Turf (Image Comics)
Cover of Turf 1 (April 2010)
Art by Tommy Lee Edwards
|Publication date||April 2010 – June 2011|
|No. of issues||5|
|Created by||Jonathan Ross|
Tommy Lee Edwards
|Written by||Jonathan Ross|
|Artist(s)||Tommy Lee Edwards|
|Colorist(s)||Tommy Lee Edwards|
Turf is a five-issue comic book limited series, written by Jonathan Ross, illustrated by Tommy Lee Edwards and published by American company Image Comics. It was later serialised in CLiNT, before being collected.
The narrative is set in 1920s Prohibition-era New York and features period typical gangsters alongside vampires and aliens. Ross himself, describes the comic as "An intelligent popcorn movie. lots of action, lots of setting, lots of cool ideas, but with an emotional heart to it".
The first 20,000 copies of issue 1 sold out on pre-orders alone. In interview, Ross has said that he intends the mini-series to run for five issues, eventually being released in a hardback collection and potentially a film adaptation, to be made by Matthew Vaughn.
In 2011, Benderspink has optioned a film adaptation of Turf.
The series was collected into a single volume:
- Turf (180 pages, hardcover, Images Comics, August 2011, ISBN 1-60706-400-6, Titan Books, September 2011, ISBN 1-84856-895-9)
- Aitkenhead, Decca (April 9, 2010). "Jonathan Ross: Can I be honest with you?". The Guardian. Retrieved April 10, 2010.
- Richards, Dave (September 1, 2009). "Tommy Lee Edwards & Jonathan Ross Defend Their "Turf"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- "Image Comics Announces "Turf"" (Press release). Comic Book Resources. January 7, 2010. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- Johnston, Rich (August 20, 2009). "Turf – Jonathan Ross And Tommy Lee Edwards' New Comic". Bleeding Cool.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (5 December 2011). "Benderspink Stakes Out 'Turf' For Film". Deadline. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Smart, James (15 September 2011). "Turf by Jonathan Ross & Tommy Lee Edwards – review". The Guardian.