Tununguá

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Tununguá
Municipality and town
Flag of Tununguá
Flag
Location of the municipality and town of Tununguá in the Boyacá Department of Colombia
Location of the municipality and town of Tununguá in the Boyacá Department of Colombia
Country  Colombia
Department Boyacá Department
Province Western Boyacá Province
Founded 30 November 1962
Government
 • Mayor José del Carmen Barrera
(2016-2019)
Area
 • Municipality and town 77 km2 (30 sq mi)
Elevation 1,246 m (4,088 ft)
Population (2015)
 • Municipality and town 1,840
 • Density 24/km2 (62/sq mi)
 • Urban 379
Time zone Colombia Standard Time (UTC-5)
Website Official website

Tununguá is a town and municipality in Boyacá Department, Colombia, part of the subregion of the Western Boyacá Province. Tununguá is situated in the Eastern Ranges of the Colombian Andes at a relatively low altitude of 1,246 metres (4,088 ft). The municipality borders the department of Santander in the north and east and the Boyacá municipalities Pauna (south and west) and Briceño (south).[1]

History[edit]

Tununguá is located in the valley of Chiquinquirá, a town 53 kilometres (33 mi) to the east and the area was inhabited before the Spanish conquest by the Muisca (east) and Muzo.

Tununguá is named after cacique Tununguá, who was said to be a descendant of the children of Fura and Tena, from the Muzo myth Furatena.[1][2][3]

Tununguá formed a larger municipality with neighbouring Briceño and was properly founded on November 30, 1962.[1]

Economy[edit]

Around 85% of the economy of Tununguá comes from agriculture; main products coffee, guayaba, bananas, yuca, oranges, mandarines, lemon and others at smaller scale such as guanábana, peanuts and cacao. The remaining 15% comes from livestock farming.[1]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b c d (Spanish) Official website Tununguá
  2. ^ (Spanish) Etymology Tununguá
  3. ^ (Spanish) Etymology Municipalities Boyacá - Excelsio.net

External links[edit]


Coordinates: 5°44′N 73°56′W / 5.733°N 73.933°W / 5.733; -73.933