Robert Gruenenwald, better known as Tunnel Bob is a resident of Madison, Wisconsin who allegedly lives in the steam tunnels under the University of Wisconsin–Madison.  He says that he has been exploring the tunnels since the 1970s. He has asked for permission to volunteer to help maintain the tunnels but has been denied.  Bob denies sleeping in the tunnels due to danger, stating that "you might wake up dead".  He has been cited and fined multiple times for "unauthorized presence".
Tunnel Bob was the inspiration for The Kingkiller Chronicle character Auri. Author Patrick Rothfuss was a resident of Madison, and his father told him stories of Tunnel Bob. According to Rothfuss, Rothfuss' father gave Tunnel Bob permission to work in the tunnels for three hours a week, which was used as part of the persona of Auri: "Well, the first hour I walks around a bit, and the second hour I cleans up some, and the third hour, well, that’s just for me."
- Godfrey, Linda S. (10 November 2017). "Strange Wisconsin: More Badger State Weirdness". Big Earth Publishing – via Google Books.
- "Legends say he lurks beneath our feet: exploring UW's underground labyrinth".
- Godfrey, Linda S. (10 November 2017). "Haunted Wisconsin: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Badger State". Stackpole Books – via Google Books.
- "Secrets of the UW". 5 September 2008.
- Dan Simmons, Wisconsin State Journal. "On Campus: Badger Herald goes under with 'Tunnel Bob'".
- George Hesselberg, Wisconsin State Journal. "Walking on UW-Madison campus? Look down — you might spot Tunnel Bob".
- Galaxy, Geek's Guide to the. "Best-Selling Author Warns 'You Might Not Want to Buy' His Book".
- "Interview: Patrick Rothfuss - Lightspeed Magazine". 10 March 2015.
|This Wisconsin biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|