Troy Township, Athens County, Ohio
|Troy Township, Athens County, Ohio|
Methodist church at Torch
Location of Troy Township in Athens County
|• Total||36.9 sq mi (95.6 km2)|
|• Land||36.2 sq mi (93.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2)|
|Elevation||768 ft (234 m)|
|• Density||72/sq mi (27.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085759|
Troy Township is one of the fourteen townships of Athens County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,617 people in the township, 2,121 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Decatur Township, Washington County - north
- Belpre Township, Washington County - northeast
- Olive Township, Meigs County - south
- Orange Township, Meigs County - southwest corner
- Carthage Township - west
- Rome Township - northwest
Name and history
In 1833, Troy Township contained several stores and mills.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Troy township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 443. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.