Troy Daily News
|Owner(s)||AIM Media Midwest|
|Headquarters||224 South Market Street,
Troy, Ohio 45373, United States
The Troy Daily News is an American daily newspaper published every day except Tuesdays and holidays in Troy, Ohio. Its Sunday edition is called the Miami Valley Sunday News. It is owned by AIM Media Midwest.
In addition to Troy, the Daily News circulates in several communities of Miami County, Ohio, including Casstown, Conover, Covington, Fletcher, Piqua, Pleasant Hill, Tipp City and West Milton, as well as Christiansburg in Champaign County. The Daily News is printed in Tipp City.
The newspaper was founded as a daily in 1909.
In 1955, the newspaper was bought by George Kuser. He owned the paper until 1998. Kuser was an eccentric businessman who lived abroad in Africa, Italy and Turkey for much of that time. Upon his returns to Troy, he sometimes lived in an apartment built atop the Daily News' newsroom. In the late 1990s, Daily News employees bought stock in the company through an innovative employee stock ownership program.
Pulitzer, Inc., of St. Louis, Missouri, bought the paper and its commercial printing operations in November 1998, intending to build a regional chain. Instead, the company sold the Daily News for an undisclosed price to Brown Publishing Company, which already owned several properties in the area.
Brown, a Cincinnati-based family business, purchased the Daily News in April 2001, integrating it with the Piqua Daily Call and Sidney Daily News as its "I-75 Group", sharing the printing plant at Tipp City. In February 2009, these three newspapers stopped printing Tuesday editions because of the weak economy, reducing the Troy paper to six publication days per week.
Brown Publishing filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on April 30, 2010; its Ohio assets, including 14 daily newspapers and about 30 weeklies, were transferred to a new business, Ohio Community Media, which was purchased in May 2011 by Philadelphia-based Versa Capital Management.
In 2012 Versa merged Ohio Community Media, former Freedom papers it had acquired, Impressions Media, and Heartland Publications into a new company, Civitas Media. Civitas Media sold its Ohio papers to AIM Media Midwest in 2017.
The Troy Daily News had produced several well-known journalists, especially photojournalists. Among the alumni are:
• Howard Wilkinson, longtime political reporter for the Cincinnati Enquirer
• Ben Sutherly, health reporter at the Columbus Dispatch
• Scott Elliott, bureau chief at Chalkbeat Indiana and former education reporter at the Indianapolis Star
• Chris Hondros, the late war photographer for Getty Images
• Spencer Platt, international photographer with Getty Images
• Chris Usher, Washington, D.C.,-based freelance photojournalist
• Mike Laughlin, photojournalist at the South Florida Sun-Sentinel
• Vincent J. Musi, a photographer with National Geographic
• Rick Wilson, Florida-based freelance sports photographer
• J.D. Pooley, photojournalist at the Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune in Ohio and a frequent contributor to national newspapers and magazines.
• Steve Hebert, a freelance photographer in Kansas City.
• Jim Witmer, Dayton Daily News photographer
- "About Troy Daily News". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- Carey, Christopher (April 3, 2001). "St. Louis-Based News Media Firm Warns Earnings Will Be Lower Than Expected". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. via HighBeam Research. Retrieved June 14, 2012. (subscription required)
- Wicker, Kristen (March 17, 2003). "Regional Publishing Company Gets Bigger". Dayton Business Journal. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- "Three Ohio Newspapers End Tuesday Editions". The Columbus Dispatch. February 3, 2009. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- Sutherly, Ben (June 26, 2010). "Brown Publishing, Creditors Clash Over Sale Plans". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- "Business Headlines: Local Newspapers Have New Owners". Dayton Daily News. via HighBeam Research. May 21, 2011. Retrieved June 8, 2012. (subscription required)
- Business Wire, Versa Capital Announces the Formation of Civitas Media, LLC, retrieved April 10, 2017
- "Quarterly Updates - 2nd Quarter 2017". Dirks, Van Essen & Murray. 2017-06-30. Retrieved 2017-10-28.
7. Former TDN owner dies, Troy Daily News, March 18, 2012.