Trouble in Mind (song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Trouble in Mind"|
Sheet music for Trouble in Mind
|Single by Thelma La Vizzo with Richard M. Jones|
|B-side||"Fire in the Mountain"|
|Format||10-inch 78 rpm record|
|Recorded||May 15, 1924|
|Genre||Classic female blues|
|Label||Paramount (no. 12206)|
|Writer(s)||Richard M. Jones|
"Trouble in Mind" is a slow eight-bar blues song written by jazz pianist Richard M. Jones. The first known recording of the song was in 1924 by singer Thelma La Vizzo with Jones providing the piano accompaniment. The song became an early blues standard, with numerous renditions by a variety of musicians. In many versions, new lyrics are added. However, most usually include the opening verse:
Trouble in mind, I’m blue
But I won’t be blue always
'Cause I know the sun's gonna shine in my back door someday
Early recordings of "Trouble in Mind" include those by Bertha "Chippie" Hill (1926, OKeh 8312 with Louis Armstrong on cornet and Jones on piano and 1928, Vocalion 1248), Georgia White (1936, Decca 7192), Victoria Spivey (as Jane Lucas) (1936, Vocalion 3346), and Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys (1936, Vocalion 3343). Later, "Trouble in Mind" was a Billboard R&B chart hit for Dinah Washington (number four in 1952) and Nina Simone (number eleven in 1961 and number 92 in the pop chart).
Recordings by other artists
"Trouble in Mind" has been recorded by numerous artists, including:
- 1941 – Sister Rosetta Tharpe with Lucky Millinder & His Orchestra as a single (Decca 48053)
- 1944 – Jay McShann's Kansas City Stompers with Julia Lee as a single (Capitol 10030)
- 1952 – Amos Milburn and His Aladdin Chickenshackers as a single (Aladdin 3124)
- 1955 – Eddy Arnold as a single (RCA 47-6365)
- 1959 – Duane Eddy on the album Especially for You
- 1959 – Snooks Eaglin on New Orleans Street Singer
- 1961 – Sam Cooke on My Kind of Blues
- 1962 – Cannonball Adderley on Cannonball in Europe!
- 1962 – The Everly Brothers on Instant Party
- 1962 - George Jones on George Jones Sings Bob Wills
- 1963 – Jeff Beck as a demo with the Tridents on Beckology (released 1991)
- 1963 – Janis Joplin as a demo on Janis (released 1975)
- 1963 – Jimmy Smith on Bucket!
- 1965 – Aretha Franklin on Yeah!!!
- 1965 – Nina Simone on Pastel Blues
- 1967 - Sam Lightnin' Hopkins on Ash Grove
- 1970 – Led Zeppelin on the expanded Led Zeppelin III (released 2014)
- 1973 – Jerry Lee Lewis on The Session...Recorded in London with Great Artists
- 1975 – Tennessee Ernie Ford and Glen Campbell from Ernie Sings & Glen Picks
- 1979 – Willie Nelson and Leon Russell on One for the Road
- 1985 – Marianne Faithfull on film soundtrack Trouble in Mind
- 1987 – Hank Williams, Jr. on Hank Live
- 1987 – Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band on Ragged but Right (released 2010)
- 1992 – Hot Tuna on Live at Sweetwater
- 1995 – Bert Jansch on Live at the 12 Bar: An Authorised Bootleg (released 1996)
- 2003 – Elkie Brooks and Humphrey Lyttelton on Trouble in Mind
- 2003 – Johnny Cash on Unearthed
- 2003 – James Blood Ulmer on No Escape from the Blues: The Electric Lady Sessions
- 2004 - Shearwater on Sham Wedding/Hoax Funeral (split album with Okkervil River)
- 2006 – Jerry Lee Lewis with Eric Clapton on Last Man Standing; also live version with Ron Wood on Last Man Standing Live
- 2007 – Magnolia Electric Co. on Sojourner
- 2009 - Jorma Kaukonen on River of Time
- 2009 – John Gorka on So Dark You See
- 2015 – Lee Ann Womack on Trouble in Mind
- Herzhaft, Gerard (1992). "Trouble in Mind". Encyclopedia of the Blues. University of Arkansas Press. p. 476. ISBN 1-55728-252-8.
- Whitburn, Joel (1988). Top R&B Singles 1942–1988. Record Research, Inc. pp. 433, 375. ISBN 0-89820-068-7.
- "Trouble in Mind – Song Search Results". AllMusic. Rovi Corp. Retrieved June 4, 2014.