Patton in September 2012
September 3, 1985 |
|August 25, 2007, for the Houston Astros|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.25|
Troy Jamieson Patton (born September 3, 1985) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Houston Astros, Baltimore Orioles and San Diego Padres. Patton attended Tomball High School in Tomball, Texas.
Patton was drafted in the ninth round by the Houston Astros in 2004. In 2007, Patton played in Minor League Baseball for the Corpus Christi Hooks and Round Rock Express. He made his MLB debut with the Houston Astros on August 25, 2007.
On September 22, 2010, Patton made his first career appearance for the Orioles, in a game against the Boston Red Sox. He pitched 0.2 innings, giving up no runs, 1 hit, 1 walk, and struck out David Ortiz to end the inning.
Patton was called up in May of the Orioles 2011 season. He made 20 relief appearances, for 30 innings worth of work. He posted an ERA of 3.00, with a record of 2–1, with 2 holds.
In the 2012 season, Patton made the team out of spring training and was used effectively out of the bullpen all year, mainly as a left handed specialist due to his sweeping side-arm pitching motion. Patton sprained his previously injured ankle while walking through a parking garage, and would go on the disabled list for approximately one month. He finished the season with a 1-0 record and a 2.43 ERA in 54 games pitched, while being an integral part of the Orioles bullpen, helping them to their first playoff appearance since the 1997 season.
San Diego Padres
On May 24, 2014, the Orioles traded Patton to the San Diego Padres in exchange for Nick Hundley and cash considerations. He was designated for assignment on September 2, 2014. Patton elected free agency in October 2014.
On November 5, 2014 he received an 80-game suspension for his third violation of MLB drug policy for amphetamine use.
Kansas City Royals
On April 4, 2015 he signed a minor league deal with the Kansas City Royals. On April 9, 2015 he was assigned to AAA Omaha Storm Chasers. On July 4th, he was activated by the Storm Chasers upon the completion of his 80-game suspension.
- "Orioles trade Miguel Tejada to Astros, receive five players in return". MLB.com. 2007-12-12. Retrieved 2009-11-21.
- Associated Press (December 20, 2013). "Troy Patton of Baltimore Orioles tests positive, banned 25 games". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "Orioles trade LHP Patton to Padres for C Hundley". Associated Press. ESPN.com. May 24, 2014. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- Wilmoth, Charlie (October 4, 2014). "Minor Moves: Free Agents, Blue Jays". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Troy Patton suspended 80 games for amphetamines