The cover of the first volume featuring Saki Kanda (left) and Haruhiko Takase (right) from the first chapter
|Written by||Toshiya Wakabayashi|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Magazine|
|Original run||2014 – 2018|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiraku Kaneko|
|Written by||Tatsuhiko Urahata|
|Original network||Tokyo MX, SUN, BS11|
|Original run||July 4, 2017 – September 19, 2017|
Tsuredure Children (Japanese: 徒然チルドレン Hepburn: Tsurezure Chirudoren, lit. "Tedium Children") is a Japanese four-panel web manga written and illustrated by Toshiya Wakabayashi. An anime adaptation by Studio Gokumi aired from July 4 to September 19, 2017. Funimation has licensed the series in North America.
Tsuredure Children tells various romantic stories about how it is so hard to say "I love you", between young male and female students attending the same high school, in an omnibus format. All of the stories are loosely connected to each other.
- Haruhiko Takase (高瀬 春彦 Takase Haruhiko)
- Voiced by: Kentarō Kumagai (Japanese); Stephen Sanders (English)
- Class 2-1, Haruhiko is a soccer club member who is interested in his classmate Saki Kanda and waits for her to actually confess her feelings.
- Saki Kanda (神田 沙希 Kanda Saki)
- Voiced by: Haruka Miyase (Japanese); Skyler McIntosh (English)
- Class 2-1, Saki is a member of the soft tennis club. She is in love with Haruhiko Takase and attempted to confess. She often consults with her classmate Yuki Minagawa.
- Jun Furuya (古屋 純 Furuya Jun)
- Voiced by: Kōhei Amasaki (Japanese); Dallas Reid (English)
- Class 2-1, Jun is a member of the broadcasting club. He was confessed to by his classmate Yuki Minagawa, but due to her easy going personality, he is never able to tell whether Yuki is serious. He replies Yuki confession after few months and becomes her boyfriend.
- Yuki Minagawa (皆川 由紀 Minagawa Yuki)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (Japanese); Sara Ragsdale (English)
- Class 2-1, Yuki is a member of the soft tennis club. A girl with a lot of friends with the impression of being a playgirl, Yuki confessed to her classmate Jun Furuya.
- Takurō Sugawara (菅原 卓郎 Sugawara Takurō)
- Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa (Japanese); Anthony Bowling (English)
- Class 2-4, Takurō is a member of the soccer club who is nicknamed "Sugayan". He is in love with his classmate Chizuru Takano. After helping her walk to a bus stop in the middle of a rain shower, he attempts to confess to her but backs out at the last minute.
- Chizuru Takano (高野 千鶴 Takano Chizuru)
- Voiced by: Inori Minase (Japanese); Sarah Wiedenheft (English)
- Class 2-4, Chizuru is a girl who thinks of herself as unfun and gloomy. When her classmate Takurō Sugawara helped her reach a bus station after a rain shower hit and attempted a confession, Chizuru thought that Takurō just wanted to make her feel better. Although she is unaware of his feelings, as well as her own, she is still grateful for what he did for her. She later develops feelings for Sugawara and often stares at him longingly.
- Takeru Gōda (剛田 武 Gōda Takeru)
- Voiced by: Tomoaki Maeno (Japanese); Ricco Fajardo (English)
- Class 2-4, Goda is a stoic but dense guy. He begins dating Kamine after she confesses to him, but isn't good with communicating his feelings to her and tends to create misunderstandings between them.
- Ayaka Kamine (上根 綾香 Kamine Ayaka)
- Voiced by: Yui Ogura (Japanese); Kristi Kang (English)
- Class 2-4, Kamine is an emotional and kind-hearted girl. She confesses to Goda and begins dating him, but his dense nature makes it difficult for Kamine to move their relationship forward.
- Chiaki Uchimura (内村 千秋 Uchimura Chiaki)
- Voiced by: Seiichirō Yamashita (Japanese); Kyle Igneczi (English)
- Class 2-4, Chiaki is a goofy guy that likes to joke around with Kana. He was unaware that he and Kana were dating for the past year until Kana pointed it out to him. After that, he tries to take their relationship more seriously, but comedic situations make it almost impossible for him to make any moves on Kana.
- Kana Ījima (飯島 香菜 Ījima Kana)
- Voiced by: Akari Kitō (Japanese); Alison Viktorin (English)
- Class 2-4, Kana is a goofy girl who likes to play off Chiaki's jokes, often playing the straight man in their comedy bits. She believed that she and Chiaki were dating for the past year until she realized he thought her confession was a joke. She tries to push their relationship forward, but comedic situations disrupt those plans.
- Ayane Matsuura (松浦 彩音 Matsuura Ayane)
- Voiced by: Ayumi Mano (Japanese); Alexis Tipton (English)
- Class 2-4, Ayane is a drama club member who got rejected by her crush and was comforted by Katori, much to her dismay.
- Chiyo Kurihara (栗原 ちよ Kurihara Chiyo)
- Voiced by: Ai Kakuma (Japanese); Mikaela Krantz (English)
- Class 2-1, Chiyo is a girl who often sees Yamane on the bus and became attracted to him after he helped her from being molested. She is a cooking club member.
- Takao Yamane (山根 隆夫 Yamane Takao)
- Voiced by: Hiro Shimono (Japanese); Derick Snow (English)
- Class 2-7, Yamane is an otaku with low self-confidence. After he helped Chiyo from almost being molested at a bus, she confessed to him, confusing him. He has attraction for Chiyo.
- Tomomichi Motoyama (本山 友道 Motoyama Tomomichi)
- Voiced by: Soichiro Hoshi (Japanese); Aaron Dismuke (English)
- Class 2-7, Motoyama is Yamane's otaku friend. After learning about Yamane and Chiyo's relationship, he tries to assist them with varying results.
- Kazuko Hosokawa (細川 数子 Hosokawa Kazuko)
- Voiced by: Rie Murakawa (Japanese); Michelle Rojas (English)
- Class 2-4, Kazuko is a girl who just got a broken heart when she met Katori and fell in love with him.
- Masafumi Akagi (赤木 正文 Akagi Masafumi)
- Voiced by: Kenshō Ono (Japanese); Austin Tindle (English)
- Class 3-8, Akagi is the student council president who caught Ryōko smoking on school grounds red-handed and blackmailed her into becoming his girlfriend in order to keep his mouth shut. In reality, he had been interested in her for a long time and used the smoking incident as an excuse to get closer. Despite his stuffy, serious appearance, he is a Casanova when it comes to Ryōko.
- Ryōko Kaji (梶 亮子 Kaji Ryōko)
- Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (Japanese); Felecia Angelle (English)
- Class 3-8, Ryōko is a girl who looks like a delinquent, who often distances herself from her classmates and smokes after school. Despite her appearance, Ryōko is actually an innocent tsundere and gets flustered when Akagi flirts with her.
- Shin'ichi Katori (香取 慎一 Katori Shin'ichi)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa (Japanese); Kyle Phillips (English)
- Class 3-5, Katori is a spontaneous boy who appears whenever love advice is needed. He is from class 3-5 and is the president of the drama club. Often calling himself a "Dating Master" while only giving those who need his advice hints about what to do.
- Satsuki Sasahara (笹原 さつき Sasahara Satsuki)
- Voiced by: Maaya Uchida (Japanese); Jeannie Tirado (English)
- Class 3-2, Satsuki is a pink-haired girl with twin buns and a hyperactive personality. Despite having no interest in astronomy, she joined the Astronomy Club because she had a crush on Hideki. After he graduated, Satsuki became the only member of the club.
- Hotaru Furuya (古屋 ほたる Furuya Hotaru)
- Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu (Japanese); Jad Saxton (English)
- Class 1-3, Hotaru is Jun's younger sister with a brother complex. She hates everyone who gets close to her brother, and Yuki Minagawa's easy going personality annoys her, while Yuki seems to have fun teasing her. After some time she goes easy on Yuki.
- Yūki Kaga (加賀 優樹 Kaga Yūki)
- Voiced by: Yuki Hashimoto (Japanese); Garret Storms (English)
- Class 1-6, Yūki is a first-year student who was forced to join the astronomy club by Satsuki and ended up developing feelings for her. But after he knew that Satsuki already had a boyfriend he began dating Nanase.
- Kaoru Nanase (七瀬 薫 Nanase Kaoru)
- Voiced by: Nana Inami (Japanese); Madeleine Morris (English)
- Class 1-9, Kaoru is Yūki's childhood friend who is in love with him but has tsundere tendencies. She followed him and joined the astronomy club.
- Hideki Yukawa (湯川 英樹 Yukawa Hideki)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Ono (Japanese); J. Michael Tatum (English)
- Hideki was an astronomy club member along with Satsuki. He is a serious person who doesn't seem to take Satsuki's confessions as real and easily becomes annoyed with it. Before his graduation, it turns out that he likes Satsuki's confessions all along. He is now a college student at a rural town and is in long distance relationship with Satsuki.
Wakabayashi originally started publishing the story online in 2012 without actually giving it a title; it became known simply as "Toshiya Wakabayashi's 4-koma comic collection". Afterward, it started serialization in Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine in 2015 with entirely redrawn art. So far, 11 volumes have been released. Kodansha USA has started digitally publishing an English version.
|1||August 16, 2014||ISBN 978-4-06-395168-4||ASIN B071CLRWDM|||
|2||January 9, 2015||ISBN 978-4-06-395301-5||ASIN B074HR5L9K|||
|3||June 17, 2015||ISBN 978-4-06-395426-5||ASIN B074NBBXT2|||
|4||December 17, 2015||ISBN 978-4-06-395515-6||-|||
|5||April 15, 2016||ISBN 978-4-06-395647-4||-|||
|6||August 17, 2016||ISBN 978-4-06-395735-8||-|||
|7||February 17, 2017||ISBN 978-4-06-395849-2||-|||
|8||June 16, 2017||ISBN 978-4-06-395956-7||-|||
|9||October 17, 2017||ISBN 978-4-06-510209-1||-|||
|10||November 17, 2017||ISBN 978-4-06-510391-3||-|||
|11||March 16, 2018||ISBN 978-4-06-511064-5||-|||
A TV anime adaptation was announced in February 2017. Studio Gokumi produced the anime with Hiraku Kaneko directing, series scripts is written by Tatsuhiko Urahata, and Etsuko Sumimoto is the character designer adapting Wakabayashi's original designs. The anime aired from July 4[a] to September 19, 2017 on Tokyo MX, Sun TV, and BS11. NAS produced the anime. Inori Minase performed the opening theme titled "Ai Mai Moko" (アイマイモコ) while Yui Ogura performed the ending theme titled "Dear". The anime episodes will be released as DVDs bundled with the limited edition of manga volume 9, 10, and 11, each contains 4 episodes. Crunchyroll streamed the anime. Funimation has licensed the series in North America.
|No.||Official English title[b]
|Original air date|
|July 4, 2017|
|Saki Kanda attempts to confess to Haruhiko Takase, but fails to confess properly. Yuki Minagawa confesses to Jun Furuya, but he is not sure about starting a relationship with her. The student council president Masafumi Akagi catches Ryōko Kaji smoking. He then asks her for a kiss in exchange for not reporting her, which she agrees to. Satsuki Sasahara and her senior Hideki Yukawa, astronomy club members, see the stars together for the last time before Hideki graduates.|
|July 11, 2017|
|Jun's younger sister Hotaru, who is possessive toward her brother, gets between him and Yuki. Yūki Kaga tries to find a club to join and is persuaded to join the astronomy club by Satsuki, on whom he develops a crush. Ayaka Kamine attempts to confess to Takeru Gōda, but has trouble due to Takeru's stoic and dense personality. Takurō Sugawara walks home with Chizuru Takano, but she fails to see his hints that he is interested in her.|
"Shikin Kyori Ren'ai" (至近距離恋愛)
|July 18, 2017|
|Kana Ījima thinks she and her goofy friend Chiaki Uchimura have been dating for a year, but is shocked to learn that he thought her earlier confession to him was a joke. After being rejected by her crush, Ayane Matsuura receives unwanted help from self-proclaimed "dating master" Shin'ichi Katori. Takao Yamane is nervous about going out to lunch with his crush Chiyo Kurihara as thanks for saving her from a molester. Takurō helps Chizuru clean up after school, but has a misunderstanding with her while trying to talk about his feelings.|
"Rabu Komedi" (ラブコメディ)
|July 25, 2017|
|Chiaki and Kana run into complications while trying to have sex for the first time. Ryōko confronts Masafumi about him forcing her to be his girlfriend, and Masafumi admits he has feelings for her. After dodging the issue for months, Jun becomes concerned when Yuki seems eager for an answer to her confession. Chizuru's friend Noriko Yoshinaga asks Chizuru to deliver a love letter from her to Takurō; but Takurō rejects her, saying he already has a crush on someone else.|
|5||"Watching You from Afar"|
"Tōku kara Kimi o Miteru" (遠くから君を見てる)
|August 1, 2017|
|Haruhiko and Saki attempt to confess their feelings to each other via text message, with disastrous results. Yūki invites his old friend and neighbor Kaoru Nanase to the astronomy club, but Kaoru becomes agitated with him after noticing his crush on Satsuki. She reveals she has long had a crush on Yūki herself and ends up kissing him in front of Satsuki, much to everyone's embarrassment. Ayaka wonders if Takeru really cares for her, as he seems to have grown distant since her confession.|
|6||"We Don't Need Girls"|
"Oretachi ni onna wa iranai" (俺達に女はいらない)
|August 8, 2017|
|As they study together, Ryōko asks Masafumi why he is attracted to her. Chiaki and Kana become awkward with each other while doing a comedy bit together. Chiyo makes a movie date with Takao, but Takao tries to hide this from his friend Tomomichi Motoyama. Kazuko Hosokawa is visited by Shin'ichi and ends up falling for him.|
|7||"It's All the Fever's Fault"|
"Zenbu Netsu no Sei" (全部熱のせい)
|August 15, 2017|
|Hotaru has a text conversation with Yuki on Jun's phone, which Yuki playfully goes along with. Ayaka asks Takeru to tell her that he genuinely loves her, which he finds difficult. Haruhiko wonders what to do about his recent blunder with Saki and receives some helpful advice from Shin'ichi. Chizuru struggles to understand her growing attraction to Takurō.|
"Kizu-darake no Tenshi" (傷だらけの天使)
|August 22, 2017|
|Ayaka tries to become more intimate with Takeru and ends up sharing her first kiss with him. When news of this reaches Chiaki and Kana, Kana asks why their relationship has not progressed the same way; and Chiaki ends up clumsily attempting to kiss her. Ryōko becomes incensed when Masafumi asks to fondle her in the library. Kazuko finds Shin'ichi badly bruised under a tree and seizes the chance to make a move on him.|
|August 29, 2017|
|Takurō and Chizuru repeatedly glance at each other during swim class. Haruhiko and Saki address their recent miscommunication and decide to become friends again, though each still harbors feelings for the other. Ayaka hopes Takeru will kiss her again due to her coughing during their first kiss; but Takeru is hesitant, thinking the first kiss was too forward. Jun has decided about going out with Yuki, but he becomes frustrated when she has trouble being serious with him.|
|September 5, 2017|
|Chiyo meets Takao behind the school to give him homemade pudding, and he brings Tomomichi along for support. Ayaka gets jealous when she sees Takeru with other girls; and Chiaki and Kana later see the two being openly romantic in the park, noting how much they have both changed. Chiaki invites Kana to his house in an attempt to finally kiss her, but she gets mad and breaks off their relationship when he kisses her after pretending to be drunk.|
|September 12, 2017|
|During music practice, Chizuru finds herself getting distracted and watching Takurō out the window while he plays soccer. Noriko suggests Chizuru may have a crush; and while Chizuru denies this at first, she starts to wonder when Ayaka describes her initial crush on Takeru as being similar to Chizuru's experiences. Ayaka also mentions a rumor that Takurō has a crush on Chizuru, flustering her even more. Kana has been avoiding Chiaki since breaking up with him, though he continually texts apologies to her. When he sends one last text asking if he can call Kana, her excitement causes her to drop her phone in the bathtub and short it out before she can read the text. Chiaki calls Kana anyway; and although Kana's mother briefly gets her phone working again, it dies during the call, leading Chiaki to think Kana has rejected him. Haruhiko and Saki remain nervous around each other as exams begin, but Haruhiko eases the situation when he gives Saki extra pencil lead. Ryōko struggles as she starts her college entrance exams; and Masafumi resists the urge to go help her, while her classmate Erika Shibasaki offers her reassurance.|
"Natsu ga hajimaru" (夏が始まる)
|September 19, 2017|
|The second-year boys take part in a soccer match, while their female classmates watch and cheer on their respective crushes. When the soccer ball goes flying toward Kana's head, Chiaki blocks it with his face, at which point Kana starts cheering for him as well. Several students plan a summer trip to the beach, and Takurō and Chizuru are each told that the other will be going. However, Takurō thinks going to the beach with Chizuru will make him uncomfortable, as he has given up trying to confess to her; and Chizuru is unhappy with the news that he may not be going after all. Kana sends Chiaki a text message asking to meet him after class, but Chiaki's phone battery has died and he is unable to see it. As Kana waits after school for his response, Chizuru and Noriko enter the classroom for music practice. Kana soon leaves the classroom, dismayed that Chiaki has apparently brushed her off; but she finds that Chiaki has stayed at school on his own to talk with her. He admits he had thought she would never break up with him and suggests they start their relationship fresh. He tells Kana that he seriously loves her and asks her to go out with him, and she tearfully accepts. Meanwhile, Takurō returns to the classroom to get his wallet; while Noriko leaves to use the bathroom, leaving Chizuru alone with Takurō. As Takurō starts to leave, Chizuru asks him if he is going to the beach. He answers that he is not, but that he hopes Chizuru has a lot of fun. However, Chizuru says she does not think she will have any fun without Takurō; and the two decide to go to the beach together as Noriko listens contentedly from the hallway.|
- A 15-minute long episodes.
- All English episode titles are taken from Crunchyroll.
- "Tsuredure Children 4-Panel Romance Manga Gets TV Anime This Summer". Anime News Network. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Kodansha USA to Publish DAYS, Tsuredure Children Manga Digitally". Anime News Network. April 20, 2017. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "Tsuredure Children Manga Will End in 3 Chapters". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- "Tsurezure Children TV Anime Adaptation Announced for Summer – by Studio Gokumi". Otaku Tale. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Tsuredure Children Anime Premieres on July 4". Anime News Network. June 5, 2017. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "Tsurezure Children Cast 2". Moetron. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Summer 2017 SimulDubs on FunimationNow!". Funimation. July 13, 2017.
- "Tsurezure Children Cast & Theme Songs". Moetron. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Tsuredure Children Anime's 4th Short Promo Video Previews New Cast". Anime News Network. June 21, 2017. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン". マガメガ MAGAMEGA. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（１）". 講談社コミックプラス (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（２）". 講談社コミックプラス (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（３）". 講談社コミックプラス (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（４）". 講談社コミックプラス (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（５）". 講談社コミックプラス (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（６）". 講談社コミックプラス (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（７）". 講談社コミックプラス (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（８）" (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（９）" (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（１０）" (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- "徒然チルドレン（１１）" (in Japanese). Kodansha Ltd. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- "『週刊少年マガジン』で連載中 『徒然チルドレン』今夏、TVアニメ化". ORICON NEWS (in Japanese). oricon ME inc. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "MUSIC". TVアニメ「徒然チルドレン」公式サイト (in Japanese). Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "COMIC". TVアニメ「徒然チルドレン」公式サイト (in Japanese). Retrieved 11 July 2017.
- "Crunchyroll to Simulcast Aho-Girl, Elegant Yokai Apartment Life, Netsuzou Trap, Tsuredure Children Anime". Anime News Network. July 2, 2017. Retrieved July 2, 2017.
- "Funimation to Simuldub Tsuredure Children, Convenience Store Boy Friends, Gamers!, My First Girlfriend is a Gal Anime". Anime News Network. July 13, 2017. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "STORY". TVアニメ「徒然チルドレン」公式サイト (in Japanese). Retrieved 1 July 2017.