Trolleybuses in Ashton-under-Lyne
An Ashton-under-Lyne trolleybus at Stalybridge Bus Station, 30 December 1966
|Locale||Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside, England|
|Open||26 February 1925|
|Close||31 December 1966|
|Operator(s)||Ashton Corporation Transport|
Opened on 26 February 1925 the Ashton system gradually replaced the Ashton-under-Lyne tramway network. By the standards of the various now-defunct trolleybus systems in the United Kingdom, it was a small one, with a total of only five routes, and a maximum fleet of 19 trolleybuses. It was closed on 31 December 1966 .,
Two of the former Ashton system trolleybuses are now preserved. One of them is at the Greater Manchester Transport Museum in Cheetham, Manchester, and the other one is based at the East Anglia Transport Museum, Carlton Colville, Suffolk.
- Joyce, J.; King, J. S.; and Newman, A. G. (1986). British Trolleybus Systems, pp. 19–22, 159. London: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 0-7110-1647-X.
- Short, Peter. "Former UK systems". British Trolleybus Society. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- Murray, Alan (2000). World Trolleybus Encyclopaedia, p. 73. Yateley, Hampshire, UK: Trolleybooks. ISBN 0-904235-18-1.
- Zebedee, John (30 November 2010). "A List of Preserved Trolleybuses in the UK". British Trolleybus Society. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- Booth, Gavin (2007). Bus Operators 1970: North West England and Yorkshire. Hersham, Surrey, UK: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7110-3202-6.
- Eyre, D M (1967). Manchester's Trolleybuses. Manchester, UK.
- Eyre, Michael; Heaps, Chris; Townsin, Alan (1989). The Manchester Bus. Glossop, Derbyshire, UK: Transport Publishing Co. ISBN 0-86317-151-6.
- Eyre, Mike; Heaps, Chris (2008). The Manchester Trolleybus. Hersham, Surrey, UK: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7110-3245-3.
- Lockwood, Stephen (2010). Manchester & Ashton Trolleybuses. Midhurst, West Sussex, UK: Middleton Press. ISBN 978-1-906008-73-4.
- Rowe, Bob (2006). Ashton & Manchester's Trolleybuses. Glossop, Derbyshire, UK: Venture Publications. ISBN 978-1-905304-13-4.
Media related to Trolleybuses in Ashton-under-Lyne at Wikimedia Commons
- SCT'61 website - photos and descriptions of Ashton-under-Lyne trolleybuses and early motorbuses
- National Trolleybus Archive
- British Trolleybus Society, based in Reading
- National Trolleybus Association, based in London
|This article about transport in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|