Tryst, IIT Delhi
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Activity||Competitive events, guest lectures, technical workshops, and exhibitions|
|Organised by||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi|
Tryst is the annual technical festival of the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, held in February and March. The festival is the largest technical festival in North India, with an attendance of more than 45,000 people. Competitive events, guest lectures, technical workshops, and exhibitions all take place at the festival.
History and awards
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tryst has featured a number of guest lecturers including Jeff Lieberman, Nathan Seiberg, Kazutaka Kurihara, Anil Kakodkar, and Montek Singh Ahluwalia. Attendance grew from 100 to 15,000 participants in its first six years. The fest is marked with laser shows, events showcasing robot dances and stunts performed by machines designed by the students. The fest generally offers a plethora of events, in the form of Guest Lectures, Quizzes and Competitions, Informal events, Workshops, etc. Over the years, several eminent personalities have attended the festival, like Archana Sharma, Kris Gopalakrishnan, Sudhir Sethi, Kunal Shah and some more eminent personalities like Richard Stallman, Jayati Ghosh, etc. The fest also had a Flipkart Q&A Session with Sachin Bansal and Binni Bansal during Tryst’17. The IIT Parliamentary Debate competition is also held along with TRYST, attracting a huge crowd of students from all over the student fraternity.
Tryst is among the very few student organizations that are recognised by the United Nations. One of the well known one is by UNESCO for promotion of technical knowledge.
The Tryst logo is modelled on the hyperbolic paraboloid. The shape of the Logo has been inspired by the Hyperbolic shape of the rooftop of the famous Dogra Hall in the campus of IIT Delhi.
Tryst is an entirely student organised body. With an Overall Coordinator (OC), 7 Core Team Members, 60 coordinators, more than 200 Activity Heads and 700+ Campus Ambassadors, the team works for making every edition of Tryst remarkable and works like a disciplined body.
The organising team of a department is annually composed of a Core Team Members (CTM), Coordinators & Activity Heads each pertaining to the following departments, namely:Marketing, Publicity, Events, Guest Lectures, Finance, Infrastructure, Workshops, Prizes, Hospitality & Security.
Tryst has been associated with Facebook, Yahoo!, Samsung, IBM, and JCB. Technical partners of Tryst have included Infosys, Texas Instruments, Robosapiens, Robotech Labs, Moser Baer, and Wigilant. In the automobile sector, Datsun and Tata Motors have partnered with Tryst. Educational partners of Tryst include Internshala, vmock, Campus France, and Chegg. Financial sponsors and partners of Tryst include PayPal, Punjab National Bank, American Express, Swiggy, Pizza Hut, Kwality Wall's, and Mr. Sub.
Tryst’12 was held from 2 to 5 March 2012 & had over 20,000 attendees. Famous personnel such as Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission-Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Flipkart CEO-Sachin Bansal, PayU's Co-Founder/ CEO-Nitin Gupta, CTO of Quick Heal-Sanjay Katkar,Co-Founder at 91SpringBoard - Pranay Gupta were some of the highlighted Guest Lecturers. Tryst’12 was partnered by Planning Commission, NSE & many others.Seminars were held by famous business personalities like Soumitra Dutta , Wilfried Aulbur & had flagship events such as Rude Goldberg, Chemcross, Pathfinder, PokerCoding as well as many others.
Tryst '13 was held from 1 to 4 March 2013, and had over 25,000 attendees. Guest Lectures were held by perplexing speakers like Host of the Discovery TV show “Time Warp”-Jeff Lieberman,String Theory Physicist -Nathan Seiberg,Former Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre-Anil Kadodkar,Renowned Physicist-Ajoy Ghatak, Ig Nobel Prize Winner-Chittaranjan Andrade, Ig Nobel Prize winners-Kazukata Kurihara & featured flagship events like Golden Gate, Business Plan, Junkyard Wars, Arjun, Asgard & many more. The theme for Tryst 2013 was the commemoration of the 3W's:- Weird, Wacky and Wild developments in science & technology.
Tryst '14 was held from 25–28 February 2014 & had over 30,000 attendees. Famous Personalities such as Andrew Newton-Stage Hypnosist, B.N Suresh-Former Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (‘03-’07), Avinash Chander-Former Director General of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Marco Sampeiro-Professor. Bocconi University, Rupamanjari Ghosh- Former Dean at the School of Physical Sciences, JNU, Sanjay Anand- Partner, Engineering Manager, Microsoft, Rajiv Khosla-Director of Research Centre for Computers, Communication and Social Innovation(RECCSI),Walter Lewin-Former professor Physics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology(MIT) & many more held Guest Lectures.Tryst’14 held bemusing events like Energypreneur, Algorhythm, Ultimate Tic Tac Toe, Logicape, Bug Smash with various other to participate & enjoy. The theme of Tryst’14 was exploring the unanswered question “Dividing By Zero”.
Tryst '15 was held from 25–28 February 2015. Personalities like Praveen Vettiyattil(President, Sharda Solutions), Saloni Malhotra(CEO, DesiCrew), Prateek A. Sethi(Director, Producer), Manish Jain(Billiards & Snooker Player, India), Paul Halpern( Professor of Physics, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia),Ashoke Sen(Physicist), Alberto Minetti(Cyclist, Participated in ‘80 Olympics) were some of the guest lecturers. Events like MineMaze, MonoGraphia, Rubiks Cube & many more were limelight events of Tryst’15.
The theme of Tryst 2016, held from February 26 –28, was 'FIFTH DIMENSION,' to celebrate the idea of conceptualising gravity as a dimension, in a way similar to spatial coordinates and time. The festival consisted of several events, like RoboSoccer, Robowars, quizzes like Electroquiz, Astro Quiz, and a Gaming Night. Along with this, there was the Youth Parliament, Paper Presentation, Fake Research, Mock Stocks, Bridge Building, Embeddtrix and Speedy CAD Design. Besides these amazing events Tryst’16 held many exuberant Guest Lecturers like Richard Stallman- Led the GNU/Linux Project, Team INDUS- Demonstration of Moon Rover for Google Lunar X, Kris Gopalkrishnan- Co-Founder of Infosys, Radhika Ghai Agrawal- Co-Founder ShopClues, Kunal Shah-CEO Freecharge, Sarthak Sethi-Child Prodigy & Entrepreneur, Jayati Ghosh- World Renowned Economist & JNU professor, Sachin & Binny Bansal- Co-Founders of Flipkart. The students who took part in the workshops and competitions were very delighted & charmed with the atmosphere they received in the festival.
The theme of Tryst 2017, held from February 24–27, was 'DECODING THE PATTERN', to shed off the daily routines & to create something new & exciting 24*7. Tryst'17 received patronage from UNESCO
for encouraging universal respect and international peace for human rights by promoting collaboration among nations.Patronage from UNESCO is the highest form of support that UNESCO bestows upon a Non-Profit Organisation. Tryst'17 included events like, Junkyard Electronics, Comicstrip-ory, Cryptex, Underwater Projects, Decipher-D-Cipher, Math-e-Motifs & lots more. Gripping Quizzes like Quiz-Up, Code Hunt, ChemEQuiz, Balloon Quiz & Estimath etc. were held. Tryst'17 had an assembly of shining stars of Modern World for its Guest Lecturers like-Vinita Pannikar- Vice President at Oracle,Michael Gorriz- Global CIO Standard Chartered Bank, Zarin Daruwala- CEO Standard Chartered India, Brian Acton- Co-Founder Whatsapp, Shafi Ahmed World's First VR Surgeon, Richard Muller-Professor at Berkeley, R Chidambaram- Led India's Nuclear Weapons Programme(POKHRAN- I,II), Ulrich Bez- Ex-CEO Aston Martin.Tryst'17 hosted two panels, one of which was,'Women at ISRO' who worked upon the astounding Mars Orbiter Mission consisted of, Moumita Dutta of the Payload Division and the Program Manager of MOM, Minal Rohit, also from the Payload division and the Program Manager of Methane Sensor on MOM and Ritu Karidhal, the Overall Project manager.The other panel was,'Crackdown On Indian Economy' consisting of Jayati Ghosh- World Renowned Economist,Amiya Bagchi- Political Economist, Balaji Vishwanathan- Most Followed Person on Quora, Govinda Rao Marapalli- Director at National Institute of Political Finance & Policy.
The theme of Tryst 2018, held from February 23–26, was 'INFINITY & BEYOND', to expand the boundaries of our thoughts to the spaces where they have never wandered before & revolutionise the world. The festival consisted of several extravagant events, like Fake Research, IPL Auction, Forensics, Asgard and many more. It consisted of numerous stimulating quizzes like Airborne, Physics & Astro Quiz, Enquisto, Green quiz & many more. Along with this we had captivating workshops like Mock Stock, then & now trending Bitcoin & Blockchain, Digital Marketing etc. Besides these fascinating events & workshops we also had many lively Guest Lecturers like Don Vaughn-DJ,Neuroscientist, Faculty at UCLA, Casey Handmer-Levitation Engineer,HYPERLOOP, Robert Metcalfe-Inventor of ETHERNET, Ishan Gupta-M.D. Udacity, Kavin Bharti Mittal- CEO, Hike Messenger,Sonia Shrivastava-Head, Vodafone Foundation. Tryst'18 proudly presented its first ever Social Theme- 'Sashakt- Empowering Women Together' which had several successful female panelists & guest lecturers like Mriganka Dadwal(Founder, SLAP), Avani Bansal(Advocate, Supreme Court and M.Phil., University of Oxford), Deepti Goel(Investment Professional, Alpha Capital) and Zeenat Mallick(Lawyer) etc. Well liked comedians Biswa Kalyan Rath, Abhishek Upmanyu graced the stage & delighted the public by their humourous jokes.
Competitions are the generally major part of any technical fests.Tryst hosts many exciting competitions every year.Some of the interesting and famous competitions hosted by tryst are International Robotics Challenge, HACK-IT, National Junior Robotics Challenge, Android Hackathon, Quadcopter Challenge, IOT Challenge, Asgard and many more.These competitions have always encouraged students towards technology.
Examples of workshops held at Tryst include Ethical Hacking, Automobile Mechanics, Sixth Sense Robotixs, Android App Development, Cloud Computing, Quadcopter/UAV, Internet of Things, and Mock Stock. Each year the festival has new workshops to give an overview of the subject and provide hands on experience.
Notable guests who have lectured at Tryst include:
- Ajoy Ghatak — Indian physicist and author of physics textbooks
- Alberto Minetti — Italian former cyclist, competed at the 1980 Summer Olympics
- Anil Kadodkar — Indian nuclear physicist and mechanical engineer, former chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission of India
- Avinash Chander — Indian scientist and former Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister
- B. N Suresh — Indian aerospace scientist and former Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- Jayati Ghosh — Indian economist and Professor of Economics at Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Jeff Lieberman — American artist, engineer, and host of the documentary show Time Warp on Discovery Channel
- Mark Edward — American professional mentalist and author who specializes in magic of the mind
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia — Indian economist and civil servant who was the Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission of India
- Narayana Murthy and Kris Gopalakrishnan — Co-founders of Infosys
- Rajagopala Chidambaram — Indian physicist and former leader of India's Nuclear Weapons Program
- Richard A. Muller — American physicist and professor of physics at the University of California, Berkeley
- Richard Stallman — American free software movement activist and programmer, founded the GNU Project and Free Software Foundation
- Ryōji Noyori — Japanese chemist, won Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2001
- Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal — Indian entrepreneurs and founders of Flipkart
- Shafi Ahmed — Bangladeshi surgeon, teacher, and entrepreneur
- Steven Ballmer — American businessman and former CEO of Microsoft
- Ulrich Bez — German businessman and former CEO of Aston Martin
- Walter Lewin —Dutch astrophysicist and former professor of physics at MIT
- "International Robotics Challenge Grand Finale - ROBONATION". ROBONATION. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "HACK-IT | The Hacking Challenge at IIT Delhi - ROBONATION". ROBONATION. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "National Junior Robotics Challenge at IIT Delhi - ROBONATION". ROBONATION. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Android Hackathon at IIT Delhi - ROBONATION". ROBONATION. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Quadcopter Challenge - ROBONATION". ROBONATION. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "IOT Challenge at IIT Delhi - ROBONATION". ROBONATION. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Asgard". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Ethical Hacking Workshop". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Automobile Mechanics & IC Engine Workshop". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Sixth Sense Robotics Workshop". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Android App Development". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Cloud Computing Workshop". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Introduction to Quadcopter/UAV". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Internet of Things Workshop". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Mock Stock". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Tryst, IIT Delhi - Events | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "IIT Delhi's Tryst 2013 tech fest kicks off March 1st". Digit. 28 February 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "Guest Lectures at Tryst, IIT Delhi". Wext.in. 18 February 2017. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "IIT Delhi's Tryst 2012 fest kicks off on March 2nd". Digit. 29 February 2012. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "Tryst IIT Delhi Photos | Images of Tryst IIT Delhi - Times of India - Page 5". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "IIT all set for annual technical festival, Tryst | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 23 February 2017. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "IIT Delhi's Tryst 2017 to begin from February 24". Inshorts - Stay Informed. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "12th IIT Parliamentary Debate Organised by IIT Delhi gets huge response - New Delhi Times - India's Only International Newspaper". New Delhi Times. 28 February 2017. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- Official website (offline)