Trowers & Hamlins
|Headquarters||City of London|
|No. of offices||9|
|No. of lawyers||400+|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||Jennie Gubbins (Senior Partner)|
|Revenue||£ 85.6m (2016)|
|Date founded||1777 (London)|
|Company type||English LLP|
Trowers & Hamlins LLP is an international law firm with offices throughout the UK, Middle East and Far East. The firm undertakes work around the globe and has over 150 partners and approximately 860 employees.
Trowers & Hamlins is a full-service law firm that specialises in the following areas:
- Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution
- Employment and pensions
- Energy and infrastructure
- Housing and regeneration
- Inward investment
- Private wealth
- Public sector / Local government
- Real estate
- Telecoms media & technology
- Travel and insurance 
The firm also has teams covering specialist practice areas such as planning, tax, pensions and environment.
During the last 30 years the firm has expanded considerably. The Manchester office opened in 1973, followed by the opening of offices in Oman (1980), Exeter (1984), Dubai (1991), Abu Dhabi (1993), Bahrain (1998) and Birmingham (2011). The firm also merged with Devon-based law firm, Stones Solicitors (2015). The firm's main office is in the City of London. Outside the UK it has approximately 150 lawyers working across the Middle East. In 2012 the firm opened a non-trading representative office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, having secured unique approval from the Malaysia Investment Development Authority (MIDA). Trowers & Hamlins was the first foreign firm to open in this manner in Malaysia. In 2015, the firm was the first foreign law firm to receive a Qualified Foreign Law Firm licence in Malaysia and now operates an office there. Today, Trowers & Hamlins has over 860 staff in its UK, Middle East and Far East offices.
Awards and accolades
In 2016 the firm won the ‘Real Estate Team of the Year’ award in Legal Week’s annual Corporate Counsel Middle East Awards 2016  and was awarded first place in the 'HR Business Impact' category at the annual HR in Law Awards 2016 for the firm's work to create career paths for paralegals  The firm was also recognised as a 'Best Employer' in Legal Week's Best Employers Report 2016.
In 2015 the firm won the Law Society Excellence Award for Excellence in International Legal Services, the Legal Services Provider of the Year award at the International Travel & Health Insurance Journal (ITIJ) Awards, the Planning Team of the Year Award at the Planning Awards, and Specialist Care Legal Advisor of the Year at the LaingBuisson Independent Specialist Care Awards.
In November 2015, Trowers & Hamlins was recognized as the most diverse UK top-50 law firm by the Black Solicitors Network (BSN) in its tenth annual diversity league table.
Trowers & Hamlins is independently recognised as a leading firm in social housing sector in the UK, and is ranked in the top tier for legal advisers by both independent client guides to the legal profession - Chambers & Partners  and the Legal 500.
The firm was named Public Sector Firm of the Year for its specialism in Local Government in the inaugural Legal 500 UK Awards in 2013.
In previous years Trowers & Hamlins won Construction Law Firm of the Year at the 2011 Builder & Engineer Awards, Legal Firm of the Year at the FDs' Excellence Awards 2010 and the award for Outstanding Contribution by a Law Firm to Islamic Financial Services at the 2010 Sukuk Summit, Winner of The Most Effective International Benefits Strategy at the Employee Benefits Awards 2010, Legal Education and Training Group (LETG) Best Use of Technology award 2010 and Excellence in Exporting Legal Services 2009.
In 1777 the practice was run by Richard and John Woodhouse. Since that time it has undergone more than 20 changes of identity and amalgamations. Walter Trower (who was knighted in 1915) joined the partnership in 1886, and the name Hamlin originated in a firm called Hamlin & Grammer which was practising in 1875. Though the two firms using these names had been in association for many years, it was not until 1987 that they finally integrated to become Trowers & Hamlins.
- "Company Overview of Trowers & Hamlins LLP". Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Trowers & Hamlins Services". http://www.trowers.com/services//. External link in
- "Trowers & Hamlins becomes first foreign law firm to secure branch licence in Malaysia". www.trowers.com. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Trowers & Hamlins Offices". http://www.trowers.com/offices/. Retrieved 25 September 2011. External link in
- "Trowers & Hamlins named Planning Law Firm of the Year at Planning Awards | Press Releases | News". trowers.com. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "Chambers and Partners-Trowers & Hamlins". www.chambersandpartners.com. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Legal 500-Trowers & Hamlins". www.legal500.com. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Trowers & Hamlins wins Public Sector Firm of the Year award | Press Releases | News". trowers.com. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- "Trowers & Hamlins History". http://www.trowers.com/about/our-history.cfm. Retrieved 25 September 2011. External link in