Trumaine Johnson (cornerback)
Johnson in 2013
|No. 22 Los Angeles Rams|
|Date of birth:||January 1, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Stockton, California|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||208 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Stockton (CA) Edison|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 3 / Pick: 65|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2016|
Trumaine Monte Johnson (born January 1, 1990) is an American football cornerback for the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Montana. He was considered one of the best cornerback prospects for the 2012 NFL Draft.
In 2011, Johnson played college football for Montana, where he started 13-of-14 games, recording 54-12-2 with a forced fumble, six tackles for loss, and a sack. The previous season he was ninth on the team in tackles with 44 stops. He was second at UM with four interceptions, and returned two of those picks for touchdowns. In 2009, he had team-highs of five interceptions and 12 pass deflections in 11 games (he missed four contests due to injury). He would be ranked first (tie) in the league in pass deflections (1.09 pg) and second in interceptions (0.45 pg). He was fourth on the team with 31 solo tackles, and was the team's fourth leading returning tackler with 54 stops. He was a First-team All-Big Sky pick. In 2008, he was a rare starter at corner as a true freshman. He was a Big Sky honorable mention selection. He tied for the team lead with four interceptions and tied for sixth in the Big Sky with .36 picks a game. He started in the first 11 games, but suffered an injury against Idaho State and missed UM's last five games.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 2 in||204 lb||4.50 s||1.62 s||2.62 s||4.15 s||7.20 s||35½ in||10 ft 2 in||19 reps||x|
|All values from NFL Combine Pro Day|
In Week 4 of the 2012 season, Johnson recorded his first career interception, picking off quarterback Russell Wilson. In Week 16, He recorded three pass-breakups and his second interception of his career against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, picking off Josh Freeman.
With the injuries and poor play of Cortland Finnegan, Johnson earned his first significant starting duty in 2013, playing in all 16 games, starting 12. In the 2013 season opener, Johnson broke up two passes and logged his third pick of his career, grabbing Carson Palmer's pass and returning it 29 yards to the 4-yard line. In Week 10, he intercepted Andrew Luck and defended three passes in a 38-8 blowout win against the Indianapolis Colts. In Week 15, Johnson picked off Drew Brees and recorded six tackles in a win over the New Orleans Saints, marking his fifth interception of his career. He finished with 68 tackles, 3 interceptions, and a forced fumble.
Slated as the starting corner opposite Janoris Jenkins, Johnson suffered disappointment in 2014, when in the Rams third preseason game versus the Cleveland Browns, he injured his knee and was carried off the field on a cart. The next day he was declared out for 6 weeks. In Week 11, three weeks since coming back from injury, Johnson picked off Peyton Manning late in the fourth quarter to seal the win against the Denver Broncos. In Week 13, Johnson recorded his first career multi-interception game, picking off Derek Carr twice and returning his second pick 43 yards to the end zone for a touchdown, his first career pick-six in a 52-0 shutout against the Oakland Raiders. He finished the season with 36 tackles, three interceptions, six passes defended, and a touchdown. Despite playing only nine games, he led the Rams in interceptions.
Once again the starting corner opposite Jenkins, the 2015 season was his breakout year, leading the team in interceptions. In the season opener, Johnson picked off Russell Wilson and returned it 15 yards against the Seattle Seahawks. In Week 5, he picked off Aaron Rodgers and returned it 29 yards to the Packers' 33-yard line against the Green Bay Packers. In Week 9, Johnson intercepted Teddy Bridgewater in the end zone for a touchback in the third quarter against the Minnesota Vikings. In Week 11, Johnson intercepted Joe Flacco and returned it 25 yards against the Baltimore Ravens. After this play, he suffered a thigh injury and would miss the next two weeks. Coming back from his injury, Johnson went on a tear, recording a interception in three straight games, picking off Russell Wilson for the third time in his career against the Seahawks in Week 16, Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions in Week 14, and Jameis Winston and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 15. He finished the 2015 season recording 71 tackles and a career-high seven interceptions. The last time a Rams' player recorded at least seven interceptions in a single season was Oshiomogho Atogwe in 2007.
On March 1, 2016, the Rams placed the franchise tag of around $14 million on Johnson. In Week 4, he picked off Carson Palmer and recorded a season-high six pass breakups in the 17-13 win against the Arizona Cardinals. He started 14 games in 2016, totaling 57 tackles, 11 passes defensed and one interception.
On March 1, 2017, the Rams placed the franchise tag on Johnson for the second consecutive year.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
In December 2011, Johnson pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct charges relating to an incident in October of that year. On March 22, 2013, Johnson was arrested for drunk driving in Missoula. In May 2013, he pleaded guilty to reckless driving and received a one-year suspended sentence.
- "Profile". rostermon.com.
- NFL Draft Scout
- NFL Draftscout.com
- Broner, Tevin (2012-04-27). "Rams 2012 Draft Picks: St. Louis Selects Trumaine Johnson". Turf Show Times. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- "Trumaine Johnson". SB Nation St. Louis. 2012-09-30. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- "Rams get big days from Sam Bradford, Steven Jackson to buck Bucs". USA TODAY. 2012-12-23. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- "Sam Bradford, Rams rally to boot Cardinals in fourth". USA TODAY. 2013-09-08. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Marot, Michael (2013-11-10). "Austin leads Rams to 38-8 blowout at Indianapolis (VIDEO)". News Tribune. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Thomas, Jim (2013-12-15). "Rams score huge upset win over Saints". stltoday.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Thomas, Jim (2014-08-23). "Bradford re-injures knee in win over Browns". stltoday.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2014-08-25). "Wake Up Sprinting: Shaun's the Starter". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2014-11-16). "Defense Stands Tall in Victory Over Broncos". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2014-11-30). "Rams Rock Raiders, 52-0". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Clements, Ron (2015-09-13). "Nick Foles leads comeback over Seahawks in Rams debut". Sporting News. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2015-10-11). "Rams Fall to Green Bay, 24-10". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2015-11-08). "Rams Fall to Vikings in Overtime". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2015-11-22). "Ravens Top Rams on Last-Second Field Goal". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Lyons, Joe (2015-12-11). "Rams notes: Johnson set for return against Detroit on Sunday". stltoday.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2015-12-13). "Gurley Lifts Rams to 21-14 Win Over Lions". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2015-12-17). "Fast Start Sends Rams to 31-23 Win Over Bucs". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Simmons, Myles (2015-12-27). "Rams Sweep Seattle, Move to 4-1 in NFC West". Los Angeles Rams. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Patra, Kevin (2016-03-04). "Trumaine Johnson accepts franchise tender from Rams". NFL.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Kosko, John (2016-10-03). "LA-ARI grades: Rams defense shines in victory | PFF". www.profootballfocus.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Bain, Nate (March 1, 2017). "Rams Tag CB Trumaine Johnson". TheRams.com.
- "Trumaine Johnson". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Florio, Gwen (December 20, 2011). "2 Griz football players plead no contest to disorderly conduct". Missoulian.
- Thorsell, Mark (March 22, 2013). "Ex-Griz Trumaine Johnson arrested for DUI". KPAX-TV.
- Cates, Irina (May 15, 2013). "Trumaine Johnson pleads guilty to lesser charge after DUI arrest". KPAX-TV.