Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission
|Formed||15 October 2018|
|Jurisdiction||The Republic of The Gambia|
|Headquarters||Dunes Resort Hotel, Kotu Beach, Kololi, The Gambia|
The Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission (TRRC) is a truth commission in The Gambia to investigate the Yahya Jammeh era from 1994 to 2017. The process from the announcement of the commission to its launch lasted from 20 July 2017 to 15 October 2018. Its executive secretary is Baba Galleh Jallow, its lead counsel is Essa M. Faal, and the chairperson of the 11-strong commission is Lamin J. Sise.
The process for founding the TRRC was led by the Attorney General, Ba Tambadou. At a press conference on 20 July 2017, Tambadou announced that a draft bill for the establishment of the TRRC had been shared with international experts for review. He also announced that a team, led by himself, would begin a public engagement tour on the bill in August, which lasted from 14 to 24 August. Tambadou then proceeded to table the bill before the National Assembly. On 13 December 2017, the Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission (TRC) Act was passed, and it received presidential assent on 13 January 2018.
Barrow appointed academic Baba Galleh Jallow as Executive Secretary of the TRRC with effect from 1 February 2018. Also in February, a call was made for nominations to the TRRC. The job description specified that individuals should be of "high moral character and integrity," "no criminal record or involvement in past human rights violations," no political party activity, and residency in either the Greater Banjul Area or in the diaspora. In August 2018, Jallow appointed Alagie Barrow as the director of research and investigation for the commission. It was announced that the commission would begin proceedings on 15 October 2018. On 5 October, Abdoulie Janneh, who had previously been announced as the chairperson of the commissioners, stepped down from the role due to scheduling conflicts. Lamin J. Sise, a close confidante of the late UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, was announced to replace him.
The commission was launched at Dunes Resort Hotel, Kotu Beach, Kololi, on 15 October. It was launched by President Adama Barrow and attended by senior figures including Mariam Jack-Denton, the Speaker of the National Assembly, Hassan Bubacar Jallow, the Chief Justice, and members of the diplomatic corps, the National Assembly, civil society, and international organisations. Barrow noted that the TRRC would be independent, and was the sixth truth commission launched in Africa in its history. Other speakers included Ba Tambadou, the Attorney General, Sherif Kijera of The Gambia Centre for Victims of Human Rights Violations, Fatou Bensouda, the current chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Mohamed Ibn Chambas, the UN Secretary-General's special representative for West Africa, and Miguel de Serpa Soares, the UN Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs. Baba Galleh Jallow delivered the vote of thanks.
Staff and commissioners
A number of job posting were advertised, starting in June 2018, at the commission. Five research assistants, nine investigators, and 20 statement takers were advertised for. A number of coordinator roles were also advertised for, including in victim support, community outreach, youth and children, and women's affairs.
|Executive Secretary||Baba Galleh Jallow||Assistant professor of history, La Salle University|
Former editor, The Daily Observer
|Deputy Executive Secretary||Musu Bakoto Sawo||Lecturer in law, University of The Gambia|
Gambia programme officer, The Girl Generation
|Lead Counsel||Essa M. Faal||Defence counsel, International Criminal Court|
Senior partner, Faal and Co
|Director of Research and Investigations||Alagie Barrow||Former officer, Tennessee Army National Guard|
|Deputy Director of Research and Investigations||Mansour Jobe||State counsel, Attorney General's Chambers|
Former lecturer in law, Gambia Technical Training Institute
|Director of Communications, Outreach and Media||Rohey Samba||Secretary general, Writers' Association of The Gambia|
Secretary to the board, Collecting Society of The Gambia
|Chief Financial Officer||Vacant|
|Director of Human Resources||Vacant|
|Victim Support Coordinator||Vacant|
|Community Outreach Coordinator||Vacant|
|Youth and Children's Network Coordinator||Vacant|
|Women's Affairs Coordinator||Vacant|
This is the list of designated commissioners released to the media in August 2018, they are not yet confirmed.
|Lamin J. Sise||Chairperson||Special advisor and chief of staff to Kofi Annan|
Director for Legal Affairs, Human Rights and Special Assignments in the Executive Office of the UN Secretary-General
|Adelaide Sosseh Gaye||Vice-Chairperson||Director, Gambia Africa Institute for Leadership (GAIL)|
Former principal, St. Joseph's High School, Banjul
|Anna N'gulu Jones||Gambia national coordinator, West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP)|
|Mustapha Kah||Founder, Banjul Open Debate|
Independent candidate for Jeshwang, 2017 parliamentary election, Member, National Youth Council
|Abdourahman Sey||Central River Region||Imam|
|Ma Nyima Bojang||West Coast Region||Teacher|
Former magistrate, Banjul Magistrates' Court
|Amie Samba||Lower River Region||Retired civil servant|
|Lang Kinteh||North Bank Region||Retired civil servant|
|Jammeh Ceesay||Upper River Region||Farmer|
|James Yaw Allen Odico||Bishop of Gambia|
|Ousainou Jallow||Imam, Pipeline Mosque|
- "Draft bill on truth, reconciliation and reparations commission concluded". Foroyaa. 21 July 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "National Consultation on the Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission". Gainako. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Gambia: MPs adopt bill to probe Jammeh-era crimes". APA News. 14 December 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission (TRRC) Act". Law Hub Gambia. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Barrow appoints Gambia's Truth, Reconciliation Commission boss". Pana Press. 5 February 2018. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Call for Nominations of Commissioners to the TRRC". Freedom Newspaper. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "TRRC appoints director of Research & Investigations". The Point. 10 August 2018. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "TRRC Update: Countdown to launching". Freedom Newspaper. 18 August 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "LAMIN J. SISE AS CHAIRPERSON OF THE TRUTH, RECONCILIATION AND REPARATIONS COMMISSION OF THE GAMBIA". Freedom Newspaper. 4 October 2018. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "President Barrow launches TRRC". The Point. 16 October 2018. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "TRRC Jobs". Bantaba in Cyberspace. 18 June 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "TRRC Gets New Deputy Executive Secretary". Network Gambia. 26 July 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Prosecutor Of Gambia's Truth And Reconciliation Commission Appointed". Jollof News. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "TRRC appoints deputy director of Research and Investigations". The Point. 4 September 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Rohey Samba is TRRC director of Communications, Outreach & Media". The Point. 17 August 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "President's Designated TRRC Appointees Announced". Foroyaa. 24 August 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.