From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Grob G 102 Astir prototype with turbulator Tape under the wing

A turbulator is a device that turns a laminar flow into a turbulent flow. Turbulent flow can be desired on parts of the surface of an aircraft wing (airfoil) or in industrial applications such as heat exchangers and the mixing of fluids. The term “turbulator” is applied to a variety of applications and is used as a derivative of the word turbulent. However, the word has no commonly accepted technical or scientific meaning. As such, it has been approved as a trademark in the U.S. and other countries in conjunction with machine parts used within rotating drums, sterilizers, heat transfer ovens, mixing and pelletizing machines, and air destratification fans for horticultural and agricultural uses, among others.

In gliders the turbulator is often a thin zig-zag strip that is placed on the lower side of the wing and sometimes on the vertical stabilizer.[1]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ Maughmer, Mark D.; Swan, Timothy S.; Willits, Steven M. (July 2002). "Design and Testing of a Winglet Airfoil for Low-Speed Aircraft". Journal of Aircraft. 39 (4): 654–661. doi:10.2514/2.2978.