Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
|Current status||Semiactive. Banned in Turkey by Turkish government.|
The Turkish Wikipedia (Turkish: Türkçe Vikipedi) is the Turkish language edition of Wikipedia, spelled Vikipedi. Started in December 2002, as of 19 September 2019 this edition has 333,602 articles and is the 30th largest Wikipedia edition.
In November 2006, the Turkish Wikipedia was nominated under the Science category for Altın Örümcek Web Ödülleri (Golden Spider Web Awards), which are commonly known as the "Web Oscars" for Turkey. In January 2007, the Turkish Wikipedia was given the award for "Best Content" in this competition. The award was given in a ceremony on 25 January 2007 at Istanbul Technical University.
On 29 April 2017, the Turkish government blocked access to Wikipedia. While the reasons for the blockage are unrevealed, some believe that the encyclopedia has been blocked because the Turkish government is concerned about the appearance of articles critical of its actions regarding Turkey–ISIL cooperation.
- January 2004 — 100 articles
- July 2004 — 1,000 articles
- November 2005 — 10,000 articles
- March 2007 — ~55,000 articles
- February 2008 — 100,000 articles
- 9 December 2012 — 200,000 articles
In 2019 the Turkish Wikipedia has 226 thousand unique categories and 4.59% of them do not have appropriate page in the category namespace. The average article in this language version has 7 categories, while number of unique categories per articles ratio is 0.694. The largest number of articles has People (28%) and Geography (10%) category. In Turkish Wikipedia articles related to Nature and Crime has the highest average quality. Content about Politics is read more often and articles in Events category have the highest authors' interest on average.
- "List of Wikipedias - Meta". Meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2017-10-14.
- "5. Altın Örümcek Web Ödülleri".
- "Altın Örümcek - Geçmiş Yıllar - Değerlendirme Süreci".
- "Altın Örümcek ödülleri açıklandı".
- "Google 8 Mart Dünya Kadınlar Günü doodle'ı hazırladı" (in Turkish). Radikal. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Turkish authorities block Wikipedia". BBC. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Terör destekçisi Wikipedia'ya yasak" (in Turkish). Sabah. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Turkey blocks Wikipedia over what it calls terror 'smear campaign'". CNN. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "List of Wikipedias/Table - Meta".
- Wikipedia:Milestone statistics
- Lewoniewski, Włodzimierz; Węcel, Krzysztof; Abramowicz, Witold (2019). "Multilingual Ranking of Wikipedia Articles with Quality and Popularity Assessment in Different Topics". Computers. 8 (3). doi:10.3390/computers8030060. Retrieved 2019-08-24.
|Turkish edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Turkish Wikipedia.|
|This Wikimedia Foundation-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|