Troy School District (Michigan)
|Troy School District|
|Type||Public school district|
|School board||Troy Board of Education|
|Superintendent||Dr. Richard Machesky|
|Faculty||703.3 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||PK to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.1|
Troy School District is a school district in Troy, Michigan in Greater Detroit. It covers over half of the city, but some parts of the city are in the Avondale School District, the Warren Consolidated Schools and the Birmingham City School District among others.
Student achievement levels in the Troy School District are among the highest at state and national levels. The Troy School District has more than 12,000 students in four high schools, four middle schools, and twelve elementary schools.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2013)|
In 2003 the school district debuted its new website which was intended to be friendlier to users.
In March 2004 the district proposed a $119 bond that would build a new international school, provide a replacement facility for Baker Middle School, and upgrade facilities and technologies in exchange for a property tax increase by 0.99 mill for 20 years. The voting was scheduled for June 14, 2004.
In 1999 Diana Waechter, the head of the district's bilingual student program, stated that 53 languages are spoken within the school district. The Detroit News stated that people hearing the statistic from Waechter were often shocked as they did not expect the amount of ethnic diversity in, as stated by the Detroit News, "a city known for starched business shirts and power lunches."
- Barnard Elementary
- Bemis Elementary School
- Costello Elementary School
- Hamilton Elementary School
- Hill Elementary School
- Leonard Elementary School
- Martell Elementary School
- Morse Elementary School
- Schroeder Elementary School
- Troy Union Elementary School
- Wass Elementary School
- Wattles Elementary School
- Baker Middle School
- Boulan Park Middle School(founded in 1973)
- Larson Middle School(founded in 1973)
- Smith Middle School
- The Troy School District has been named one of the best communities for music education in America.
- Troy is one of four school districts in metro Detroit to receive an "A+" rating from the Detroit News, following a comprehensive analysis of school quality factors.
- Athens High School, the International Academy East and Troy High School were named among the top five percent of all U.S. high schools by Newsweek Magazine.
- The Troy School District has been named one of the 25 best places for new families seeking to relocate to a new home by Relocate:America.
- All Troy District K-12 schools have earned the prestigious Blue Ribbon award from the Michigan Department of Education.
- The district has a drop out rate of under one percent.
- More than 95 percent of Troy School District graduates go on to higher education.
- Recruiters have also reported that Troy School District is one of the top feeder districts to the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.
- The district's high school students have access to 19 Advanced Placement courses for college credit, in addition to an array of fine arts courses.
- Rebecca Johns, from Troy High School, was named Michigan Biology Teacher of the Year 
- "A Welcome from the Superintendent". Troy School District. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "Troy School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- Troy School District Web site - Test Scores
- "Troy unveils new Web site." The Detroit News. December 31, 2003. Retrieved on September 9, 2013. ID number det17981361. "TROY ? The Troy School District's new and improved Web site, designed to be more user friendly and make information easier to locate, is up and running. In addition to looking nicer than the Web site it replaced, the new site at www.troy.k12.mi.us provides comprehensive information on all district programs and activities. "It's more attractive, has improved navigation and is much more comprehensive,"said Tim McAvoy, director of community relations for the Troy School District. "The[...]"
- "Troy district pushes $119 million projects bond." The Detroit News. March 21, 2004. Retrieved on September 9, 2013. ID number det18520650. "TROY ? The Troy School District wants residents to approve a $119 million bond issue to replace aging Baker Middle School, create a new international school and provide technology and facility upgrades. Voters will decide the issue during a June 14 election. If approved, Troy residents' property taxes would increase by 0.99 mill for 20 years. That would cost the average homeowner, with property valued at $200,000, an additional $100 a year, said district spokesman Tim McAvoy. Work [...]"
- "Troy celebrates diversity with Peace Garden at library: Grounds back harmony among ethnic groups." The Detroit News. October 7, 1999. Retrieved on September 9, 2013. ID number det2864049. "TROY -- Diana Waechter deals with 53 languages a day. The head of the Troy School District's program for bilingual students often shocks people with that number -- people who aren't aware of the cultural and ethnic diversity in a city known for starched business shirts and power lunches. But Sunday, she and others who have spent the last four years raising more than $50,000 will formally dedicate their monument to that diversity: Troy's Peace Garden at the city's public library[...]"
- American Music Conference Web site
- Newsweek Magazine Web Site, The Top of the Class, June 8, 2009
- Michigan Science Teacher Association Web site
- Elementary Schools. Troy High School District.
- Middle Schools. Troy High School District.
- High Schools. Troy High School District.
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|