Tupinambás Ecological Station
|Tupinambás Ecological Station|
|Estação Ecológica Tupinambás|
|Nearest city||Guarujá, São Paulo|
|Area||2,464 hectares (6,090 acres)|
|Created||20 July 1987|
The Tupinambás Ecological Station is a Federal conservation area covering 2,464 hectares (6,090 acres) administered by the Chico Mendes Institute for Biodiversity Conservation. It was created on 20 July 1987. It consists of the Paredão island between about 24°04' and 24°05' S and 45°43' and 45°44' W, the islets of Abatipossanga, Guaratingaçu, Carimacuí and Cunhambebe between about 24°06' and 24°07' S and 45°42' and 45°43' W, and other islets and rocks, and the sea within a radius of 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) from their surf. It is in the São Sebastião and Ubatuba municipalities of São Paulo State.
As of 2009 the Ecological Station was a "strict nature reserve" under IUCN protected area category Ia. Migratory species include royal tern (Sterna maxima), spotted sandpiper (Actitis macularia), South American tern (Sterna hirundinacea), white-rumped sandpiper (Calidris fuscicollis), Cape petrel (Daption capense), wandering albatross (Diomedea exulans), Wilson's storm petrel (Oceanites oceanicus), Magellanic penguin (Spheniscus magellanicus), orange-breasted falcon (Falco deiroleucus), ultramarine grosbeak (Passerina brissonii), peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus), great shearwater (Puffinus gravis), black-browed albatross (Thalassarche melanophris), humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae), Bryde's whale (Balaenoptera brydei), common minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata), Atlantic yellow-nosed albatross (Thalassarche chlororhynchos) and giant oceanic manta ray (Manta birostris).
- Esec Tupinambás – Chico Mendes.
- Unidade de Conservação ... MMA.
- Triana 2009.
- Bragança D.. 2017. Projeto monitora baleias no litoral norte de São Paulo. GoEco - Volunteer Abroad for Ecological & Humanitarian Projects. Retrieved on October 03, 2017
- Esec Tupinambás (in Portuguese), Chico Mendes Institute for Biodiversity Conservation, retrieved 2016-04-18
- Triana, Elisa (29 May 2009), "Strict Nature Reserves in Brazil", The Encyclopedia of Earth, retrieved 2016-04-15
- Unidade de Conservação: Estação Ecológica Tupinambás (in Portuguese), MMA: Ministério do Meio Ambiente, retrieved 2016-04-18