The Windows 8 TuneIn Radio app
|Available in||22 languages|
TuneIn In is an American audio streaming service delivering live news, radio, sports, music, and podcasts to over 60 million monthly active users. As of 2019, TuneIn has more than 75 million monthly active users.
TuneIn is operated by company TuneIn Inc which is based in San Francisco, California. The company was founded by Bill Moore in 2002 as RadioTime in Dallas, Texas. Users can listen to radio on the TuneIn website, use a mobile app, smart speaker or another supported device. As of 2016[update], TuneIn was also available on more than 55 vehicle models. In 2013, the company raised more than $47 million in venture funding from Institutional Venture Partners, Sequoia Capital, GV, General Catalyst Partners, and Icon Ventures.
In 2017, the company raised $50 million and was valued at $500 million.
As of 2019, TuneIn's website and apps allows users to listen to more than 100,000 radio stations from around the world including AM, FM, HD, LP, digital and internet stations, and stream more than four million podcasts. TuneIn's directory lists various sports, news, talk, and music broadcasts from around the world. TuneIn's website is available in 22 languages, each with its own content tailored for the specific language or region. TuneIn also offers 5.7 million on-demand programs.
In August 2015, TuneIn launched a premium service, “TuneIn Radio Pro", that includes audiobooks, sports content from MLB, NFL, NBA, news content from MSNBC, Al Jazeera, and more. Subscribers can record anything played through the TuneIn service, although the recordings cannot be played on other devices.
In March 2018, TuneIn launched another premium live audio subscription called "TuneIn Live," which offers play-by-play calls from thousands of live sporting events, plus access to premium news stations, talks shows and other content. The company launched the subscription-based radio service exclusively for Alexa-enabled speakers and subscribers can prompt Alexa to stream news programs as well as play-by-play broadcasts of MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL games. TuneIn Live marked the first time TuneIn premium content was available over a voice platform.
In October 2018, the company launched a commercial-free news offering through TuneIn Premium, which included new programs from such as CNBC, FOX News Talk, and MSNBC, as well as news podcasts from Progressive Voices, The Economist, and The Wall Street Journal.
The service has more than 100,000 broadcast radio stations and four million on-demand programs and podcasts from around the world. TuneIn has deals with various broadcasters of sports, news, talk, and music worldwide like ESPN Radio, NPR, Public Radio International (PRI), CBC / Radio-Canada, C-SPAN Radio, All India Radio, AIR FM Gold, Emmis Communications, Hearst Radio, Radio One, mvyradio, Wu-Tang Radio (Wu World Radio), ABC Radio and Regional Content (Australia), Bonneville International, Sport Your Argument, talkSPORT, and Westwood One Podcast Network.
On June 25, 2018, Entercom announced that it would move online streaming of its stations exclusively to its in-house Radio.com platform, with legacy stations removed July 6, and former CBS Radio stations were removed on August 1. In turn, Cumulus Media joined the TuneIn platform on August 9, 2018.
In May 2018, the company announced it would exclusively stream concerts from several summer music festivals including Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival in San Francisco, the Newport Jazz Festival in Newport, RI, the Hangout Fest in Gulf Shores, Alabama, the Firefly Music Festival in Dover, Delaware and the Newport Folk Festival.
Two months later Cathleen Robertson, better known as DJ Carisma of KRRL, joined TuneIn to head Hip-Hop/R&B curation and artist relations initiatives. During the winter of 2018, the company announced that John Legend and several other top musicians would take over its “Holiday Hits” station during the season.
In August 2015, TuneIn announced deals with MLB and Premier League and the Bundesliga for live play-by-play coverage. This also includes the ability to cover the minor league affiliates. In October 2015, NFL announced a deal with TuneIn to broadcast live, play-by-play coverage of all NFL games to its premium subscribers.
On December 22, 2015, the National Hockey League (NHL) announced that TuneIn would gain radio rights to the NHL. TuneIn would create an individual station for every NHL team to simulcast their home market broadcasts on. Additionally, TuneIn would create a replay channel for each team so fans could listen to the games archived. They would also create a 24/7 NHL Channel, and the NHL would embed TuneIn's player onto the NHL.com website. All TuneIn NHL items would be made available to the public for free. The first broadcasts for TuneIn began Jan. 1, 2016.
On February 15, 2019 the Oakland Athletics of Major League Baseball announced that TuneIn would be launching a 24/7 exclusive A's station which would include free streaming of all A's games within the team's market as well as exclusive team programming.
In August 2015, the service launched deals with book publishers including Penguin Random House and HarperCollins to provide an audiobook library. In December 2017, TuneIn announced that it would remove audiobooks as of January 15, 2018.
In October 2018, TuneIn partnered with MSNBC to exclusively represent the sales rights of podcast, Bag Man: A Rachel Maddow Original Podcast. The also company partnered with Adobe Advertising Cloud in June 2018 to integrate targeted audio ads to consumers via smart speakers.
The company revealed it generated more than half a billion hours of listening during December 2018 and that overall listening hours rose 31% year-over-year. Also, they shared that its partnerships with third-party devices and apps increased unique listeners by more than 40%.
- Tune In Radio on the App Store
- Tune In Radio PRO on the App Store
- Tune In Radio at the BlackBerry World
- Tune In Radio PRO at the BlackBerry World
- Roy Martin. Sony deal agreed for TuneIn streaming app, radiotoday.ie, 2013.
- TuneIn App on Xbox Live | TuneIn on Xbox, Xbox Support, 2015.
- "TuneIn Radio app for the Xbox One offers access to 100,000 streaming radio stations". Windows Central. 2015-06-23. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- Koetsier, John. "Oh, yeah, Ouya gets (even more) media: XBMC and TuneIn". VentureBeat, 2012.,
- "App Gallery - Welcome to mysqueezebox.com!". www.mysqueezebox.com.
- "Radio Time Powers Logitech Squeezebox- Technology News, Firstpost". Tech2. Retrieved 2018-06-24.
- "Music Streaming Apps and Devices for Multi Room Streaming Audio - HEOS By Denon". usa.denon.com.
- "TuneIn Radio comes to Ford SYNC AppLink, brings 50,000 radio stations with it". engadget.com.
- "Burden, Melissa. "GM pairing its MyLink Radio with TuneIn app on Spark, Sonic RS." Detroit News, 2012". detroitnews.com.
- "TuneIn Offers Streaming Online Radio (Including World Radio) in Vehicles, Serving Up Alternative to Pandora or SiriusXM". caranddriver.com.
- Kim, Ryan (10 January 2012). "TuneIn Radio takes its streaming act on the road". gigaom.com.
- "2012 JVC receivers feature App Link for iPhone". cnet.com. 12 January 2012.
- "Parrot ASTEROID Updated with Added Support for Steering Wheel and more". ubergizmo.com.
- "Clarion Next Gate brings iPhone apps (and distractions) to your windshield". engadget.com.
- McIntyre, Hugh. "TuneIn Announces New Premium Tier, Complete With Audiobooks And Sports". forbes.com.
- "Online Radio Service TuneIn Comes To Tesla's Model S, Now Available On 200 Platforms". techcrunch.com.
- "Strauss, Karsten. "TuneIn Snags $25 Million In Funding, Looks To Grow". Forbes, 2013". forbes.com.
- Shaw, Lucas. "TuneIn Raises $50 Million to Prove Online Audio Can Make Money". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "Music streaming services hit a high note". usatoday.com.
- Roettgers, Janko (25 August 2015). "TuneIn Introduces Paid Tier With MLB Matches, Audio Books to Take On Satellite Radio". variety.com.
- Martonik, Andrew (2014-07-29). "TuneIn Radio Pro price jumps from $3.99 to $9.99". Android Central. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- Liu, Gia. "TuneIn creates a premium radio service for sports-minded Alexa users".
- Crist, Ry. "TuneIn takes Alexa out to the ballgame with premium radio". CNET. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "TuneIn launches a discounted audio subscription for Alexa owners and Prime members". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- "TuneIn's Revamp Makes Streaming Audio More Social". Time.
- Schmitt, Michael (December 20, 2012). "TuneIn partners with ESPN Audio in time for live streaming coverage of college football Bowl games". RAIN. Archived from the original on August 14, 2013.
- Andrews, Robert (August 29, 2012). "Interview: TuneIn CEO plans radio ad pre-rolls, personalization". paidContent.
- Maloney, Paul (June 28, 2012). "TuneIn adds Entercom, Cox, Emmis stations to tuning service". RAIN. Archived from the original on July 4, 2012.
- "TuneIn Forms Alliances With Over 20 Broadcasters". Radio Online. 2012.
- Marcucci, Carl (September 19, 2012). "TuneIn signs Bonneville". RBR.com.
- Venta, Lance (August 9, 2018). "TuneIn Announces Addition Of Cumulus Media Stations To Its App". RadioInsight. RadioBB Networks. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- "TuneIn Tune Out For Entercom: Radio.com Gets Exclusive". Radio & Television Business Report. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- "Margo Price, Live In Concert Newport Folk 2018". NPR.org. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "Festival Radio Stations Playing On TuneIn". Inside Radio.
- Washenko, Anna (2018-07-05). "TuneIn hires new head of hip-hop/R&B". RAIN News. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- Sanchez, Daniel (2018-06-28). "Latest Industry: ¡Viva Latino!, Sony Music, Prince, Sony/ATV, Viagogo, SoundCloud, LANDR, More..." Digital Music News. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "Are you ready for some football? TuneIn Premium adds NFL games to subscription". digitaltrends.com. 12 October 2015.
- "NFL Games, Including The Super Bowl, Come To TuneIn". techcrunch.com.
- "TuneIn Partners with National Hockey League® to Bring Content to TuneIn for Free" (Press release). PR Newswire. 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "A's announce new radio partnerships for upcoming season". The Mercury News. 2019-02-15. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- Dillet, Romain. "TuneIn Launches TuneIn Premium With Ad-Free Radio, Audiobooks, MLB Games". TechCrunch, 2015.
- "TuneIn Premium will stop offering audiobooks on January 15". androidcentral.com. 22 December 2017.
- Ink, Radio (2018-10-24). "Maddow's "Bag Man" Coming To TuneIn October 30". Radio Ink. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "Adobe Advertising Cloud Teams With TuneIn To Prove Targeted Audio Ads Via Smart Speakers Is Scalable". 2018-07-02. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- "TuneIn Gets Into Golf Carts In Deal With Greg Norman's 'Shark Experience'". All Access. Retrieved 2019-04-15.