Tsuen Wan New Town
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Overview of Tsuen Wan city centre
|• Type||District Council|
|• Chairman||Chan Iu-seng (Ind.)|
|• Vice Chairman||Chung Wai-ping|
|• Total||60.7 km2 (23.4 sq mi)|
|Tsuen Wan New Town|
Tsuen Wan New Town is a new town in Hong Kong. It spans Tsuen Wan, Kwai Chung and the eastern part of Tsing Yi Island. Traditionally, the administrative officials of Tsuen Wan managed the area of Tsuen Wan proper, Kwai Chung, Tsing Yi Island, Ma Wan and Northeast Lantau Island.
In 1982 the Tsuen Wan District was created under the District Administration Scheme. In 1985, with the explosion of population in the new town, Kwai Chung and Tsing Yi were spun off to form the new Kwai Tsing District. Thus, the town is now under two administrative districts.
Its total development area is about 24 square kilometres (9.3 sq mi). The population of the new town is approximately 801,800, with the planned capacity being 845,000.
Although Tsuen Wan New Town belongs to the New Territories, it (with Ma Wan and Northeast Lantau excluded) is also considered a part of Hong Kong metro area, like Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, the only area in New Territories classified as urban area by the Planning Department and Urban Renewal Authority. It is because the town was developed early and is not geographically separated from Kowloon by hills or mountains. Also, there are no New Territories taxis providing service in Tsuen Wan New Town except at Tsuen Wan Station and Tsing Yi Station, unlike other new towns in New Territories. In the latest official reports, Kwai Chung New Town and Tsing Yi New Town are separated from Tsuen Wan New Town.
- "Tsuen Wan New Town". Civil Engineering and Development Department. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- "Chapter 2: Residential Densities".
- "Tsuen Wan Town Centre Project". Urban Renewal Authority.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Hayes, James (1993). Tsuen Wan: growth of a 'new town' and its people. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-585166-3.
- Civil Engineering and Development Department: Tsuen Wan New Town
- New Territories Development Department: Hong Kong's New Towns: Tsuen Wan