TrueBridge Capital Partners
|Headquarters||Chapel Hill, NC, United States|
|Mel Williams, Edwin Poston|
|Products||Venture capital Fund of Funds|
Number of employees
'TrueBridge'Capital Partners is a boutique alternative asset investment firm. TrueBridge offers venture capital fund of funds services, as well as direct investment opportunities. Founded by Mel Williams, formerly of the UNC-Chapel Hill Management Company, and Edwin Poston, formerly of the Rockefeller Foundation, in 2007.
TrueBridge raised its first venture capital-focused fund of funds in 2008 with a final fund size of more than $310 million, its second fund in 2011 closing on more than $342 million, and its third fund in 2014 closing at a hard cap of $400 million. In 2016, TrueBridge closed its fourth and latest fund at a hard cap of $400 million. The firm invests primarily in first quartile venture managers focused on the Information Technology sector, and also directly co-invests in select technology companies alongside those managers. The firm dedicates a portion of its investments to seed-stage funds. TrueBridge also publishes independent research reports, including its annual market analysis on the state of the venture capital industry.
Among TrueBridge Capital's investors are institutional investors, including large state and corporate pension funds, foundations, university endowments, family offices and high-net-worth individuals. In addition, over 150 active venture capitalists have personally invested in TrueBridge funds, many of whom have ties to TrueBridge's historical education partner, the Kauffman Fellows Program.
Forbes partners with TrueBridge annually to rank the top venture capitalists for the Forbes Midas List, as it has each year from 2011 through 2016, and produce the Next Billion Dollar Companies List of the next generation of top startups, as it did in 2015. TrueBridge also regularly posts to its venture-focused column at Forbes.com.
- Aardvark - Sold to Google.
- Deepmind - Sold to Google in January, 2014.
- Diapers.com - Sold to Amazon.com.
- Facebook - Went public May, 2012.
- Fusion-io - Went public June, 2011.
- Groupon - Went public November, 2011. Sold to Ditto April, 2012.
- Kayak.com - Went public August, 2012. Sold to Priceline.com November, 2012.
- Lending Club - Went public December, 2014.
- LifeLock - Went public October, 2013.
- MoPub - Sold to Twitter in September, 2013.
- Oculus - Sold to Facebook in March, 2014.
- Rent The Runway
- ServiceNow - Went public June, 2012.
- Twitter - Went public November, 2013.
- Zulily - Went public November, 2013. Sold to Liberty Interactive Corporation in August, 2015.
- TrueBridge Bio Page: http://truebridgecapital.com/Team.aspx
- "TrueBridge Capital: Who We Are".
- "The Daily Startup: Biotech Startups Prep for Tighter Fundraising Climate". blogs.wsj.com. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- TrueBridge Raises $408M for Fund of Funds, Foresees Seed Shakeout: https://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2014/09/10/truebridge-raises-408m-for-fund-of-funds-foresees-seed-shakeout/
- "TrueBridge Insights".
- "TrueBridge Approach".
- Midas: The Methodology: https://www.forbes.com/2011/04/05/midas-list-methodology.html
- Midas: The Methodology: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2012/05/02/midas-2012-the-methodology/
- Midas List 2013: The Methodology: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2013/05/08/midas-list-2013-the-methodology/
- Midas List 2014: The Methodology: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2014/03/26/midas-list-2014-the-methodology/
- "Midas List 2015: The Methodology".
- "The Top 10 Venture Capital Investors In The World: Midas List 2016".
- "The Next Billion-Dollar Startups".
- General Doriot: https://blogs.forbes.com/truebridge/
- "Aardvark CrunchBase Profile".
- "Deepmind CrunchBase Profile".
- "Diapers.com CrunchBase Profile".
- "Facebook CrunchBase Profile".
- "Fusion-io CrunchBase Profile".
- "Groupon CrunchBase Profile".
- "Kayak.com CrunchBase Profile".
- "Lending Club CrunchBase Profile".
- "LifeLock CrunchBase Profile".
- "MoPub CrunchBase Profile".
- "Oculus VR CrunchBase Profile".
- "ServiceNow CrunchBase Profile".
- "Twitter CrunchBase Profile".
- "Zulily CrunchBase Profile".
- Kauffman Fellows Strategic Alliance
- TrueBridge Capital Partners Announces Final Closing of CVE-Kauffman Fellows Endowment Fund
- TechJournal South: TrueBridge Capital closes $310M fund