Trudy Krisher (born 1946) is an American author of young adult novels, children's books, a college textbook, and a scholarly biography. She is a former professor of liberal arts in Dayton, Ohio.
Early life and education
Krisher was born in Macon, Georgia. Her parents were Whitley Herron Butner and Lois Drane Butner. She graduated from The College of William and Mary in 1968 and received a master's in education from Trenton State College in 1972.
Krisher has written young adult novels, children’s picture books, a college textbook, and a scholarly biography.
From 2001 until her retirement Krisher was a professor in the Department of Liberal Arts, Communication, and Social Sciences at Sinclair Community College. She was an assistant professor at University of Dayton from 1985 to 2001.
Awards and honors
- 1994 Cuffie Award for Most Promising New Author, Publishers Weekly
- 1994 Miami Valley Cultural Alliance Arts Award
- 1994 Honor Book selection, Parents' Choice, and Best Book for Young Adults selection, American Library Association
- 1995 Best Young Adult Novel award, International Reading Association
- 1995 Jefferson Cup Honor Book, Virginia Library Association
- 1995 New York Public Library Award
- 1997 Best Books Award, American Library Association
- 1997 New York Library Award
- 1999 Tennessee Volunteer State Book Award, Tennessee Association of School Librarians
- 2004 Best Books Award, American Library Association
- 2004 Best Children's Book of the Year, Bank Street College of Education
- 2004 Amelia Bloomer Project honors, City of Austin Youth Services
- 2004 Culture Works Artists' fellowship
- 2015 Silver Medal, Independent Publishers Association
- Kathy's Hats: A Story of Hope (1992)
- Spite Fences (1994)
- Writing for a Reader: Peers, Process, and Progress in the Writing Classroom (1994)
- Kinship (1997)
- Uncommon Faith (2003)
- Fallout (2006)
- Fanny Seward: a Life
- An Affectionate Farewell: Old Bob and Old Abe (2015)
- Bark Park (2018)
- "Trudy Krisher". www.encyclopedia.com. Retrieved 2020-04-30.
- "Trudy Krisher". Ohioana. Retrieved 2020-04-30.
- KINSHIP | Kirkus Reviews.
- FALLOUT | Kirkus Reviews.
- BARK PARK! | Kirkus Reviews.
- "Uncommon Faith". www.publishersweekly.com. Retrieved 2020-04-30.
- "2015 Independent Publisher Book Awards Regional & Ebook Results". Independent Publisher - feature. Retrieved 2020-04-30.
- Krisher, Trudy (1992). Kathy's Hats: A Story of Hope. Albert Whitman and Company. ISBN 978-0-8075-4116-6.
- Krisher, Trudy (2010-06-16). Spite Fences. Random House Children's Books. ISBN 978-0-307-75495-0.
- Krisher, Trudy (1995). Writing for a Reader. Prentice Hall. ISBN 978-0-13-031170-2.
- Krisher, Trudy (2019-10-15). Kinship. Trudybooks. ISBN 978-0-9908703-5-7.
- Krisher, Trudy (2019-10-15). Uncommon Faith. Trudybooks. ISBN 978-0-9908703-1-9.
- Krisher, Trudy (2019-10-15). Fallout. Trudybooks. ISBN 978-0-9908703-7-1.
- Krisher, Trudy (2015-04-15). An Affectionate Farewell: The Story of Old Bob and Old Abe. Bunker Hill Publishing, Incorporated. ISBN 978-1-59373-155-7.
- Krisher, Trudy (2018-04-03). Bark Park!. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-1-4814-3076-0.
- Booklist, October 1, 1992, Ilene Cooper, review of Kathy's Hats: A Story of Hope, p. 336; December 1, 1994, Frances Bradburn, review of Spite Fences, p. 666; November 15, 2006, Gillian Engberg, review of Fallout, p. 40.
- Kirkus Reviews, September 1, 1992. review of Kathy's Hats; December 15, 1994, review of Spite Fences; September 15, 2006, review of Fallout, p. 958.
- Publishers Weekly, November 14, 1994, review of Spite Fences, p. 70; December 11, 2006, review of Fallout, p. 71.
- School Library Journal, November, 1994, Margaret Cole, review of Spite Fences, p. 121; October, 2003, Kathleen Isaacs, review of Uncommon Faith, p. 169; November, 2006, Pat Scales, review of Fallout, p. 139.
- Voice of Youth Advocates, October, 1994, review of Spite Fences, p. 209.