Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh, Piyaji
|Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh, Piyaji|
|Written by||Shashi Sumeet Mittal|
Sumeet Hukamchand Mittal
|Directed by||Pushkar Mahabal |
|Starring||Rhea Sharma |
|Opening theme||Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh,Piyaji|
|Composer(s)||Amit Trivedi, Shreya Goshal|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||365|
|Editor(s)||Jay B Ghadiali|
|Running time||approx. 22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Shashi Sumeet Productions|
|Original network||Star Plus|
|Original release||3 April 2017 –|
1 June 2018
|Related shows||Diya Aur Baati Hum|
Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh, Piyaji (transl. You are the sun, I am the twilight, beloved) is an Indian television soap opera that aired on Star Plus. Produced by Shashi Sumeet Productions, the series starred Rhea Sharma and Avinesh Rekhi. It was the sequel to the series Diya Aur Baati Hum.
The series takes place twenty years after the events in Diya Aur Baati Hum and is based on the life of the children of Sooraj and Sandhya, mainly focusing on their daughter, Kanak. Her grandmother Santosh who initially hates her, thinking her to be the reason behind her parents' death, later accepts her upon realising her love for Kanak. Kanak's life takes a new turn when Uma Shankar Toshniwal, a rich, kind-hearted but superstitious man and an Ayurveda doctor by profession, forcefully marries her, believing that as a sign from Lord Shiva.
Uma is a blind believer in morals taught by his greedy and hypocrite maternal aunt. Kanak sets off on a journey with Uma to teach him the greatest moral of life – humanity – while she is criticized by Palomi and repeatedly harmed by Nanda and later, her lewd son Aditya. In the process, Kanak falls in love with Uma after establishing herself as the perfect wife for him. Soon, Uma and Kanak expose Nanda and Aditya, proving Palomi is alive.
Soon, Uma, for some unknown reason, marries Meera Mittal, the deranged daughter of a rich businessman, ditching Kanak.
Two years later
Kanak is now shown to be self-sufficient and possessing a bitter hatred towards Uma, eventually reappears in his life, who has become a successful business tycoon running the 'K & U' company in the meantime. It is revealed later on that Uma still loves Kanak and was actually blackmailed and forced into marrying Meera to save his younger cousin Suman from receiving punishment for a murder she had inadvertently committed. Meera upon knowing Kanak's identity becomes mad with jealousy and vows to destroy her life before she has a chance to reconcile with Uma and throw her out. She alongside the returning Aditya tries many heinous ways to separate the duo, including an unsuccessful attempt to marry off Kanak to a man also hell-bent on ruining her. Suman is now full of guilt and decides to sacrifice her life so that Uma and Kanak can re-unite. They manage to save her and the truth is finally unveiled before Kanak. She gets rid of her ill-feelings towards Uma and gets Meera arrested with the help of others by hatching a crafty plan. Aditya realises his mistake and has a change of heart, becoming loyal to his brother. Kanak and Uma settle their differences and restores their relationship once again. It is then that Nanda comes out of jail.
After Saras suffering an unfortunate miscarriage on account of failing to reach the medical facility on time, and seeing Uma's grief over the matter, Kanak and Aditya launch a bike ambulance service. This creates a number of enemies for Uma and Kanak from the very outset, and Dr. Parag, the corrupt Dean of Pratistha Medical College, joins hands with Nanda to cancel Uma's license so that he can use the idea to promote his own medical college and take the credit totally upon himself. Kanak decides to study paramedics and become a doctor herself to save the license from being cancelled and so that no one can label her as an amateur when she treats patients. After facing numerous hurdles and hindrances in Dr. Parag's college set by the Dean himself in order to crush her dream, she finally succeeds in revealing Dr. Parag's true nature in front of the public and manages to get him behind bars. It is revealed at this point that Nanda was ill-treated by Dr. Parag while in jail, and she was planning for revenge ever since she got out of jail. She afterwards stops plotting against Uma and Kanak.
Uma at this time receives a fake call and is attacked by goons, who also trash his bike ambulance. He recovers a few months later, but loses his memory; to everyone's surprise, he turns into the same superstitious person he was before. He urges Kanak to either choose him or pursue her paramedics course. Kanak ultimately chooses to continue her dream of becoming a doctor. Uma supports her decision, and Aditya then reveals that it was Uma's plan all along to infuse some confidence and passion into Kanak, which she was lacking hitherto, and also that he had never lost his memory. With this, the story finally ends on a happy note as Kanak sets off for her new career with the blessings of all the elders.
- Rhea Sharma as Kanak Toshniwal-Uma’s wife, Sandhya and Sooraj’s daughter, Ved and Vansh's younger sister. (2017–2018)
- Avinesh Rekhi as Uma Toshniwal-Kanak's husband, Saraswati's brother and Meera’s ex husband. (2017–2018)
- Mayank Arora as IPS Ved Sooraj Rathi-Sandhya and Sooraj's son, Vansh and Kanak's brother, Payal's husband.(2017–2018)
- Shefali Singh Soni as Payal Ved Rathi-Ved's wife; Aditya’s ex wife. (2017–2018)
- Kabeer Kumar as Vansh Sooraj Rathi-Sandhya and Sooraj’s son, Kanak and Ved's brother, Saraswati’s husband. (2017–2018)
- Swati Kapoor as Saraswati Vansh Rathi(nee Toshniwal)-Uma's younger sister, Vansh's wife. (2017–2018)
- Ashok Lokhande as Arun Rathi (Bhabasa) – Sooraj, Vikram, Mohit and Chavi's father; Santosh's husband. (2017–2018)
- Neelu Vaghela as Santosh Rathi (Bhabho)–Sooraj, Vikram, Mohit, Chavi's mother; Arun's wife. (2017–18)
- Uday Nene as Golu Rathi – Kanak, Ved and Vansh's elder cousin, Mishri's younger brother, Vikram and Meena's son. (2017)
- Sheetal Pandya as Rani Golu Rathi – Golu's wife and Rathi family's ex-maidservant. (2017–2018)
- Rajeev Singh as Vikram Arun Rathi – Sooraj's younger brother, Santosh and Arun's son, Meena's husband, Mishri and Golu's father.(2017)
- Kanika Maheshwari as Meenakshi Vikram Rathi – Vikram's wife, Mishri and Golu's mother.(2017)
- Unknown as Pavan Rathi – Mishri's illegitimate son. (2017)
- Aditya Pandey as Purab Rathi – Kanak's cousin, Emily's son (2018)
- Sadiya Siddiqui as Nanda Modani – Uma's maternal aunt, Aditya's mother. (2017–2018)
- Ayush Anand as Aditya Modani – Nanda's son, Uma's cousin, Payal's ex-husband.(2017–2018)
- Madhura Naik as Palomi – A girl who was favoured by Nanda for Uma who lives as a domestic help of the toshniwals. (2017–2018)
- Hearty Singh as Shiv Toshniwal –Uma's younger cousin and Suman's younger brother. (2017–2018)
- Mazel Vyas as Suman Toshniwal – Uma's younger cousin and Shiv's elder sister. (2017–2018)
- Unknown as Kaushalya Toshniwal – Uma and Saraswati's mother and Nanda's elder sister. (2017–2018)
- Madhvendra Jha as Gabbasa/Gagendra Singh – Uma's household servant. (2017–2018)
- Vikas Grover as Arvind – Kanak's friend. (2017)
- Urmila Sharma as Daisa – Rathi family's neighbour. (2017)
- Hetal Yadav as Payal's mother.(2017–2018)
- Rajiv Kumar as Payal's father. (2017)
- Kangna Sharma as Meera Mittal – Uma's second/divorced wife. (2018)
- Amit Singh Thakur as Yash Mittal – Meera's father. (2018)
- Maqbool Khan as Sumer Singh. (2018)
- Ankit Bathla as Akshay Khanna – Meera's partner, Arpita's younger brother and Kanak's ex-fiancé. (2018)
- Rishina Kandhari as Arpita Khanna – Akshay's elder sister, formerly an IPS officer then a politician. (2017–2018)
- Abhaas Mehta as Dr. Parag Bansal – Dean of Pratistha Medical College. (2018)
- Sanjai Gandhi as Divya Prakash – Dr. Parag's elder brother. (2018)
- Honey Singh as Tiara – Kanak's classmate in the Pratistha Medical College, Aditya's love interest. (2018)
- Aanchal Khurana as Madhavi – Kanak's professor at Pratistha Medical college. (2018)
- Rekha Choudhary as Surbhi. (2018)
- Anas Rashid as Sooraj Rathi – Ved, Vansh and Kanak's father; Appeared in a dream sequence to motivate Kanak and also in flashbacks.(2017)
- Deepika Singh as Sandhya Rathi – Ved, Vansh and Kanak's mother ( appeared in flashbacks only from Diya Aur Baati Hum).(2017)
- Gagan Malik as Bal Brahmachari. (2017)
This sequel of Diya Aur Baati Hum was planned before it going off air itself. Neelu Vaghela, Ashok Lokhande, Kanika Maheshwari, Urmila Sharma and Rishina Kandhari reprised their roles from Diya Aur Baati Hum.
- "Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh, Piyaji first promo out".
- "We make a great team, says Rhea Sharma". Deccan Chronicle.
- "'Diya Aur Baati Hum' sequel to be titled 'Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh Piyaji'". The Times of India. 20 February 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "#StarPlusDopahar: Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh Piyaji Hits The Television Screens Today!". FilmiBeat. 3 April 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- "Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh Piyaji To Replace Saath Nibhana Saathiya; Devoleena Undergoes Backbone Surgery". 28 June 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Rhea Sharma on playing Kanak in Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh, Piyaji". indianexpress.com.
- "Vadodara school girl Mazel Vyas finds a slot in Diya Aur Baati Hum sequel". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- "Anas Rashid, a.k.a. Sooraj, to return to Diya Aur Baati Hum sequel, Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh Piyaji". Hindustan Times. 17 May 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Diya Aur Baati Hum to return with season 2?". Times of India.
- "Kanika Maheshwari Begins Shooting For Diya Aur Baati Hum Season 2; The Show To Replace Naamkaran?".
- "Rishina Kandhari to enter 'Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh Piyaji'". Times of India.
- "Diya Aur Baati Hum sequel: Show takes 20-year leap, titled Tu Sooraj Mai Saanjh Piya Ji". Indian Express.
- "Rajasthan offers a complete package for TV shows: Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh Piyaji actors in Jaipur". Times of India.
- "New serial Agni Sakshi to go on air on Star Maa from Dec 7 2017". Times of India.
- "Remake soap operas rule Kannada television". Times of India.
- "Vijay TV to launch new fiction 'Siva Manasula Sakthi' from Jan 21".