St Barnabas' church
|Population||5,889 (2011, ward)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Tuffley is one of the 15 wards of the English city of Gloucester. The ward, which is non-parished and situated near Robinswood Hill toward the south of the city, has services including schools, shops and a park.
Tuffley is a suburb of Gloucester, in the county of Gloucestershire. Recorded as Tuffley, Tufley, Tufly, Tuffel, Tuffill and possibly others, this suburb was once a village mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as 'Tuffelege', which suggests a meaning of Tuffa's farm, with Tuffa being an Anglo-Saxon personal name. To this was added the suffix 'leah,' meaning a fenced enclosure or farm.
Poverty and crime
Four local churches have a base in Tuffley. St George's (Church of England) is in Grange Road, Lower Tuffley and St Barnabas (Church of England) is on Stroud Road. The tower of St Barnabas is a local landmark. English Martyrs (Roman Catholic) is on Tuffley Lane. The Grange Baptist Church is also on Grange Road.
Amenities and transport
There are two pubs in the Tuffley area, the Pike and Musket and the Fox and Elm. There are 2 libraries, a community centre, a sports centre, and a shopping centre.
Tuffley Rovers F.C., a football team based in the ward, plays at Glevum Park in Gloucester and operates four adult sides. Their best result in the FA Cup was a 2nd qualifying round defeat in 1999–2000 to Lymington & New Milton, while they reached the 2nd round in the FA Vase in the 1994–95 season.
- "Ward population 2011". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Surname Database: Tuffley Last Name Origin". The Internet Surname Database.
- "The Early History of Quedgeley". Quedgeley News.
- "BBC News - Gloucester pub 'machete' attack prompts murder probe". BBC News. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "£3.5m fleet of gold buses hit road in Gloucestershire". South West Business. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Tuffley Rovers at the Football Club History Database
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tuffley.|