Turkish Historical Society
|Established||April 15, 1931|
|President||Prof. Dr. Refik TURAN|
The Turkish Historical Society also known as Turkish Historical Association or Turkish History Foundation (Turkish: Türk Tarih Kurumu, TTK) is a research society studying the history of Turkey and the Turkish people, founded in 1931 by the initiative of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, with headquarters in Ankara, Turkey.
The institute releases a regular bulletin called Belleten.
In July 2008 its president Yusuf Halaçoğlu was dismissed. It was speculated that the decision reflected the government's desire for rapprochement with Armenia. Shortly before the decision, foreign minister Ali Babacan greeted Armen Martirosyan, Armenia's ambassador to the United Nations, in a reception related to Turkey's temporary accession the UN Security Council. Before that, president Serzh Sargsyan had invited his Turkish counterpart, Abdullah Gül, to a World Cup qualifying game between the two countries' national soccer teams.
Presidents by the following years:
- Tevfik Bıyıklıoğlu (1931-1932)
- Prof. Dr. Yusuf Akçura (1932-1935)
- Hasan Cemil Çambel (1935-1941)
- Ord. Prof. Dr. Şemsettin Günaltay (1941-1961)
- Şevket Aziz Kansu (1962-1973)
- Ord. Prof. Dr. Enver Ziya Karal (1973-1982)
- Ord. Prof. Dr. Sedat Alp (1982-1983)
- Prof. Dr. Yaşar Yücel (1983-1992)
- Prof. Dr. Neşet Çağatay (deputy) (1992-1993)
- Prof. Dr. İbrahim Agah Çubukçu (deputy) (1993)
- Prof. Dr. Yusuf Halaçoğlu (1993-2008)
- Prof. Dr. Ali Birinci (2008-2011)
- Prof. Dr. Bahaeddin Yediyıldız (deputy) (2011-2012)
- Prof. Dr. Mehmet Metin Hülagü (2012-2014)
- Prof. Dr. Mehmet Ali Beyhan (deputy) (2014-2015)
- Prof. Dr. Refik Turan - 2015 - Current
- "Short History of the Turkish Historical Society". Turkish Historical Society. Archived from the original on 2008-07-25. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- "Presidents" (in Turkish). Turkish Historical Society. Archived from the original on 2008-07-25. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Özerkan, Fulya (2008-07-24). "Controversial historian dismissed from office". Turkish Daily News. Retrieved 2008-07-25.[permanent dead link]
- Demirci, Mehmet (2008-07-24). "Armenian envoy attends Turkish reception at UN". Zaman. Archived from the original on 2008-07-31. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
Media related to Turkish Historical Society at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organisation in Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Turkish history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|