine
- The winners of the 1934 edition, planetmountain.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-24. Retrieved 2012-03-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Compagnoni Aristide, Severino e Ottavio Archived 2010-06-21 at the Wayback Machine (Italian).
- Gianfranco Stella Archived 2011-07-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Albo d'oro
- Genuin Angelo Archived 2011-07-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Cavalcata da leggenda Trionfo da Skyrunners, May 4, 1997.
- Men's best three and best women since 1997 Archived 2011-07-22 at the Wayback Machine
- La Forestale da record trionfa nel Mezzalama (Italian), April 25, 1999.
- "2001 Trofeo Mezzalama" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-04-09. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- 2003 Trofeo Mezzalama
- 2005 Trofeo Mezzalama
- 2007 Trofeo Mezzalama
- 2009 Trofeo Mezzalama
- 2011 Trofeo Mezzalama - men results Archived 2012-02-27 at the Wayback Machine
- 2011 Trofeo Mezzalama - women results
- 2013 Trofeo Mezzalama - men results
- 2013 Trofeo Mezzalama - women results
- "Classifica Trofeo Mezzalama 2015 Femminile - Women". La Grande Course. Archived from the original on 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- "Classifica XXI Trofeo Mezzalama 2017 Maschile - Men". La Grande Course. 2017-04-22. Archived from the original on 2017-06-11. Retrieved 2017-06-11.
- "Classifica XXI Trofeo Mezzalama 2017 Femminile - Women". La Grande Course. 2017-04-22. Archived from the original on 2017-06-11. Retrieved 2017-06-11.