Turbot Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
|Turbot Township, Pennsylvania|
a farm in the township
Map of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania highlighting Turbot Township
Map of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
|• Type||Board of Supervisors|
|• Total||14.1 sq mi (36.4 km2)|
|• Land||13.9 sq mi (35.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|• Density||129.9/sq mi (50.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 14.1 square miles (36.4 km²), of which, 13.9 square miles (35.9 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.6 km²) of it (1.63%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,677 people, 674 households, and 518 families residing in the township. The population density was 121.1 people per square mile (46.8/km²). There were 692 housing units at an average density of 50.0/sq mi (19.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.44% White, 1.25% African American, 0.30% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.36% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.83% of the population.
There were 674 households out of which 28.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.3% were married couples living together, 3.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.1% were non-families. 20.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.6% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 26.8% from 45 to 64, and 19.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 99.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $43,704, and the median income for a family was $48,906. Males had a median income of $34,271 versus $24,375 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,732. About 3.3% of families and 6.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.6% of those under age 18 and 5.9% of those age 65 or over.
The local public school system is the Milton Area School District. It serves just over 2000 students. Enrollment is projected by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to decline significantly over the next ten years. In 2005, Standard & Poors reported the district's student teacher ratio was 13.9 to 1.
Milton High School has an 89.9% graduation rate according to the district report card 2005-2006. In 11th grade, 49.4% were proficient in math. For reading 63.2% were proficient in 2005-2006. The high school is ranked 374th out of 606 public high schools in Pennsylvania.
The Montandon Elementary School earned a No Child Left Behind Blue Ribbon Award for outstanding performance on the Pennsylvania System of School Assessment for 2005. The students scored 97.7% proficient or better in mathematics and 72.4% proficient in reading.
The Milton Area School Board set the budget at $24.8 million for 2007-2008. The board levies a variety of taxes to support its programs. Taxes include 48.39 mills real estate tax in 2007 for district properties located in Northumberland County. For properties located in White Deer Township, Union County the real estate property tax was set at 10.10 mills.
Voters rejected a tax referendum in May 2007. The proposal increased local earned income tax to reduce property taxes for primary homeowners and farmers.
By law, the local public school must provide transportation to schools within 10 miles of the borders of the school district at no charge to the student.
Several alternative schools, including parochial and charter, are available in the region.
- Helen Fairchild (1885–1918), a World War I nurse with the American Expeditionary Force
Notes and references
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Turbot Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved Aug 22, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- http://www.schoolmatters.com/app/data/q/stid=39/llid=116/stllid=151/locid=953558/catid=812/secid=3150/compid=771/site=pes School Matters, Standard & Poors.
- Valley schools all over the chart, Daily Item June 6, 2007 http://www.dailyitem.com/archivesearch/local_story_163000144.html
- http://www.pde.state.pa.us/k12/cwp/view.asp?Q=85585&A=228 NCLB - Blue Ribbon Schools, PDE web site.
- School board adopts $24.8M budget, Daily Item, June 22, 2007 http://www.dailyitem.com/archivesearch/local_story_173001607.html
- Tax reform proposal falls in all Valley school districts, Daily Item, May 19, 2007. http://www.dailyitem.com/archivesearch/local_story_139203055.html
- 24 PS 17-1726-A Transportation to charter schools http://www.pde.state.pa.us/transportation/lib/transportation/SchoolCode_Transportation_7-17-06.pdf