Arm of the Ramfjorden in Tromsøysund
|• Total||1,596 km2 (616 sq mi)|
|Created as||Formannskapsdistrikt in 1838|
|Merged into||Tromsø in 1964|
Tromsøysund is a former municipality in Troms county in Norway. It is located in the southern and eastern parts of the present-day municipality of Tromsø, on the island of Kvaløya and on the mainland. The municipality included the villages of Bjerkaker, Tromsdalen, and Movik.
The Tromsøe landdistrikt municipality, adjacent to the city of Tromsøe, was established on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). Around that time, the new municipality had a population of 4,286. In 1860, Balsfjord (population: 3,610) was split from Tromsøe landdistrikt to constitute a municipality of its own, leaving Tromsøe landdistrikt with 2,632 inhabitants. On 1 January 1860, an area of Tromsøe landdistrikt (population: 110) was transferred to Tromsø. In November 1860, the name of the municipality was changed to Tromsøysund. On 1 January 1873, a part of the neighboring municipality of Malangen (population: 287) was merged back into Tromsøysund (this area in Malangen was separated from Balsfjord in 1871). This area included the Bakkejord-Kvalnes-Lauksletta-Mjelde area in southern Kvaløya and Brokskar-Bentsjorda area on the mainland. At the same time, an uninhabited part of Tromsøysund was also transferred to Tromsø.
On 1 July 1915, part of Tromsøysund (population: 512) was transferred to Tromsø. Again on 1 July 1955, the Bjerkaker area of Tromsøysund (population: 1,583) was transferred to Tromsø. Finally, on 1 January 1964, all the rest of Tromsøysund was incorporated into Tromsø. Prior to the merger, Tromsøysund had a population of 16,727–somewhat more than Tromsø itself. 
- "Tromsøysund. – kommune" (in Norwegian). Store norske leksikon. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Registreringssentral for historiske data. "Hjemmehørende folkemengde Troms 1801-1960" (in Norwegian). University of Tromsø.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- "Arkivkatalog. Tromsøysund kommune. 1838–1963" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Tromsø kommune. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Tromsø travel guide from Wikivoyage