Trouble (Ray LaMontagne album)
|Studio album by Ray LaMontagne|
|Released||September 14, 2004|
Los Angeles, California
|Ray LaMontagne chronology|
|Robert Christgau||(C+) |
Trouble is the debut album by singer-songwriter Ray LaMontagne. It was released on September 14, 2004 in the United States, and on September 20, 2004 in the United Kingdom. Although the album was released in 2004, the song didn't enter the top five of the UK charts until August 2006. The album was produced by Ethan Johns, released on RCA Records, marketed by BMG and distributed by Stone Dwarf Records.
"Burn", "Trouble", and "All the Wild Horses" were featured in the second season of the American television show Rescue Me. "Hold You In My Arms" was featured in the 2007 season finale of the television show Grey's Anatomy. The album has sold 239,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Jennifer Stills and Sara Watkins are featured on several tracks. The album cover was designed by Jason Holley, and was chosen by LaMontagne as a "powerful and poetic piece of art".
Popular Australian singer-songwriter Missy Higgins did a cover for the song "Burn" on January 20, 2005 at the Cairns Convention Centre in Australia. "Jolene," was also covered by the Zac Brown Band, a country music band.
The song "Shelter" was featured in the film "Prime" (2005).
The song "How Come" was featured in the film "The Devil Wears Prada" (2006).
The song "Jolene" plays during the ending credits of the film "The Town" (2010).
- All tracks written by Ray LaMontagne, except "Hold You in My Arms".
- "Trouble" – 4:01
- "Shelter" – 4:36
- "Hold You in My Arms" – 5:06 (Ray LaMontagne/Ethan Johns)
- "Narrow Escape" – 4:39
- "Burn" – 2:54
- "Forever My Friend" – 5:44
- "Hannah" – 5:42
- "How Come" – 4:32
- "Jolene" – 4:10
- "All the Wild Horses" – 3:16
- Ray LaMontagne - acoustic guitar, vocals, harmonica
- Ethan Johns - Producer, engineer, mixing, string arrangements, additional guitar, drums, percussion, piano, bass guitar, harmonium
- David Low - Cello, contractor
- Julie Gigante - Violin
- Phillipe Levy - Violin
- Mark Robertson - Violin
- Roger Wilkie - Violin
- Sara Watkins - Fiddle on "Hannah" and "Jolene"; background vocals on "Hannah"
- Jen Stills - Background vocals on "Narrow Escape"
- Chris Reynolds - Engineer
- Ashley Newton, Steve Ralbovsky, James Cerreta - A&R
- Robin C. Hendrickson, Brett Kilroe - Art Direction
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Leggett, Steve. Trouble (Ray LaMontagne album) at AllMusic
- Uncut, Sep 2004
- BBC review, Sep 2004
- Robert Christgau review
- Long, Chris (December 3, 2004). "The Trouble with Ray".
- "British album certifications – Ray Lamontagne – Trouble". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved January 20, 2016. Enter Trouble in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Ray Lamontagne – Trouble". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 20, 2016. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- DELETED (link no longer active)