Turkdean shown within Gloucestershire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Turkdean was recorded as Turcandene in the 8th century and was listed as Turchedene or Turghedene in the Domesday Book of 1086. It derives from the Old English for "valley (denu) of a river called Turce", with Turce or Twrch being a lost Celtic river name, possibly meaning boar.
Turkdean is part of the Sandywell ward of the district of Cotswold, represented by Councillor Robin Hughes, a member of the Conservative Party. Turkdean is part of the constituency of Cotswold, represented at parliament by Conservative MP Geoffrey Clifton-Brown. It is part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament.
Turkdean is in the county of Gloucestershire and lies within the Cotswolds, a range of hills designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is approximately 30 km (20 mi) to the east of Gloucester. It is approximately 21 km (13 mi) east of its post town Cheltenham and about 8 km (5 mi) south-west of Bourton-on-the-Water. The southeastern boundary follows the route of the Roman road the Fosse Way. Nearby villages include Cold Aston, Hazleton, Clapton, Farmington and Hampnett.
In popular culture
In the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark, Harrison Ford's character, archaeologist Indiana Jones mentions the neolithic barrow at Turkdean, near Hazleton, during a lecture. There are two Neolithic long barrows at Hazleton, one of which was excavated over three summer seasons between 1980-1982.
- Mills, A. D. (1998). Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford University Press. p. 354. ISBN 0-19-280074-4.
- "Turkdean". Domesday Book. The National Archives. 1086. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- Herbert, N. M. (2001), "Parishes: Turkdean", A History of the County of Gloucester: volume 9, pp. 217–233, retrieved 25 January 2010
- "Member's Details — Mr Robin Lawrence Hughes". Cotswold District Council. 2008. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- "Cotswold — Find your councillor". Cotswold District Council. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- "Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP". Official site. 2010. Retrieved 14 June 2010.
- "Indiana Jones: The Gloucestershire Connection". BBC. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- "Time Team: The 98 series — Programme 4: Turkdean, Gloucestershire". Channel 4. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
Media related to Turkdean at Wikimedia Commons