Trouble in Mind (song)
|"Trouble in Mind"|
Sheet music for Trouble in Mind
|Single by Thelma La Vizzo with Richard M. Jones|
|B-side||"Fire in the Mountain"|
|Format||10" 78 rpm record|
|Recorded||May 15, 1924|
|Label||Paramount (Cat. no. 12206)|
|Writer(s)||Richard M. Jones|
|Thelma La Vizzo with Richard M. Jones singles chronology|
"Trouble in Mind" is a slow eight-bar blues song written by jazz pianist Richard M. Jones. The song was recorded in 1924 by singer Thelma La Vizzo with Jones providing the piano accompaniment. The song became an early blues standard, with versions by Bertha "Chippie" Hill with Louis Armstrong on cornet and Jones on piano (1926 OKeh 8312), Georgia White (1936 Decca 7192), Victoria Spivey (as Jane Lucas) (1936 Vocalion 3346), and Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys (1936 Vocalion 3343). Later, "Trouble in Mind" was a Billboard R&B chart hit for Dinah Washington (#4 in 1952) and Nina Simone (#11 in 1961 and #92 in the pop chart).
In many versions of "Trouble in Mind", several new verses are added. However, the songs usually include the opening:
- Trouble in mind, I’m blue
- But I won’t be blue always
- 'Cause I know the sun's gonna shine in my back door someday
"Trouble in Mind" has been recorded by numerous artists, including:
- 1941 - Sister Rosetta Tharpe with Lucky Millinder & His Orchestra (Decca 48053).
- 1944 - Jay McShann's Kansas City Stompers with Julia Lee (Capitol 10030).
- 1955 - Eddy Arnold (RCA 47-6365).
- 1957 - Big Bill Broonzy from Trouble in Mind.
- 1959 - Duane Eddy from Especially for You.
- 1959 - Snooks Eaglin from "New Orleans Street Singer" (SFW40165).
- 1961 - Sam Cooke from My Kind of Blues.
- 1962 - Cannonball Adderley from Cannonball in Europe!.
- 1963 - Jeff Beck as a demo with the Tridents from 1991 Beckology.
- 1963 - Janis Joplin as a demo from 1975 Janis.
- 1963 - Jimmy Smith with Quentin Warren and Donald Bailey from Bucket!
- 1965 - Nina Simone's seminal version recorded in 1964 for her 1965 studio album release Pastel Blues. She had recorded several previous live versions.
- 1968 - Ruth Brown with The Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Orchestra from The Big Band Sound of Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Featuring Miss Ruth Brown.
- 1973 - Jerry Lee Lewis from The Session.
- 1975 - Tennessee Ernie Ford and Glen Campbell from Ernie Sings & Glen Picks.
- 1979 - Leon Russell and Willie Nelson live with guests Maria Muldaur and Bonnie Raitt from the album and TV special One for the Road.
- 1985 - Marianne Faithfull from film soundtrack Trouble in Mind.
- 1987 - Hank Williams, Jr. from Hank Live
- 1987 - Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band from Ragged but Right (released 2010)
- 1992 - Hot Tuna from Live at Sweetwater.
- 2003 - Elkie Brooks and Humphrey Lyttelton from Trouble in Mind.
- 2003 - Johnny Cash from Unearthed.
- 2003 - James Blood Ulmer from No Escape from the Blues: The Electric Lady Sessions.
- 2004 - Jon Langford from All the Fame of Lofty Deeds
- 2006 - Jerry Lee Lewis and Eric Clapton from Last Man Standing; also live version with Ron Wood from Last Man Standing Live.
- 2007 - Magnolia Electric Co. from Sojourner.
- 2009 - John Gorka from So Dark You See.