|Theme music composer||Brad Fiedel|
|Opening theme||Brad Fiedel|
|Ending theme||Brad Fiedel|
|Composer(s)||Brad Fiedel (unaired pilot, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, 1.12)|
Shirley Walker (1.6)
J.A.C. Redford (1.7)
George Kahn (co-composer on episodes 1.11, 1.12)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12 (pilot not aired)|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hill/Mandelker Films|
|Original release||October 6, 1982 –|
June 9, 1983
Tucker's Witch is a comedy-detective series that aired on CBS television from October 6, 1982, to November 10, 1982, and again sporadically from March 31 to June 9, 1983. It starred Tim Matheson and Catherine Hicks as a charming married couple, Rick and Amanda Tucker, who own and operate their private detective agency in Laurel Canyon in Los Angeles. Amanda possesses psychic powers, which is an asset in solving cases but also tends to get the pair into various troubles.
The show's pilot was originally filmed in early 1982 as The Good Witch of Laurel Canyon, and starred Art Hindle and Kim Cattrall. In May 1982, CBS announced the series had been picked up with that title and cast.
However, over the summer of 1982 the film Porky's debuted in the United States. The film contained a notably racy scene with Cattrall, and received negative critical attention overall, despite its box office success. CBS suddenly demanded that Cattrall be let go from the series, and that the pilot be reshot with a new female lead. Catherine Hicks replaced Kim Cattrall, and in fact the whole cast and even the show's title changed: Tim Matheson came in for Art Hindle (Hindle had also played a small role in Porky's), and the show was retitled Tucker's Witch. The original pilot was never aired.
Tucker's Witch aired at 10 p.m. Eastern on Wednesdays in its first run, and proved unable to compete with ABC's Dynasty and NBC's Quincy, M.E.. The show was placed on hiatus after six episodes had aired; months later, it was brought back to burn off the remaining episodes. The program was switched to Thursday for the second half of its run.
The show was produced by Hill-Mandelker Films.
- Tim Matheson as Rick Tucker
- Catherine Hicks as Amanda Tucker
- Bill Morey as Lt. Sean Fisk
- Alfre Woodard as Marcia Fulbright
- Barbara Barrie as Ellen Hobbes
US TV Ratings
|Season||Episodes||Start Date||End Date||Nielsen Rank||Nielsen Rating||Tied With|
|1982-83||12||October 6, 1982||June 9, 1983||78||N/A||N/A|
Ted Danson played an elevator killer in the 1982 premiere episode during the same season he began playing bartender Sam Malone on Cheers. Danson first was seen as Sam Malone on the September 30th premiere episode of Cheers and then seen on Tucker's Witch on October 6, six days later. The better known guest stars in Tucker's Witch included Barry Corbin, Simon Oakland, Ted Danson, Joe Penny, and Noble Willingham.
|1||The Good Witch of Laurel Canyon||October 6|
|2||Big Mouth||October 13|
|3||The Corpse Who Knew Too Much||October 20|
|4||The Curse of the Toltec Death Mask||October 27|
|5||Terminal Case||November 3|
|7||Dye Job||March 31|
|8||Psyche Out||April 7|
|9||Rock Is a Hard Place||April 14|
|10||Formula for Revenge||April 28|
|11||Living and Presumed Dead||May 5|
|12||Murder Is the Key||June 9|
The entire series, including the unaired first pilot, is available for purchase through the Amazon Prime streaming service.
- "Tucker's Witch, plot summary". IMDB.com. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- https://news.google.com/archivesearch?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tab=wn&q=In+1982,+she+was+in+the+pilot+for+a+detective+drama,+%22+Tucker%27s+Witch+.%22+CBS+recast+the. Retrieved October 31, 2008. Missing or empty
- Jicha, Tom (September 21, 2003). "Long before Sex and the City, Cattrall was the victim of one of the most childish episodes in TV history. In the spring of 1982, she was cast to star in a CBS fall series called The Good Witch of Laurel Canyon. That summer Porky's featured Cattrall's racy scene in the gym. Nowadays, a network would do contortions to get a star like that on the air. Back then, the CBS brass ordered the series reshot with a new female lead, which turned out to be Catherine Hicks. It also was retitled Tucker's Witch. The show quickly cratered". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. p. 42.
- 1982-1983 American network television schedule
- [dead link]
- Lina. "The TV Ratings Guide: 1982-83 Ratings History -- Soap Bubbles Rise, Several Veterans Part and NBC Renews Poorly Rated Masterpieces". Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- [dead link]
- https://news.google.com/archivesearch?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tab=wn&q=CBS%27+Tucker%27s+Witch+series+during+the+same+season+he+began+pl+aying+bartender+Sam+Malone+on+Cheers. Retrieved October 31, 2008. Missing or empty
- https://news.google.com/archivesearch?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tab=wn&q=He+was+first+seen+as+Sam+Malone+on+the+Sept.+30+premiere+episode+of+Cheers.+Six+days+later,+on+Oct.+6,+he+had+his+ups+and+downs+on+the+first+Tucker%27s+Witch+. Retrieved October 31, 2008. Missing or empty
- "Tucker's Witch Episodes listing". IMDB.com. Retrieved 2015-07-29.