Tsukuba International School
|Tsukuba International School|
|Kamigo 7846-1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 300-2645
|Staff||22 full time staff and 10 part time staff|
|Grades||Pre-Kindergarten (age 3) - 10th grade|
|Enrollment||160 students as of February 2016|
|Color(s)||Blue and green|
|Mascot||Xavier the Robot|
|Affiliation||Japan Council of Independent Schools (JCIS)|
Tsukuba International School (つくばインターナショナルスクール, TIS) is a private, non-profit school for English-speaking children in Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan. It was established by the foreign community in 1992 in response to the need for an English education option for foreign students in the area. The school currently includes a preschool, elementary school, middle school, and high school (pre-kindergarten to Grade 10). As of February 2016, the school had 160 students in 13 grades, with 19 full-time teachers and 8 part-time teachers.
Tsukuba International School is a member of the Japan Council of International Schools (since 1998) and is recognized as an incorporated school (学校法人) by the Ibaraki Prefecture government. In November 2011, it received authorization to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP), and in June 2014, it received authorization to offer the Middle Years Programme (MYP) of the International Baccalaureate (IB). It was the twelfth school in Japan to offer the IB PYP, the 9th to offer the IB MYP, and the 22nd IB World School in the country.
- Lee Chae-rin, the leader of 2NE1, a Korean pop (K-pop) group, attended TIS when she was in elementary school.
- Tsukuba International School website
- Tsukuba International School Facebook page
- International School Built to Serve (Article in April 11, 2009 Japan Times) (accessed April 6, 2010)
- 茨城・つくばにインターナショナルスクール開校へ (Article in May 3, 2008 Sankei News) (accessed April 6, 2010)