|Single by Young Money featuring Drake|
|from the album Young Money: Rise of an Empire|
|Released||February 27, 2014|
|Label||Young Money, Cash Money, Republic|
|Writer(s)||Aubrey Graham, Chauncey Hollis, M. Thomas, Noah Shebib|
|Producer(s)||Hit-Boy, Noah "40" Shebib (co.), Hagler (co.)|
|Young Money singles chronology|
"Trophies" is a song by Canadian rapper Drake. The song was produced by Hit-Boy and Noah "40" Shebib, originally for Drake's third studio album Nothing Was the Same. However, it would be left off the final track listing. After Drake released the song for free in December 2013, it was then announced to be included on the Young Money Entertainment compilation Young Money: Rise of an Empire. On February 27, 2014, it was released as the album's second official single. It has peaked at number 50 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.
The trailer Drake released for his third studio album, Nothing Was the Same (2013), featured a snippet of the Hit-Boy-produced "Trophies" playing in the background, but the song did not make the final version of the album. After teasing its release over the following months, the song surfaced on the internet on December 30, 2013. Hit-Boy has said he was more than frustrated with the track's rollout. Then saying, "But it’s love. I got respect for Drake. He knows what’s best for him. He’s been dictating his career since Day One."
The song was met with generally positive reviews from music critics. Entertainment Weekly praised it as a blustery, superstar moment. Sheldon Pearce of XXL called the song brilliant and boisterous. Writing for Now, Jordan Sowunmi said, the "stentorian hit" is "a reminder that Young Money boasts some of rap’s biggest crossover stars." David Jeffries of AllMusic said the song featured, "Drake stomping over Hit-Boy's Viking-worthy beat. A two-headed monster of a track that pits verses-filled Southern rap victory against an emo-rap chorus.
As of May 18, 2014, the song has sold 406,272 copies in the United States according to Nielsen Soundscan. It has spent multiple weeks in the top ten of the US R&B/Hip-Hop Singles Sales chart.
|Belgium Urban (Ultratop Flanders)||41|
|US Billboard Hot 100||50|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||13|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||12|
- Baker, Soren (2014-03-09). "Hip Hop Singles Sales: Week Ending 03/09/14". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Drake - Trophies (Prod. by Hit-Boy)". HipHop DX. 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Young Money Shines A Spotlight On Their Roster In 'Rise Of An Empire' - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2014-03-11. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- David Jeffries (2014-03-11). "Rise of an Empire - Young Money". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Baker, Soren. "Hip Hop Singles Sales: Week Of 05/18/14". HipHopDX. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- Baker, Soren. "Hip Hop Singles Sales: Week Of 05/04/14". HipHopDX. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Young Money feat. Drake – Trophies" (in Dutch). Ultratop Urban. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- "Lescharts.com – Young Money feat. Drake – Trophies" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Young Money – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Young Money.
- "Young Money – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Young Money.
- "Young Money – Chart history" Billboard Rhythmic Songs for Young Money. Retrieved April 17, 2014.