Turgo is a small basaltic hill on the southern slopes of Gunung Merapi, Central Java, Indonesia, and is also known as Gunung Turgo or Mount Turgo. Recent work suggests that the hill itself is older than the present volcanic cone of Gunung Merapi. It is just west of Plawangan, the valley between the two has been subject to nuée ardente in the 1990s which killed local villagers.
Despite the very small area on the peak of Turgo, it has some sacred graves that are attributed to be connected with Sheikh Jumadil Qubro, a direct descendant of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad, and as consequence is considered to be part of the complex network of graves that constitute the Javanese sacred places Dutch anthropologist Martin van Bruinessen has written about this character following his residence in Yogyakarta.
It is also located within the Plawangan Turgo nature reserve, a 200 ha (490-acre) nature reserve on the slope of Merapi that has rare animals and plants occurring in its area.
- Voight, B.; Constantine, E.K.; Siswowidjoyo, S.; Torley, R. (July 2000). "Historical eruptions of Merapi Volcano, Central Java, Indonesia, 1768–1998". Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. Elsevier. 100 (1–4): 69–138. doi:10.1016/S0377-0273(00)00134-7.
- Gertisser, Ralf; Charbonnier, Sylvain J.; Keller, Jörg; Quidelleur, Xavier (2012). "The geological evolution of Merapi volcano, Central Java, Indonesia". Bulletin of Volcanology. Springer. 74 (5): 1213–1233. doi:10.1007/s00445-012-0591-3.
- Voight, B.; Davis, M.J. (July 2000). "Emplacement temperatures of the November 22, 1994 nuée ardente deposits, Merapi Volcano, Java". Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. Elsevier. 100 (1–4): 371–377. doi:10.1016/S0377-0273(00)00146-3.
- Itoh, H.; Takahama, J.; Takahashi, M.; Miyamoto, K. (July 2000). "Hazard estimation of the possible pyroclastic flow disasters using numerical simulation related to the 1994 activity at Merapi Volcano". Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 100 (1–4): 503–516. doi:10.1016/S0377-0273(00)00153-0.
- van Bruinessen, Martin (22 August 2010). "Najmuddin al-Kubra, Jumadil Kubra and Jamaluddin al-Akbar: Traces of Kubrawiyya influence in early Indonesian Islam". Majelis Dakwah Wali Songo. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Bambang, M. (28 May 2002). "Rare birds, orchids saved in Plawangan". The Jakarta Post. Jakarta. Retrieved 18 September 2012.