Trumbull High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Trumbull High School|
|72 Strobel Road
Trumbull, Connecticut, Fairfield County 06611
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Trumbull School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Gary Cialfi|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.1|
Trumbull High School was founded in 1961 following a population increase in Trumbull during the 1950s. It was originally located at 4630 Madison Avenue, in the building currently serving as Madison Middle School. As the 1960s progressed, the town was compelled to commission a new high school to accommodate further population growth. In 1971 a new school was constructed at 72 Strobel Road, offering a then-modern auditorium (originally designed as a lecture hall), two-story media center, and athletic complex. Middlebrook Junior High School was converted to Middlebrook Elementary School and the Madison Avenue complex was converted to Madison Junior High School.
Trumbull High School housed grades 10–12 until 1987–1988, when ninth-graders were moved to the high school, and sixth-graders were moved to the Madison and Hillcrest middle schools.
The Trumbull Board of Education has commissioned an extensive renovation program for the school, which is to be renovated to a "like new" state. The entire school will be renovated. The old auditorium has replaced with a state-of-the-art performance hall, with a new lobby and glass facade. Two corner wings have been added to the areas between A and B wings and B and C wings on both floors. The nurse's office has been relocated to a larger office in the M-wing, which is in its first phase of renovation. New lighting and ew kitchens have been installed, with an industrial kitchen in the works. A new dean's office is located in M wing and a new main office has been built.
All three academic wings have been renovated, with the exception of the flooring. The classrooms have new windows, smart boards, climate control, new flooring and a telephone for in-school calls. The lighting in the commons has been improved. The corridor where the former main office was now contains a row of eight water fountains. The elevator has new fixtures and carpeting. B House has new offices, classrooms, and lockers. A new art chorus classroom now occupies the space where temporary classrooms were located. The media center, now called the literacy center, is complete. The lower portion has computers and good-quality carpeting and furniture. The spiral staircase has been removed and a new circulation desk has been commissioned. The upper portion of the media center has a more organized feel, with dedicated offices and workrooms for the different departments. The new washrooms are modern and ADA compliant. The building will feature campus-wide WiFi, with a bring your own device policy, effective for the 2013–2014 school year.
The following courses are offered at the Advanced Placement (AP) level: English Language, English Literature, French, Spanish, Calculus AB & BC, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics B & C, Environmental Science, American History, European History, Government & Politics, and Psychology.
Trumbull High offers: Knowledge Masters, Debate Club, Model Congress, We the People Team, Fed. Challenge, Mock Trial, French/Spanish/Italian/National Honor Societies, French/Spanish/Italian Club, Math Honor Society (Mu Alpha Theta), Key Club, Interact Club, FCCLA, FFA, buildOn, Broken Shells, Cultural Diversity Club, Newspaper (Eagle's Eye), Yearbook, Peer Mediation, Red Cross Club, Robotics Club, SADD Club, Peer Leaders, STAND, Jazz Band, Vocal Ensemble, Art Club, Student Council, Web Team, ENN News, and many more.
- MAC Class IV Champions 2001, 2003; Class V Champions 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2015
- United States Presidential Inaugural Parade – 2001, 2009
- MAC Scholastic Marching Open Winter Percussion Champions 2008
- WGI Percussion World Championships SO Finalists 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- WGI Percussion World Championships SO Finalists – Silver Medalists 2008, 2009
- WGI Colorguard World Championships SW Finalists 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- WGI Colorguard World Championships SO Class Bronze Medalists 2006
- EMBA Class III Gold Division Champions 2000
- 2002, 2006, 2010 Citrus Bowl Parade, Orlando Florida
- 2002, 2006, 2010 Epcot Parade, Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida
- 1999, 2004, 2008, 2012 Hollywood Christmas Parade, Hollywood CA
- 1998 First Place Gold Division Windjammers Competition, U.S. Coast Guard
- 1997 Florida Citrus Bowl Field Show – Class AA/Overall Grand Champions
- 1997 Bands Of America – Division AA Class Champions – www.bands.org
- 2016 Bands Of America - Division AAA Class Champions
- 2016 Bands Of America - Regional Champions
- 1997, 2017 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- 1996 Mardi Gras Parade Champions, New Orleans, LA:Rex and Endymion Parades
- 1996,1997,1998,1999 EMBA Class V Runner Up
- 1993 Citrus Bowl Class A Field Show Champions
- 1992, 1994, 1995 EMBA Class IV Champions
- 2012 Fiesta Bowl Parade
- Main Street Parade, Magic Kingdom Parade, Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida
- Electric Light Parade, Magic Kingdom Parade, Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida
- 2015, 2016 UBS Parade Spectacular
- 2015 USBands – Class 6 Open Third Place Nationals
- 2016 USBands – Class 6 Open National Champions
- Boys Ice Hockey State Champions, 2012
- Football State Champions 1977, 1985, 1986
- Football FCIAC Champions 1977, 1980, 1986, 1989, 2005
- Girls Soccer State Champions 1996–1999, 2001, 2006–08
- Girls Soccer FCIAC Champions 1996–2001, 2005, 2006
- Boys Soccer FCIAC Champions 2006, 2011
- Baseball State Champions, 1986, 1998
- Baseball FCIAC Champions 1986, 2004
- Girls Basketball Class 'LL' State Champion 1974
- Boys Basketball Class 'LL' State Finalist 1974
- Girls Gymnastics FCIAC Champions 2006, 2007
- Field Hockey FCIAC Champions 1984, 1986
- Field Hockey Class 'L' State Champions 1986
- Softball FCIAC Champions 1983, 1987, 2004, 2005, 2010
- Boys Volleyball FCIAC Champions 2001, 2002
- Boys Volleyball State Champions 2001
- American Scholastic Press Association "Most Outstanding High School Yearbook" 2004, 2005
- We the People Connecticut State Champions Top Ten in the Nation 2003, 2005, 2007, 2013
- Math Team – Fairfield County Winner(2005, 2006), Connecticut State Champions(2005), Top Ten in New England (2005, 2006)
- Paul Catanese -author writing under the name "P. W. Catanese"
- Mark Longwell (1978) – All-New England soccer player at Fairfield University who went on to compete for the United States men's national soccer team and Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Roger Friedman (1975) – columnist and entertainment reporter for various news organizations and media.
- Tony Horton (1976) – exercise instructor best known for P90X
- Harold Jensen (1983) – player on Villanova University's 1985 NCAA championship basketball team, who played a key role in the nationally televised championship game versus Georgetown
- Craig Breslow (1998) – professional baseball pitcher for the Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, and Oakland A's.
- Jamie D'Antona (2001) – former MLB player (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Manya Makoski (2002) – Professional soccer player for the Los Angeles Sol, Atlanta Beat, and Sky Blue FC
- "Archived Score History Click on the links below for details and recaps for each show of that season". Musicalartsconference.com. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "Trumbull High School Golden Eagle Marching Band". Thsgembcorp.com. December 8, 2008. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "Marching Band Home Page". Thsgemb.com. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- ".". Jewish Ledger. April 12, 2006. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- "Trumbull High School – Trumbull, Connecticut/CT – Public School Profile". Publicschoolreview.com. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "Girls Soccer". Casciac.org. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- Singh, Vinti (August 13, 2011). "Celebrity fitness instructor and Trumbull native to return home". Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- WPS - Press Release (January 28, 2010). "Women's Professional Soccer: WPS discontinues operations of Los Angeles Sol". Womensprosoccer.com. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- Trumbull High School
- Trumbull High School "Strategic School Profile 2005–2006", Connecticut Department of Education
- Trumbull High School Web page at Great Schools Web site