Tsuen Wan District
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Tsuen Wan District|
Day view of the Tsuen Wan District
Location of Tsuen Wan District within Hong Kong
|• District Council Chairman||鍾偉平 Chung Wai-ping, SBS, MH|
|• Total||60.70 km2 (23.44 sq mi)|
|• Density||5,000/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Hong Kong Time (UTC+8)|
|Website||Tsuen Wan District Council|
|Tsuen Wan District|
|Cantonese Yale||Chyùhn Wāan Kēui|
Tsuen Wan District (Chinese: 荃灣區; Cantonese Yale: Chyùhn Wāan Kēui) is one of the 18 districts of Hong Kong. It is located in the New Territories and is served by the Tsuen Wan Line of the MTR metro system. Its area is 60,7 km². Its residents, who mostly live in Tsuen Wan Town, enjoy the highest income in the New Territories.
The district was set up in 1982 covering the present-day Tsuen Wan District and Kwai Tsing District. Kwai Chung and the island of Tsing Yi were split from Tsuen Wan District in the mid-1980s, and subsequently formed a new district known as Kwai Tsing.
The Sam Tung Uk Museum is a cultural and agricultural museum and was set up in a former Hakka walled village. Behind Tsuen Wan is Shin Mun reservoir, a valley that was once home to 10 villages that grew mostly pineapples. The dam that stops the reservoir is called Po Lo Pa, lit. pineapple dam. There were once disputes and fights among the Shing Mun valley dwellers and Tsuen Wan residents during the 18th century, over the levying of taxes for pineapple sales. The reservoir valley also has a disused lead mine, where some of the residents of Tsuen Wan used to work. Behind this is Tai Mo Shan, the tallest hill in Hong Kong.
The following islands of Hong Kong are administratively part of the district:
- Cheung Sok
- Ma Wan
- Ngam Hau Shek (岩口石)
- Pun Shan Shek (半山石)
- Tang Lung Chau
- Northeastern part of Lantau Island
- Tsuen Wan Line of the MTR metro system. Tsuen Wan Station is the terminus of the line. Tai Wo Hau Station is also at Tsuen Wan District.
- West Rail Line also has a station at the coastal area of Tsuen Wan Town, named Tsuen Wan West Station.
- Disneyland Resort Line operates within the district, in the northern part of Lantau Island, consisting Sunny Bay Station and Disneyland Resort Station.
Park Island Transport Co., Ltd. operates bus services between Park Island on Ma Wan and Tsing Yi MTR Station, Park Island and Kwai Fong Metroplaza, Park Island and Hong Kong International Airport; Park Island and Tsuen Wan (close to the Tsuen Wan MTR station).
- Chinese University of Hong Kong. Traffic and Industrial Noise Problems in Tsuen Wan for Tsuen Wan District Board (Full Report). Hong Kong: Tsuen Wan Provisional District Board, 1997.
- Chow, Wing-sun, Nelson. A Study of the Values, Leisure, Behaviour and Misbehaviour of the Youth in Tsuen Wan and Kwai Chung. [Hong Kong]: The Board, 1985.
- Hong Kong. Report of the Working Group on Pollution Problems in Tsuen Wan. Hong Kong: Govt. Printer, 1988.
- Hong Kong. Report on Religious Cult Activities in Tsuen Wan & Kwai Chung. Hong Kong: The Board, 1982.
- Hong Kong. Tsuen Wan District Board. [Hong Kong]: The Board, 1981.
- Hong Kong. Survey of Chinese Historic Rural Architecture in Tsuen Wan District, New Territories, July - August, 1980. [Hong Kong: The Section, 1980.
- Hong Kong. Tsuen Wan and District Outline Development Plan. Hong Kong: Govt. Printer, 1969.
- Lam, Kin-che. Tsuen Wan Tourism Development & Promotion Strategy. [Hong Kong: Centre for Environmental Policy and Resource Management, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2002.
- Ng, Sek-hong. A Report on the Survey on the Conditions of Work for Female Workers in Tsuen Wan, 1986. [Hong Kong]: Tsuen Wan District Board, 1987.
- Tsuen Wan Arts Festival. Opening of the Third Tsuen Wan Arts Festival: Dance Drama 'Life of the Li Tribe'. Hong Kong: Govt. Printer, 1981.
- "2011 Population Census: Summary Results". Census and Statistics Department, Hong Kong Government. 2011. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "Hong Kong: Population, Area & Density by District Board District: 1999". Demographia. 2000. Retrieved 2008-08-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tsuen Wan District.|
- Tsuen Wan District Council
- List and map of electoral constituencies (large PDF file)
- Tsuen Wan New Town
Adjacent places of Tsuen Wan District
||Yuen Long District||Tai Po District|
|Tuen Mun District||Sha Tin District|
|Islands District||Kwai Tsing District|