Turkish Historical Society
|Established||April 15, 1931|
|President||Prof. Dr. Refik TURAN|
The Turkish Historical Society also known as Turkish Historical Association or Turkish History Foundation (Turkish: Türk Tarih Kurumu, TTK) is a research society studying the history of Turkey and the Turkish people, founded in 1931 by the initiative of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, with headquarters in Ankara, Turkey.
in 1930 the Committee for the study of Turkish History (Türk Tarihi Tektik Heyeti) was established with the support of the Turkish Hearths. in 1931 the Association for the Study of Turkish History (Türk Tarihi Tektik Cemiyeti) was founded which in 1935 was renamed in Turkish Historical Society.
In 1930 the book Türk Tarihinin Anahatlirin (The Mainlines of Turkish History) which emphasized the ability of Turks was published under the auspices of the Committee for the study of Turkish HistoryThis book, printed only 100 times, formed the basis for the Turkish History Thesis, which posited that Turks emigrated in several waves to China, India, Northern Africa and Europa to populate the areas and bringing the native people there civilization.
The institute releases a regular bulletin called Belleten.
In July 2008 its president Yusuf Halaçoğlu was dismissed. It was speculated that the decision reflected the government's desire for rapprochement with Armenia. Shortly before the decision, foreign minister Ali Babacan greeted Armen Martirosyan, Armenia's ambassador to the United Nations, in a reception related to Turkey's temporary accession the UN Security Council. Before that, president Serzh Sargsyan had invited his Turkish counterpart, Abdullah Gül, to a World Cup qualifying game between the two countries' national soccer teams.
Presidents by the following years:
- Tevfik Bıyıklıoğlu (1931-1932)
- Prof. Dr. Yusuf Akçura (1932-1935)
- Hasan Cemil Çambel (1935-1941)
- Ord. Prof. Dr. Şemsettin Günaltay (1941-1961)
- Şevket Aziz Kansu (1962-1973)
- Ord. Prof. Dr. Enver Ziya Karal (1973-1982)
- Ord. Prof. Dr. Sedat Alp (1982-1983)
- Prof. Dr. Yaşar Yücel (1983-1992)
- Prof. Dr. Neşet Çağatay (deputy) (1992-1993)
- Prof. Dr. İbrahim Agah Çubukçu (deputy) (1993)
- Prof. Dr. Yusuf Halaçoğlu (1993-2008)
- Prof. Dr. Ali Birinci (2008-2011)
- Prof. Dr. Bahaeddin Yediyıldız (deputy) (2011-2012)
- Prof. Dr. Mehmet Metin Hülagü (2012-2014)
- Prof. Dr. Mehmet Ali Beyhan (deputy) (2014-2015)
- Prof. Dr. Refik Turan - 2015 - Current
- "Short History of the Turkish Historical Society". Turkish Historical Society. Archived from the original on 2008-07-25. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Uzer, Umut (2016). An Intellectual History of Turkish Nationalism. The University of Utah Press. p. 102. ISBN 9781607814658.
- White, Jenny (2014). Muslim Nationalism and the New Turks: Updated Edition. Princeton University Press. p. 26. ISBN 978-0691161921.
- "Presidents" (in Turkish). Turkish Historical Society. Archived from the original on 2008-07-25. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Özerkan, Fulya (2008-07-24). "Controversial historian dismissed from office". Turkish Daily News. Retrieved 2008-07-25.[permanent dead link]
- Demirci, Mehmet (2008-07-24). "Armenian envoy attends Turkish reception at UN". Zaman. Archived from the original on 2008-07-31. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
Media related to Turkish Historical Society at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organisation in Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Turkish history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|