Zhu L.Yang, Y.C.Li & L.P.Tang (2012)
|gills on hymenium|
|ecology is saprotrophic|
Trogia venenata, also known as the little white mushroom, is a species of fungus in the Marasmiaceae family indigenous to Yunnan province, in southwest China. Consumption is deadly for both humans and mice, as the mushroom contains three toxic amino acids.
This is the presumed cause of Yunnan sudden death syndrome. However, in December 2012 it was announced that Dr. Xu Jianping (徐建平) has been collecting samples of Trogia venenata in Yunnan for the past three years, and his research now shows that barium (previously thought to be the cause) levels in the wild mushroom are no higher than those of common foods such as poultry and fish.
Nonetheless, it appears the mushroom will still likely play a role. Since publication of the widely circulated 2010 Science article, no instances of Yunnan sudden death syndrome have been reported.
- Media related to Trogia venenata at Wikimedia Commons
- Data related to Trogia venenata at Wikispecies
- "Trogia venenata". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2017. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
This taxon has not yet been assessed for the IUCN Red List, but is in the Catalogue of Life: Trogia venenata Zhu L. Yang, Y.C. Li & L.P. Tang, 2012
- Yang, Z. L.; Li, Y. C.; Tang, L. P.; Shi, G. Q.; Zeng, G. (2012). "Trogia venenata (Agaricales), a novel poisonous species which has caused hundreds of deaths in southwestern China". Mycological Progress. 11 (4): 937–945. doi:10.1007/s11557-012-0809-y.
- Tran, T. (14 July 2010). "Toxic mushrooms kill hundreds in China". Australian Geographic.
Now, after a five-year investigation, an elite investigative unit from China's Centre for Disease Control and Prevention believes it has pinpointed the cause: an innocuous-looking small mushroom known as the little white.
- Zhou, Z. Y.; Shi, G. Q.; Fontaine, R.; Wei, K.; Feng, T.; Wang, F.; Wang, G. Q.; Qu, Y.; Li, Z. H.; Dong, Z. J.; Zhu, H. J.; Yang, Z. L.; Zeng, G.; Liu, J. K. (2012). "Evidence for the Natural Toxins from the Mushroom Trogia venenata as a Cause of Sudden Unexpected Death in Yunnan Province, China". Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 51 (10): 2368–2370. doi:10.1002/anie.201106502. PMID 22287497.