|Province de la Tshopo|
|Country||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
|Named for||Tshopo River|
|• Governor||Louis-Marie Walle Lufungula|
|• Total||199,567 km2 (77,053 sq mi)|
|• Density||13/km2 (34/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (Central Africa Time)|
Tshopo is one of the 21 new provinces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo created in the 2015 repartitioning. It is situated in the north central part of the country on the Tshopo River, for which it is named.
Tshopo, Bas-Uele, Haut-Uele, and Ituri provinces are the result of the dismemberment of the former Orientale province. Tshopo was formed from the Tshopo district and the independently administered city of Kisangani which retained its status as a provincial capital.
The provincial capital is the city of Kisangani. Territories are:
From 1963 to 1966, the area was constituted as the province of Haut-Congo. It was merged into Orientale Province in 1966 as, separately, the District of Tshopo and the city of Kisangani. The Presidents (later governors) of Haut-Congo were:
- 1963 – 26 June 1963: Georges Grenfell (b. 1908)
- 26 June 1963 – 1964: Paul Isombuma
- 1964 – August 1964: François Aradjabu
- August 1964 – 5 Nov 1966: Jean Marie Alamazani
Provincial status was re-instated to Tshopo in 2015, being formed from Tshopo District and the city of Kisangani.
Approximate correspondence between historical and current province
|Belgian Congo||Republic of the Congo||Zaire||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
|22 districts||4 provinces||6 provinces||6 provinces||21 provinces + capital||8 provinces + capital||8 provinces + capital||11 provinces||11 provinces||26 provinces|
- "Congo (Kinshasa) provinces". Rulers. Retrieved 9 July 2019.
- "Découpage territorial : procédures d'installation de nouvelles provinces". Radio Okapi (in French). 13 July 2015. Archived from the original on 19 July 2015. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- Blaes, X. (October 2008). "Découpage administratif de la République Démocratique du Congo" (PDF). PNUD-SIG. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-04-01. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- "Provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo". Statiods.com.
- Provinceorientale.cd the Government official site for Orientale Province.
- Stanleyville.be City of Kisangani Website.
- Bamanisajean.unblog.fr is Governor Jean Bamanisa's blog site.
- @Prov_orientale Twitter for Orentale Provincial Government
- Facebook Orentale Provincial Government
|This Democratic Republic of the Congo location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|