Tung Chung West station
|Future MTR rapid transit station|
(Approved, construction begins 2023)
Islands District, Hong Kong
|Owned by||MTR Corporation|
|Operated by||MTR Corporation|
|Website||Tung Chung Line Extension|
|2020||Planning and design commences|
|2021||Project gazetted under the Railways Ordinance (amendments in 2022)|
|2022||Environmental permit approved|
|2023||Expected commencement of construction|
|2030||Expected completion of construction|
Tung Chung West (Chinese: 東涌西) is the proposed MTR terminus station of the Tung Chung line, west of Tung Chung, Lantau Island, New Territories, Hong Kong, which would follow on from Tung Chung station. When Yat Tung Estate (Trad. Chinese: 逸東邨) in Tung Chung West was constructed, the MTR Corporation and the Hong Kong SAR Government reserved a site to build the station. Due to insufficient population there, the station has so far not been constructed. If the station does open, it would replace Airport station as the westernmost railway station in Hong Kong.
In 2013, Tung Chung West Extension was mentioned in the review and update of the Railway Development Strategy 2000, after the government launched the "Tung Chung New Town Extension Study" in 2012 to further expand and develop Tung Chung New Town. The updated strategy, released in September 2014 as the Railway Development Strategy 2014 (RDS-2014), confirms that planning is indeed underway to build the Tung Chung West extension, and that the projected cost is $6 billion. An "implementation window" of 2020 to 2024 was noted.
- "Tung Chung Line Extension gazette" (Press release). The Government of Hong Kong SAR. 10 December 2021. Retrieved 9 August 2022.
- "Amendments to Tung Chung Line Extension gazetted" (Press release). The Government of Hong Kong SAR. 24 June 2022. Retrieved 9 August 2022.
- "Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Ordinance, Cap. 499. Application for Approval of EIA Report. Project Title: Tung Chung Line Extension (Application No.: EIA-277/2021)" (PDF). Environmental Protection Department, The Government of Hong Kong SAR. 12 July 2022. Retrieved 9 August 2022.
- Transport services for residents of Yat Tung Estate in Tung Chung
- Our Future Railway
- "Railway Development Strategy 2014" (PDF). Transport and Housing Bureau. September 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 June 2018. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- Wong, Matthew L.P. (24 November 2014). "Submission expressing views on the Railway Development Strategy 2014 from Kwoon Chung Bus Holdings Limited" (PDF). Legislative Council.