Tucson Sugar Skulls
This article's lead section may be too long for the length of the article. (September 2018)
|Tucson Sugar Skulls|
Play in Tucson Convention Center
in Tucson, Arizona
|Indoor Football League (2019–present)|
|Team colors||Black, gold, red|
|General manager||Dixie Wooten|
|Head coach||Dixie Wooten|
|League championships (0)|
|Conference championships (0)|
|Division championships (0)|
|Playoff appearances (1)|
The Tucson Sugar Skulls are a professional indoor American football team based in Tucson, Arizona. They are members of the Indoor Football League (IFL) since the 2019 season as an expansion team. They play home games at Tucson Convention Center's Tucson Arena. The team are led by owners Kevin & Cathy Guy and Ali Farhang. Kevin Guy also serves as head coach and general manager of the Arizona Rattlers of the IFL.
The franchise was announced at an official press conference that was held on August 23, 2018, at the Tucson Convention Center. The team announced Marcus Coleman as its first head coach on September 12, 2018. The team name was revealed on September 20, 2018, after a name-the-team contest originating from the local tradition of creating sugar skulls for Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) and the Roman Catholic holiday of All Souls Day.
The team qualified for the playoffs in their first season with a 7–7 record. They lost to the eventual league champion Sioux Falls Storm 50–47 in the first round. After the season, the Sugar Skulls hired two-time IFL coach of the year Dixie Wooten away from the Iowa Barnstormers as head coach and general manager for the 2020 season.
|Tucson Sugar Skulls roster|
|Tucson Sugar Skulls staff|
- "Jay Gonzales named Sugar Skulls President". Sugar Skulls. July 24, 2019.
- "Tucson Indoor Football". Facebook.com. August 23, 2018.
- Richard Obert (August 23, 2018). "Tucson joins Indoor Football League with Rattlers coach Kevin Guy and wife as co-owners". azcentral.com.
- "Tucson's Indoor Football League team has its first coach — and he's a reigning champion". Tucson.com. September 12, 2018.
- Ryan Finlay (September 20, 2018). "Sweet: Tucson's new Indoor Football League team picks a name with local significance". tucson.com.
- "Sugar Skulls Hire Championship Coach". OurSports Central. September 18, 2019.