|Traded as||NZX: TPW|
|Headquarters||Tauranga, New Zealand|
Number of employees
Trustpower is New Zealand's fifth largest electricity generator (in terms of MW capacity, GWh output and revenue) and the fourth largest electricity retailer (in customer numbers), serving 277,000 customers throughout New Zealand. The company owns and operates 34 power stations. It generates the majority of its electricity using renewable energy sources, primarily hydro-electric but also wind farms.
The company's ownership structure is dominated by its two major shareholders: Infratil which owns 50.5% and the Tauranga Energy Consumer Trust (TECT) which owns 26.8%. The company's remaining shares are owned by 12,000 small parcel shareholders and there are also 12,000 bond holders.
In 2015, it bought 65% of King Country Energy Ltd from Nova Energy. King Country Energy generates all of its electricity from renewable sources (principally hydro-electric generation) and supplies electricity to the Waitomo, King Country and Ruapehu Districts. King Country Energy was incorporated in 1991.
|Bream Bay||diesel||9 MW||2011||Northland|
|Lloyd Mandeno||hydro||16 MW||Bay of Plenty|
|Lower Mangapapa||hydro||5.6 MW||1979|
|Kaimai 5||hydro||0.3 MW|
|Wheao / Flaxy||hydro||26 MW||1982|
|Arnold||hydro||3 MW||1932||West Coast|
|McKay's Creek||hydro||1.1 MW||1931|
|Paerau / Patearea||hydro||12 MW||1984||Otago|
|Deep Stream||hydro||5 MW||2008|
|Snowtown Wind Farm||wind||368 MW||2008, 2014||South Australia|
|Myponga Wind Farm||wind||35 MW||proposed|
|Dundonnell Wind Farm||wind||300 MW||proposed||Victoria|
|Salt Creek Wind Farm||wind||30 MW||proposed|
On 2 November 2008, Trustpower opened Stage 1 of the Snowtown Wind Farm, its first wind farm in Australia. The wind farm is near the township of Snowtown, 170 km north of Adelaide, and will generate 370-380 GWh pa with 47 wind turbines. Project cost is $220 million. The project was completed in November 2014.
In 2016, resource consent applications were lodged for the Waverley Wind Farm.
- "Financial Statements 2016" (PDF). TrustPower. 15 May 2016.
- "Major shareholders". TrustPower. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Contract to purchase Energy Direct NZ now unconditional". NZX. 14 June 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "Trustpower becomes new majority shareholder in KCE – changes to KCE board". King Country Energy. 7 December 2015.
- "TrustPower Opens Australian Wind Farm" (Press release). TrustPower. 2 November 2008.
- Porter, David (13 November 2014). "Powered up to expand green charge". New Zealand Herald.
- "Dundonnell Wind Farm - proposed project". Trustpower.
- "Salt Creek Wind Farm - proposed project". Trustpower.
- "TrustPower decides not to proceed with Myponga Wind Farm" (Press release). Trustpower. 10 September 2009. Retrieved 2010-10-16.
|Wikinews has related news: Trustpower plans to build new windfarm in New Zealand|