Troy Aikman NFL Football
|Troy Aikman NFL Football|
|Developer(s)||Leland Interactive Media|
|Release date(s)||Super NES:|
|Genre(s)||Traditional American football simulation|
Multiplayer (up to 2 players)
Players can play exhibition matches, season matches, playoff matches, make their own plays for use on the field, and even make payments to the salaries of every player. Each season schedule can either be customized (to the player's exact specifications) or the player can use the schedule from the 1993 NFL season. There is limited speech from the referee and announcer.
Players can either play or coach an exhibition game or an entire regular season (including the Super Bowl). Games can be saved, which prevents the frustration of having to play 16-19 games in a single sitting.
The two sports reviewers of Electronic Gaming Monthly gave the Super NES version scores of 65% and 68%, criticizing the small characters, choppy graphics, and poor defensive AI. Reviewing the Super NES version, Quick-Draw McGraw of GamePro commented that "What the Genesis did for Joe Montana, the SNES does for Troy Aikman." He noted the large number of options and special features, the inclusion of all the real-world NFL teams, the money management features, and the ability to create your own plays as the game's strong points, though he criticized the graphics and audio as mediocre.
GamePro's Slo Mo accorded the same praises to the Jaguar version but was more vehement in his criticism of the graphics, remarking that it is impossible to identify individual players in large mobs. He concluded, "Despite some tantalizing innovations, Troy Aikman Football sits in favor of better-crafted 16-bit games, including Troy's own clones." Electronic Gaming Monthly's sports reviewers gave it scores of 6 and 7 out of 10, saying that though they were impressed with the Jaguar version's improvements, particularly the graphics and the new Play Selection Accelerator feature, the game is still so-so. Like Slo Mo, they found that it is difficult to keep track of individual players, and that the control "still isn't what it should be for a big-time football game."
- "Release information (Super NES)". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- "Release information (Sega Genesis)". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2011-11-27.
- "Release information". MobyGames. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "Release information (Atari Jaguar)". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2011-11-27.
- "# of players information". Atari Age. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- "Game criticism". allgame. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "Team EGM: Troy Aikman NFL Football". Electronic Gaming Monthly (Ziff Davis) (63): 152. October 1994.
- "Troy Aikman Drops Back to Pass... Touchdown!". GamePro (IDG) (72): 116. September 1994.
- "It's "Hail Mary" Time for Troy Aikman". GamePro (IDG) (80): 97. May 1995.
- "Troy Aikman NFL Football by Williams Entertainment". Electronic Gaming Monthly (Ziff Davis) (67): 122. February 1995.