|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|1,720,000 (2001 census)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Dravidians · Kannadigas · Malayalis · Kodavas · Konkanis · Kodagu Gowda • Tamils|
The Tulu people, or Tuluva (plural Tuluver), are an ethnolinguistic group native to the Tulu Nadu region of India, presently divided amongst the Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts of Karnataka and the Kasaragod taluk. They are the native speakers of the Tulu language. There is a sizable emigrant Tuluva population in Mumbai, the Middle East, and in several countries of the English-speaking world.
The majority of Tuluvas are Hindus who are subdivided into various communities namely Billava, Bunts, Mogaveera, Kulala, Devadiga, Tuluva Hebbars,Vishwakarma, Ganiga, Jogi, Shivalli Brahmins, Sthanika Brahmins, Sapalyas, Ghatty, Shettigar, Padmashali and others.Many Tuluvas have settled in Mumbai where they have excelled in various fields from banking to Bollywood.
Tuluvas follow the Aliyasantana system, where inheritance is from uncle to nephew, except for Brahmins, Vishwakarmas and the Parivara bunt subdivision of bunts. Other distinctive features include the rituals of Bhuta Kola, Aati kalenja, Nagaradhane and Yakshagana etc. Tuluva New Year is called Bisu parba, which falls on the same day as Baisakhi, Vishu and the Thai New Year.
Demand for Tulu Nadu
From India's independence and following the reorganization of states, the Tuluvas have been demanding national language status for Tulu and a separate state for themselves called Tulu Nadu (Land of Tuluvas), based on their language and distinct culture. Though somewhat subdued for a while, this demand has grown stronger in recent years. Several organizations like the Tulu Rajya Horata Samiti have taken up the cause of the Tuluvas, and frequent meetings and demonstrations are held across towns in Tulunadu (like Mangalore, Udupi etc.) to voice their demands.
- "Tulu". ethnologue.com.
- Tulu community
- Tulu Nadu, Kasaragod, Kerala, India | Kerala Tourism
- "Welcome". www.tulukootakuwait.org. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Dubai : Committee for 'world Tulu Ayono' formed - Frank Fernandes president". www.daijiworld.com. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Demand in RS for official status to Tulu, Kodava languages". dnaindia.com.
- Tulu Rajya Horata Samithi has urged that the region comprising Tulu speaking people should be given the status of a separate state."News headlines". daijiworld.com.
- Now the time has come for all Tulu natives to pressurize the union government with the demand for a separate Tulunadu state”, said renowned Tulu litterateur and Yakshagana artiste Kudyady Vishwanath Rai."Beltangady: Litterateur Kudyady Vishwanath Rai Voices Need for Tulunadu State". daijiworld.com.
- "Vedike demands separate Tulunadu State". The Hindu.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tulu people.|