Tsing Yi North Bridge
Tsing Yi North Bridge is also called Tsing Tsuen Bridge (Chinese: 青荃橋) which connects the Tam Kon Shan Interchange of Tsing Yi Island and Texaco Road Roundabout of Tsuen Wan, across the Rambler Channel. The bridge is built by the Japanese Contractor Firm, Maeda Co.(前田建設工業); the Consulting Engineers being Scott Wilson Kirkpatrick & Partners and was completed on 10 December 1987. The North Bridge was designed to solve the traffic congestion problem in Tsing Yi, which was connected with Kwai Chung by Tsing Yi Bridge only.
Tsing Yi North Bridge was, when opened in 1987, Hong Kong's largest prestressed balanced cantilever bridge with a main navigation span of 160m. The design can support a 2-way and 4-lane traffic. The balustrade on the bridge was an aluminium-type to prevent rusting, although it was changed to welded stainless steel, because of the frequent stolen cases of aluminium bars in the past decades.
On 1 February 2002, the day of the opening of Tsing Yi North Coastal Road, the North Bridge was connected and became the main path from Tsuen Wan to Tung Chung on Lantau Island and the International Airport in Chek Lap Kok.
The ferry service from Tsing Yi and Tsuen Wan was terminated by Hongkong and Yaumati Ferry, after several years of the opening of North Bridge.
Pavements are available on both side of the bridge.
The followings are Kowloon Motor Bus bus routes via the bridge:
- 41 Cheung Ching - Kowloon City Ferry
- 41M Tsing Yi Estate - Tsuen Wan MTR Station
- 41P Tsing Yi Ferry - Tsuen Wan MTR Station (Weekday and Peak Time Service Only)
- 42C Cheung Hang - Lam Tin MTR Station
- 42M Cheung Wang - Tsuen Wan (Discovery Park)
- 43B Cheung Ching - Tsuen Wan West Station
- 44 Tsing Yi Estate - Mongkok East Railway Station
- 44P Tsing Yi Ferry - MongKok East Railway Station (Weekday and Peak Time Service Only)
- 49P Sha Tin Central - Tsing Yi Ferry (Weekday and Peak Time Service Only)
- 49X Tsing Yi Ferry - Kwong Yuen
- 68A Tsing Yi AR Station - Long Ping Estate
- 234S Sham Tseng (Bellagio) - Tsing Yi AR Station (Weekday and Morning Peak Time Service Only)
- 243M Mayfair Gardens - Tsuen Wan (Discovery Park)
- 251M Tsing Yi Airport Railway Station - Kam Sheung Road Station
- "Tsing Yi North/South Bridges". The Film Services Office. Retrieved 2007-02-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tsing Yi North Bridge.|
Coordinates: The Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers June 1989: Tsing Yi North Bridge: planning and design by R A Denton-Cox and K L Weir.
The proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers June 1989: Tsing Yi North Bridge: construction by B R McKenna and G Palmer.