TrueHoop is a digital media company co-founded by Henry Abbott, a digital sports media executive and journalist, and Judy Goodwin, an attorney and entrepreneur. After 10 years at ESPN, Abbott relaunched TrueHoop with a subscription-based newsletter covering the National Basketball Association in February 2019.
Prior to that, TrueHoop was a blog founded on May 15, 2005, and was one of several blogs honored with the 2005 "Best of the Web award" issued by Forbes magazine The site has linked to or been referenced by many notable publications and organizations, including NBA.com, LATimes.com, and CNN/SI.com, and has been praised by notable sports columnists such as Chad Ford and Chris Sheridan. The site has been noted for its investigations into the affairs of William Wesley, a noted (and somewhat controversial) NBA facilitator. Coaches had stars read TrueHoop, and it affected how many teams play the game.
On February, 2007, it was announced that TrueHoop was purchased by ESPN. ESPN later expanded TrueHoop to a blog network, consisting of many contributors and blogs. In addition to the blog, there was a "TruehoopTV" category of video and podcast content.
In February 2014, Abbott took over ESPN’s NBA coverage in digital and print, where he made many changes, especially creating the TrueHoop Presents team, which won National Magazine and James Beard awards, while setting traffic records with some of the finest NBA journalism in history.
Previous regular contributors
- J.A. Adande
- Chad Ford
- John Hollinger
- Marc Stein
- David Thorpe
- Brian Windhorst
- Pablo S. Torre
- Rachel Nichols (journalist)
- Dorian (rapper)
- Black Tray
- BIG Wos
- Michael Kaskey-Blomain
- Mariano Bivens
- Amin Elhassan
- Zach Harper
- Tim MacMahon
- Tom Haberstroh
- Kevin Pelton
- Andrew Han
- Kaileigh Brandt
- Jade Hoye
- "Henry Abbott talks TrueHoop's return as a subscription newsletter". Awful Announcing. 2019-02-23. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- "Niemanlab Future of Sports Blogging".
- "TrueHoop". ESPN.com.
- "Praise for TrueHoop". Blog entry. ESPN/HenryAbott. Retrieved 3/7/2012. Check date values in:
- http://www.truehoop.com/cat-who-is-william-wesley.html TrueHoop.com: Who is William Wesley?
- "The Mag: Kobe Bryant is not as money as we think". ESPN.com. 2012-03-05. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- http://www.newmediacampaigns.com/page/espn-launches-a-blog-network ESPN Launches a Blog Network
- "Q&A: ESPN's Henry Abbott on TrueHoop, serving readers, and the future of sports blogging". Nieman Lab. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- "LeBron James and Dwyane Wade's friendship enrages the NBA -- and that's just fine with them". ESPN.com. 2016-05-20. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
|This article about a blog, vlog, or other Internet publication is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|