|Industry||Private client legal services|
|Scotland and UK|
Turcan Connell is a Scottish legal firm working exclusively with individuals, families and charities. It has offices in Edinburgh, Glasgow and London. Founded in 1997 from the private client unit of Dundas & Wilson, one of the oldest and largest firms in Scotland, it is widely considered the country's premier private client firm. Its 2011 turnover was £22.3m. The Lawyer magazine put the firm at number ninety-four on its list of the largest UK firms by 2010 turnover. The firm has twenty-one partners and over three hundred staff, working in Legal, Wealth Management and Tax.
The firm acts exclusively for individuals, families and charities, providing a full range of private client services. Its stated vision is "to offer all the professional advice under one roof that an individual might need during their lifetime."
It is rated by legal directory Legal500 as a first tier firm in Agriculture and estates, Charities, Family, and Personal tax, trusts and executries, its only other rating being in the third tier for Employment. It is described as "dominant on the private client front." In the Chambers and Partners directory, Agricultural & Rural Affairs, Charities, Family/Matrimonial and Private Client are rated Band 1, and Employment Band 5.
The firm was formed in August 1997 from the private client business of Dundas & Wilson, one of the largest firms in Scotland, which from then on focussed on commercial clients. The founding partners were Robert Turcan and Douglas Connell. Turcan had trained at Shepherd and Wedderburn, qualifying in 1972, and was assumed as a partner in Dundas & Wilson in 1973, while Connell had spent his entire career at D&W, qualifying in 1976 and being admitted to the partnership in 1979.
In December 1997, shortly after the firm's creation, the private client unit of rival W&J Burness joined the firm, at which point Turcan Connell also acquired Burness's Guernsey office. The firm opened its London office in 2007 to serve an "increasingly international client base." The firm's investment management capability was hived-off in April 2012 to create Turcan Connell Asset Management Limited, and a further office opened in Glasgow in September 2012.
- "Turcan Connell turnover". The Lawyer. 2011. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Turcan Connell rankings". Legal500. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Turcan Connell rankings". Chambers and Partners. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "About us". Turcan Connell. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Turcan Connell launches Glasgow base". The Lawyer. 20 April 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Dundas & Wilson confirms hive-off". The Lawyer. 24 June 1997. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Robert Turcan". Legal500. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Douglas Connell". Legal500. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "W&J Burness' private client unit jumps ship for Turcan Connell". The Lawyer. 14 October 1997. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "London launch for Scottish private client specialists". The Lawyer. 6 June 2007. Retrieved 25 August 2012.