Troy O’Donovan Garity Hayden|
July 7, 1973
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Simone Bent (m. 2007)
Henry Fonda (maternal grandfather)|
Frances Ford Seymour (maternal grandmother)
Peter Fonda (maternal uncle)
Bridget Fonda (maternal first cousin)
Troy O’Donovan Garity (born July 7, 1973) is an American film actor. He was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film for his role as Barry Winchell in the television movie Soldier's Girl (2003) but may be best known for his role as Isaac Rosenberg in the Barbershop films.
Early life, family and education
Garity was born in Los Angeles, California, to actress/activist Jane Fonda and activist/politician Tom Hayden, although it is noted in a law journal that his parents gave him the last name Garity, not Hayden, as recorded in California Birth Index. He grew up in Santa Monica. His adopted sister is activist Mary Williams.
His parents named him for the Vietnamese resistance leader Nguyen Van Troi and the 19th-century Irish Fenian Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa. His surname, Garity, is the family name of his paternal grandmother.
Through his mother, Garity is the grandson of New York socialite Frances Ford Seymour and actor Henry Fonda, and a nephew of actor Peter Fonda. His cousins include actress Bridget Fonda. His father is of Irish descent and his mother's ancestry includes Dutch, English, French, German, and Irish.
Garity began acting as a child at Santa Barbara's Laurel Springs Camp for the Arts where he performed commedia dell'arte. He made an uncredited appearance in the film On Golden Pond (1981), trained at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in NYC, and became a member of the Academy Repertory Company, performing in a number of stage productions.
Garity has appeared in numerous film productions. He played his father in the film Steal This Movie (2000) based on the life of Yippie founder Abbie Hoffman. His portrayal of Isaac Rosenberg in the film Barbershop (2002) proved to be his breakout role, and he reprised it in Barbershop 2: Back in Business (2004) and Barbershop: The Next Cut (2016) – though in the latter, his role is significantly reduced to a cameo appearance. He also starred as Harvey in the Danny Boyle/Alex Garland film Sunshine (2007) and as the tormented survivor of a tragic family accident in Lake City (2008).
For his portrayal of Barry Winchell in the film Soldier's Girl (2003), Garity earned a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television and in 2002 he won the Young Hollywood Award for a Standout Performance.
On August 27, 2007, Garity married actress Simone Bent at Columbia University's St. Paul's Chapel. Garity is the founder of the Peace Process Network, an international gang violence prevention coalition, and he is the chairman of Homies Unidos, a gang violence prevention group in Los Angeles.
|1974||Introduction to the Enemy||as himself|
|1981||On Golden Pond||Young Boy||Uncredited|
|1996||The Cherokee Kid||Bartender||TV movie|
|2000||Steal This Movie!||Tom Hayden|
|2000||Rude Awakening||Vin||Episode: "How Was Your Date?"|
|2000||Solomon Bernstein's Bathroom||Solomon Bernstein||Short film|
|2000||Code Blue||Daniel Mosley||Video game|
|2002||Lather. Rinse. Repeat.||John Donnelly||Short film|
|2003||Soldier's Girl||Barry Winchell||TV movie|
Nominated—Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film
Nominated—Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Male
Nominated—Satellite Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film
|2003||Milwaukee, Minnesota||Albert Burroughs|
|2004||Barbershop 2: Back in Business||Isaac Rosenberg|
|2004||After the Sunset||Luc|
|2008||Winged Creatures||Ron Abler|
|2008||A Cat's Tale||Marchello|
|2009||My One and Only||Becker|
|2009||A Day in the Life||Officer Klute|
|2009||Kerosene Cowboys||Luke "Cajun" Babbineaux|
|2009||House||Hank Hardwick||Episode: "Teamwork"|
|2011||Hawaii Five-0||Agent Edward Kipton||Episode: "Loa Aloha"|
|2011||The Playboy Club||John Bianchi||4 episodes|
|2011||The Good Doctor||Dan|
|2011–2012||Boss||Sam Miller||18 episodes|
|2016||Barbershop: The Next Cut||Isaac Rosenberg||Cameo|
|2016||The Brooklyn Banker||Santo Bastucci|
|2017||Shooter||Jeffrey Denning||4 episodes|
- "Troy O Hayden, Born 07/07/1973 in California". California Birth Index. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- Koffman, Susan (August 1, 1984). "Stepparent Adoption: A Comparative Analysis of Laws and Policies in England and the United States". B.C. Int'l & Comp. Law Rev. p. 482 note 113. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- Ryder, Caroline Ryder (April 28, 2008). "The Thinking Man's Actor: Troy Garity Goes His Own Way". Papermag.
- "Page 1". Paper CA. Archived from the original on 2015-09-14.
- "Page 2". Paper CA. Archived from the original on September 14, 2015. Retrieved November 28, 2009.
- "Profile of Troy Garity". Tribute.
- "Profile of Jane Fonda". IMDb. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- "Re: Briscoe Gerard Baldwin - Brazos - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.com". ancestry.com. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "Troy Garity, Awards". IMDb. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- "Best Perfromance by an Actor in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television 2004". Golden Globes. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- "Jane Fonda's son Troy Garity marries". Topix. Retrieved 12 March 2015.