Turkish motorcycle Grand Prix
|Grand Prix motorcycle racing|
|Most wins (rider)||Marco Melandri, Casey Stoner (2)|
|Most wins (manufacturer)||Honda (5)|
The Turkish Motorcycle Grand Prix was a motorcycling event that was part of the World Motorcycle Racing season.
The inaugural race was held in 2005 after the Rio de Janeiro Grand Prix was scrapped from the calendar. However, after only three years, the race was taken off the calender due to financial troubles. The Istanbul Park circuit had problems raising the money to stage a MotoGP round every year, and the local authorities refused to help with the funding of the race, despite the boost it gave to the local economy. After the venue was taken over by now ex-Formula One chief executive Bernie Ecclestone and DORNA chairman Carmelo Ezpeleta said that no decision was taken about including the Turkish GP into the 2008 calendar, the race was dropped and replaced by the Portuguese Grand Prix, who was moved to the now empty Turkey slot after the Indianapolis Grand Prix was confirmed.
Winners of the Turkish Motorcycle Grand Prix
Multiple winners (riders)
|2||Marco Melandri||MotoGP||2005, 2006|
Multiple winners (manufacturers)
|250 cc||2006, 2007|
|125 cc||2006, 2007|
|Year||Track||125 cc||250 cc||MotoGP||Report|
|2007||Istanbul Park||Simone Corsi||Aprilia||Andrea Dovizioso||Honda||Casey Stoner||Ducati||Report|
|2006||Istanbul Park||Héctor Faubel||Aprilia||Hiroshi Aoyama||Honda||Marco Melandri||Honda||Report|
|2005||Istanbul Park||Mike di Meglio||Honda||Casey Stoner||Aprilia||Marco Melandri||Honda||Report|
- "Körfez'de, Motosiklet Pist Şampiyonası yarışları". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2006-10-15. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "İzmir'de motosiklet yarışı heyecanı". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2008-09-17. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- Sports, Dorna. "Turkish Grand Prix confirmed - MotoGP™". www.motogp.com.
- "Rio GP Canceled, Event In Turkey Added To 2005 MotoGP Schedule". www.roadracingworld.com.
- "CNN.com - Rio race axed from MotoGP calendar - Feb 18, 2005". edition.cnn.com.
- Lostia, Michele. "Turkey dropped from 2008 calendar - MotoGP - Autosport".
- "Provisional 2008 MotoGP Calendar Announced - Istanbul Gone - MotoMatters.com - Kropotkin Thinks". motomatters.com.
- "Turkey GP future in the air".
- Lostia, Michele. "MotoGP news: Turkey dropped from 2008 calendar". AUTOSPORT.com.
|This Motorcycle racing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|