True Love (Pink song)
|Single by Pink featuring Lily Allen|
|from the album The Truth About Love|
|B-side||"Slut Like You"|
|Released||June 28, 2013|
|Pink singles chronology|
|Lily Allen singles chronology|
"True Love" is a song written and recorded by American recording artist Pink from her sixth studio album, The Truth About Love (2012). It was written by Pink, Lily Allen (credited as her former marital name, Lily Rose Cooper) and Greg Kurstin, and features Allen.
The song was released as the album's second promotional single, following "Are We All We Are", in early 2013. It was released exclusively to Hungarian and Dutch radio. On April 29, 2013, it was announced that the song would be released as the fourth single. It officially impacted Italian radio stations on June 28, 2013. In the US, it impacted Hot/Modern/AC radio on July 15, 2013, before impacting Top 40/Mainstream radio one week later on July 23, 2013. The song was released in the UK on July 22, 2013.
In late February 2012, Pink tweeted that she was currently in the studio, working on an upcoming studio album. In early June, she released a video saying that her first single from the album was to be called "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)". It was released in July. Her new album was named The Truth About Love and was released in September. Since then, Pink has released two other singles from the album: "Try", and "Just Give Me a Reason". Pink says that the song is about her relationship with Carey Hart and she finds the song funny lyrically. "True Love" was the third song from The Truth About Love to be leaked onto the internet, as "Here Comes the Weekend" was leaked the day before.
The song received mostly positive reviews from critics and was compared to the album's title track due to both songs revealing the positive and negative aspects of love. In its review of The Truth About Love, Billboard called the song the album's "brightest moment" and added that it "deserves to be one of Pink's signature songs". Amy Sciarretto of PopCrush also gave a positive review of the song, saying, "The upbeat, hell yeah, high-five love song features Pink calling her lover an “a–hole” and saying she wants to slap his whole face. Again, a dysfunctional relationship, which is sung about over a resonant rhythm, makes the misery of love sound like a delight in Pink’s capable hands, er, voice." MSN Music also reacted positively to the song, calling it "feisty".
The New York Times complimented the song, as well as the album's title track, for recognizing "some nonstorybook sides of romance", and further praised "True Love" for being "bouncy" and upbeat. The Chicago Tribune gave a more critical review of the song, calling Allen's vocals "strangely subdued" and added that Allen was "tamping down Pink's strident, comical posturing". They also wrote that the collaboration "should've been a dream pairing, but falls flat". PopMatters also gave the song a mixed review, complimenting the song, as well as the title track, for "daring to reveal the truth about love", but added that "True Love" especially "cutesily examines why we hate those we love" and contains "brave" and "honest" material that is far too cliché.
According to Pink's official Facebook page, the music video for "True Love" was planned to premiere on July 1, 2013. The video was leaked online on June 30, on the website Direct Lyrics; however, a few hours later the video was released to her official VEVO account, a day earlier than planned.
The video directed by Sophie Muller (who also directed videos for "Trouble" and "I Don't Believe You") features Pink, her husband Carey Hart and her 2-year-old daughter Willow. It is the fourth music video that Hart appears alongside P!nk. The video is a melody of flashing and swirling colors. Pink stated that she had no time for a dramatic music video, (like her previous videos for "Just Give Me a Reason" and "Try", which show Pink's emotional and dramatic side) due to her being on her sold-out worldwide tour, backstage footage of which is featured in the video. Lily Allen was filmed separately, and during her short part in the song she is shown cutting vegetables and throwing them into a blender.
Covers and performances
- Joelle Hadjia, a contestant on the fifth season of The X Factor Australia, performed the song in the fourth week of live performances, only to be met with negative comments from both the public and the judges, from whom Ronan Keating criticised her mentor, Redfoo, for "letting her coast with boring songs".
- Digital download
- "True Love" (featuring Lily Allen)
- CD single
- "True Love” (featuring Lily Allen)
- "Slut Like You" (Live from Los Angeles)
Credits and personnel
- Pink – Songwriter, vocals
- Lily Allen – Songwriter, vocals
- Greg Kurstin – Songwriter, producer, mixer, keyboards, guitar, bass, programmer, engineer
- Jesse Shatkin – additional engineer
Credits adapted from The Truth About Love album liner notes. 
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||140,000^|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||80,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||7,500*|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Gold||900,000^|
|Italy||June 28, 2013||Contemporary hit radio||Sony Music|
|United States||July 15, 2013||Hot AC radio||RCA Records|
|United Kingdom||July 22, 2013||Contemporary hit radio|
|United States||July 23, 2013|
|Germany||August 30, 2013||CD single||Sony Music|
- Pink & Lily Allen Find “True Love” Together: Watch The Lyric Video | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on Idolator.com
- Pink and Lily Allen's collaboration 'True Love' surfaces online - listen | News | NME.COM
- Pink Announces “True Love” With Lily Allen As New Single | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on Idolator.com
- Pink Announces New Single 'True Love' Featuring Lily Rose Cooper - Celebrity Gossip, News & Photos, Movie Reviews, Competitions - Entertainmentwise
- Pink set to release Lily Allen collaboration ‘True Love’ as next single | Features & Reviews | Clickmusic | Online Music News, Downloads, Videos & More Archived 2013-05-16 at WebCite
- "Pink's family, Lily Allen star in 'True Love' music video - watch". Digital Spy.
- P!nk Breaks Down The Truth About Love - Part 2 | The Official P!nk Site Archived 2013-04-07 at WebCite
- "Double trouble: Lily Allen makes her return to the music scene on collaboration track 'True Love' with Pink". Daily Mail. London.
- "Pink, 'The Truth About Love' – Album Review". PopCrush.
- "msn". Archived from the original on 2012-10-28.
- Pareles, Jon; Ratliff, Ben; Chinen, Nate (September 17, 2012). "Albums From Pink, Dwight Yoakam and Aimee Mann". The New York Times.
- "Album review: Pink, 'The Truth About Love'". Chicago Tribune. September 18, 2012.
- "P!nk: The Truth About Love". PopMatters.
- "P!nk". Facebook.
- "Pink - 'True Love' Music Video". Directlyrics.
- X-Factor judges clash after Ronan Keating clams Redfoo is letting Joelle 'coast' with boring songs, thetelegraph.com.au, September 16, 2013.
- Ture Love (Pink song) (liner notes). Pink. RCA Records, Sony Music. 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love" (in French). Ultratip.
- "P!nk Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201330 into search.
- "Lescharts.com – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Hungarian Airplay Chart – Top 40 lista" (in Hungarian). Mahasz. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. 2013-04-15. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Pink & Lily Allen Chart History". RÚV. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- "Chart Track: Week 29, 2013". Irish Singles Chart.
- "FIMI – Classifiche – Top Digital – Classifica settimanale WK 36 del 2013". Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana (in Italian). Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "The Official Lebanese Top 20 - Pink". The Official Lebanese Top 20. August 4, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love". Top 40 Singles.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay New. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Airplay 100 – Cristi Nitzu | Kiss FM – July 7, 2013". Kiss FM. Archived from the original on 27 January 2018. Retrieved 27 January 2018. Note: User may scroll down the 'Podcasturi' menu to play or download the respective podcast.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201343 into search.
- "SloTop50: Slovenian official singles weekly chart" (in Slovenian). SloTop50. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "EMA Top 10 Airplay: Week Ending 2013-09-10". Entertainment Monitoring Africa. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- "Swisscharts.com – P!nk feat. Lily Allen – True Love". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "P!nk Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "P!nk Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "P!nk Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "P!nk Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2013. aria.com.au. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Top 100-Jaaroverzicht van 2013 (in Dutch). top40.nl. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- "SloTop50: Slovenian official singles year end chart" (in Slovenian). SloTop50. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2013 Singles". ARIA.
- "Canadian single certifications – Pink – True Love". Music Canada.
- "Italian single certifications – Pink – True Love" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart - 26 August 2013". Recorded Music NZ. Archived from the original on August 24, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- APFV (November 30, 2013). "Certificaciones De Venezuela Del 2013" (PDF) (in Spanish). APFV. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "British single certifications – Pink – True Love". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type True Love in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "IFPI Denmark - Certifications". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "P!NK - True Love (Sony) - Radio Date 28/06/2013".
- "®R&R :: Going For Adds™ :: Hot AC".
- "®R&R :: Going For Adds™ :: CHR/Top 40".